NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Caregivers Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/)
-   -   You might be a caregiver if... (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/85259-caregiver.html)

SandyC 04-23-2009 05:52 PM

You might be a caregiver if...

1. Your new hobby is canceling credit cards, writing letters to collection agencies and canceling numerous magazine subscriptions.

2. You spend 1/3 of vacation time backtracking as you look for eyeglasses, purse, hat, gloves and sweaters.

3. You place most of the bills in a folder labeled, "I will think about this tomorrow."

*edit* - http://waiting.com/caregiverhumor.html
copyright ©2002 - 2013 Attorney Gordon S. Johnson, Jr., All rights reserved.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

tied 04-24-2009 03:35 PM

where's that sale? impulse shopping anyone?

i must be a caregiver because i read the whole thing.

i must be one because now that my brother is taking a turn at it i can't stop worrying about how my dad is.

dad got on an independent streak, drove across country, devised a strategy for keeping his hands at 10 and 2 because "it wakes me up when i fall asleep at the wheel because my hands fall in my lap."

when i impulse shop it's for an assisted living center, a nursing home, or an over 55 community i am checking out for my dad, because even though he isn't interested i promised my sister. i tell myself, yah, i won't take him there unless he's unconscious. but i pick up the flyer anyway.

babie_racer_in 04-27-2009 09:33 PM

lol this is funny and true

This was funny. Most of them apply to me and I did read the whole thing. I am a care giver:D

SandyC 04-28-2009 11:09 AM

I just thought of a couple more.

You wait until dark to put out the trash and check the mail because your still in your jammies. If you must go out in the day, you throw on something you hope looks like you don't stay in your jammies all day. :D

You live by the clock. Everything is planned down to the last minute. X amount of time for this, x amount of time for that just to get out of the house or up for company. :p

jon 05-24-2009 06:53 PM

I identified with everything I read. I'm 78, live alone and have all those thoughts and problems. Wish I had a caregiver, and I know how you all feel, because I've been a caregiver for everyone. Now, my 18 year old cat gets all the benefits. You know, food and water!

What does this say about me???

CoolAngel26 05-24-2009 07:52 PM

Not a caregiver..is it cool to contribute anyway?

You have your daughter on speed-text anytime you are stressed.(Guys,Mom and Grandmother live together,I live three hours away,and can tell when Mom is going nuts.)

You wish you hadn't gotten rid of Grandma's gun,when you moved in with her..:D:D)

You think coffee ice cream should not be considered junk food,because,that is the only thing she will eat.

If I think of any more..I will contribute,if that's cool! Kristin

SandyC 05-25-2009 10:23 AM

Kepp them coming! This is great! Laughter is the best medicine!

Dejibo 05-29-2009 03:02 PM

you know your a care giver when you take a bag full of sweat shirts, and sweat pants, and socks to the nursing home or rehab center with you when you visit, because you are tired of seeing so many who cannot afford them wearing your loved ones shirts, or pants. (i used to do that when my uncle was committed. it was horrible)

You know your a caregiver when you hang up on brothers or sisters after shouting THEN YOU COME HELP ME, and we will do it YOUR way! Till then, its MY way, or nothing. nothing like helpful advice from 2k miles away.

SandyC 05-31-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejibo (Post 516627)
you know your a care giver when you take a bag full of sweat shirts, and sweat pants, and socks to the nursing home or rehab center with you when you visit, because you are tired of seeing so many who cannot afford them wearing your loved ones shirts, or pants. (i used to do that when my uncle was committed. it was horrible)

I know this one very well since I worked in a NH and had loved ones in some. You also know your a caregiver if you use a sharpie to mark every piece of clothing so you can prove that's your loved ones clothes. When you find the sharpie wears off you resort to sewing the name on. :D

GmaSue 05-31-2009 08:29 PM

You know you're a cargiver if...
when you are making a nutritious meal for them, you feel like you should be setting up meds-when you are setting up meds, you feel like you should be starting their laundry-when youare starting their laundry, you feel like you should be working on the insurance claims, etc. etc. etc.

even though it takes up your whole life, you are still glad you get to do it...