NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Hydrocephalus (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/)
-   -   shunt position and glasses (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/85525-shunt-position-glasses.html)

betty21 04-26-2009 10:38 AM

shunt position and glasses

i had my vp shunt put in just over 2 motnhs ago - i wear glasses -not all the time but most of th etime - anyway recently ive noticed a really bad pain around my right ear where my shunt is - the sensitivity and pain is there all the time but is worse when i wear my glasses - does anyone know whether this is likely to settle - would it beenfit be by simply asking for my glasses to be adjusted??

thanks

jadiee-x 04-27-2009 04:39 AM

Hi Betty,
i find the positioning of the shunt a total pain in the neck!!

Sun glasses and Alicebands/headbands also cause me grief, ive also been told i need to wear glasses for vision in my right idea which went up the wall after my last full shunt revision!!

When i wear my Alice band, I do get sharp shooting pains, like a sharp thump to the shunt, near the valve area.
I do get this without wearing one, but it tends to reoccur alot when im wearing glasses or the headband.

I havent queried it with the hospital, as although it was uncomfortable with my last shunt too...i never had the pains, only since this shunt.

Hope youre well
Take care :)

betty21 04-29-2009 04:18 AM

thanks

i can feel my shunt in my head and all down my neck - all behind my ear is still very sensitive and i hardly touch it. the glasses problem thou - i do think they are getting more uncomfortable. im not entirely sure where about the shunt is exactly in my head.though i have noticed what can only be described as a lump behind my hear - well not really a lump more of my head feels a different shape to what it used to - so i guess that is where the shunt can be!

sorry i dont half wallfe on dont i!!!

have you had your glasses readjusted or anything to help themsit behind your ear?im not sure exactly what they would do thou!

TEC49 05-06-2009 09:23 AM

Shunt position

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty21 (Post 501360)
i had my vp shunt put in just over 2 motnhs ago - i wear glasses -not all the time but most of th etime - anyway recently ive noticed a really bad pain around my right ear where my shunt is - the sensitivity and pain is there all the time but is worse when i wear my glasses - does anyone know whether this is likely to settle - would it beenfit be by simply asking for my glasses to be adjusted??thanks

Betty21,Hi. Ihope you're doing better.* I've had my VP shunt over 2 years now. Sadly my pain is pretty bad every day.* Having said that, your glasses coudl be part of the problem.* Make the adjustment on the glasses and also contact your doctor to verify your shunt position and function is ok.* Don't take a chance.* Make sure things are operating properly.* You are 2 months in and you are still adjusting.* I still see my doctor 2 to 3 times a month.* I am able to do this , because of VA coverage which helps a little.* My personal situaion is very bad, my family and I are homeless and currently living with my sister and the list goes on.:( You just hang in there and trust in God for he is faithful.TEC49

betty21 05-07-2009 03:28 PM

hi

i saw my surgeon about 3 weeks ago - i had my shunt fitted 3months ago - and i dont go back to see him til august - is this normal waiting time??

im going to pain clinic in a couple of weeks.but i have definatley noticed one of my pairs of glasses definately makes things worse - i didnt think of getting my glasses adjusted - i guess i thought they wouldnt know what the shunt was! i think aswell i dont completely understand where the shunt is in myhead - i think if i did it would make sense!!

but i think i do definately need to get the glasses adjusted as they are even sore now as im typing!!

TEC49 05-08-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty21 (Post 507229)
hi

i saw my surgeon about 3 weeks ago - i had my shunt fitted 3months ago - and i dont go back to see him til august - is this normal waiting time??

im going to pain clinic in a couple of weeks.but i have definatley noticed one of my pairs of glasses definately makes things worse - i didnt think of getting my glasses adjusted - i guess i thought they wouldnt know what the shunt was! i think aswell i dont completely understand where the shunt is in myhead - i think if i did it would make sense!!

but i think i do definately need to get the glasses adjusted as they are even sore now as im typing!!

Betty21 Hi.

adjusting those glasses and seeing your doctor are the right moves. I remember the first time my surgeon said I'll see you in three months I almost went into shock:eek: He must have gotten 10 calls those 3 months. Oh, and a couple of walk in visits:) I've gone back and researched my shunt and valve. I know exactly where the shunt is located. What ever you think will give you more confidence, then you should do it. I beleive the more knowledge I have the better I'll know if there's a problem. I know thats ok. As for the pain, I shared with you what I'm talking and its not healing it, just helps me to deal with it. Theres much that can be shared God willing time will be our friend as I know that He loves and cares for us. I no longer have any fear about this.

TEC49

lezliej 08-06-2009 09:27 PM

Eye problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadiee-x (Post 501643)
Hi Betty,
i find the positioning of the shunt a total pain in the neck!!

Sun glasses and Alicebands/headbands also cause me grief, ive also been told i need to wear glasses for vision in my right idea which went up the wall after my last full shunt revision!!

When i wear my Alice band, I do get sharp shooting pains, like a sharp thump to the shunt, near the valve area.
I do get this without wearing one, but it tends to reoccur alot when im wearing glasses or the headband.

I havent queried it with the hospital, as although it was uncomfortable with my last shunt too...i never had the pains, only since this shunt.

Hope youre well
Take care :)

Can you elaborate on your eye problem after your last shunt revision? My daughter just had a full revision and her site went from a 20/90 in one eye, a 20/100 in the other......to one month post surgery....20/60 and 20/400!!!!

It's only been a month....not sure what to do....

Thanks

MissRachelRoo 05-22-2012 12:35 AM

I also wear glasses and it rubs against where my shunt is...very uncomfortable. I tend to take my glasses of for a few minutes at a time throughout the day to give the spot a rest. Beyond that, unfortunately, I don't have any advice, but just thought I'd let you know I'm in the same boat :)