NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Magic Jack??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/85639-magic-jack.html)

Friend2U 04-27-2009 01:03 PM

Magic Jack???

Has anyone tried the Magic Jack phone line???? How do you like it?

http://www.magicjack.com

Jomar 04-27-2009 01:28 PM

I haven't tried it yet , I did order it last year sometime but then was reading all the various reviews and decided to wait until it was more stable/improved.
I emailed and canceled my order.

but I haven't checked it out again since then.

so you might do a search for new reviews to see what is being said now.

ewizabeth 04-27-2009 01:34 PM

My sister has it and likes it.

brandonwall 05-13-2009 10:25 AM

I did my final presentation on security threat associated with a VoIP. It makes me nervous to get one. If you have Power Point Ill upload the file.

DizzyLizzy 05-13-2009 09:18 PM

My neighbors have a Magic Jack and will be going back to a standard, land-line again soon. I talk with my neighbor (friend) almost every day on my way home from work, and I would say 2-3 days a week we will be in the middle of a conversation and all of a sudden she can no longer hear me on the other end of the line. She ends up talking into the phone saying that she "hopes I can hear her and she will call me back!" When she calls back, it is normally working fine for the rest of the call.

Other times when she is getting a call on her second line, she will put me on hold and the "on-hold" music is SO LOUD!!!!! It is like, turning your TV to the loudest possible volume say.... level 30 after it had been at level 2 all day! It is quite shocking actually, and can make me a bit crabby:mad:

She also has voiced concerns over making an emergency 911 call if the occasion arrives because her young children have turned off her computer's power several times, which means she does not have an active telephone line....... can you imagine needed to call for help, but you have to wait until your computer boots up to make a call??

These are just some things to think about....not sure if these things happen to other MagicJack users, but this is the experience that I know of.

Dejibo 05-14-2009 04:36 PM

My neighbor who is the cheapest man on the face of the earth ordered some special deal with magic jack. It was like free for 6 months, or something silly. He was bragging for a week about it, and then...nothing. When I pressed him for answers he told me it was the cheapest peice of crap he ever owned. Said his calls were dropped, and the volume had issues, and he could hear an echo for most calls, like he was speaking into a stadium microphone. He said he works from home, and it was crazy to keep asking folks to invest money in his projects, when the phone calls were of such dismal quality. He mailed it back to the company, and said..."there is no such thing as a free lunch."

I too was in line to try it, but quit after hearing his review.

Bobcmoc 05-19-2009 02:05 PM

SKYPE software

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonwall (Post 509598)
I did my final presentation on security threat associated with a VoIP. It makes me nervous to get one. If you have Power Point Ill upload the file.

Have used SKYPE for about 3 years or so. If you comm from computer (PC or MAC) to computer it is absolutely free. It is bulletproof enough that businesses use it. You can comm from pc or mac to a telco phone for ~2cents/min. They had ~+11,000,000 people online one day last week. The company is owned by ebay and rumored to be up for sale. The brains of the company are from Estonia and they are afraid of Western governments.
Bob

Dejibo 05-19-2009 03:45 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE my skype! The DH talks to his family in Italy all the time. I talk to the neighbors up the street, and some childhood friends in NC. its wonderful! It is great to get to see who I am talking to, but I feel like I need to wash my face, and comb my hair before I answer the computer phone. You can also just use it for voice calls and skip the video portion.

freebird 05-17-2011 01:10 PM

I read bad stuff about the "Magic Jack" when I researched it awhile back. People were saying it installed extra stuff (spyware?) on their computer and they couldn't get rid of it.