NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   physio/relative with parkinsons (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/85850-physio-relative-parkinsons.html)

chris101 04-29-2009 05:35 PM

physio/relative with parkinsons

Hi, I’m working towards doing a physio degree and wanted to find out a bit more about the way physio is used in Parkinson’s and about how the condition affects people. My granddad has Parkinsons and I would like to know if there is anything I can do for him, physio based or not.

Any input people have would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Chicory 04-29-2009 08:50 PM

It is very important for people with Parkinson's to get exercise and physical therapy as part of an exercise regime helps a lot. I went for physical therapy for my shoulders and I was surprised at how much it helped. Now I must keep doing the exercises every day. If do not do them, I have trouble reaching into high cupboards in my kitchen and I also have trouble driving more than a short distance because my arms hurt when I hold them up on the steering wheel.

Parkinson's makes our bodies stiff. Exercise and physical therapy can help slow the progression of the stiffness.

The book Parkinson's Disease and the Art of Moving by John Argue will help you to help your father.

chris101 05-09-2009 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicory (Post 503235)
It is very important for people with Parkinson's to get exercise and physical therapy as part of an exercise regime helps a lot. I went for physical therapy for my shoulders and I was surprised at how much it helped. Now I must keep doing the exercises every day. If do not do them, I have trouble reaching into high cupboards in my kitchen and I also have trouble driving more than a short distance because my arms hurt when I hold them up on the steering wheel.

Parkinson's makes our bodies stiff. Exercise and physical therapy can help slow the progression of the stiffness.

The book Parkinson's Disease and the Art of Moving by John Argue will help you to help your father.

Thanks for the reply, will check out some of those books, :)

chasmo 05-09-2009 08:32 AM

thoughts

Balance ecercises are good. They are best done in a pool to cushion the inevitable falls. STretching is also advisable, that really helps, especially with dystonia.
Strength and cardiovascular training is good too. USe low weights and high reps. A recumbant exercise bike is my favorite for that. Be careful with treadmills, they tend to spit us parkies off!!

Charlie

reverett123 05-09-2009 01:26 PM

Wii? Oui!

I got a Wii game console a couple of weeks ago complete with the balance board controller and I find that I am actually using it. If you can get him to try i the might get hooked. It tracks your data, too, so that would be a big help for your project.

Also, you might want to look into Electric Muscle Stimulators since as a Physio you will be using them. See the thread about spinal stimulation.

caya 05-09-2009 10:20 PM

Chasmo:

Please forgive me if I appear a little stupid around the edged but what does it mean where you say "be careful of treadmills, as they tend to spit off us parkies"? What does spitting have to do with a treadmill? Again, I apologize but I think I just do not fully understand the language like I should.I use a treadmill almost daily and your warning concerns me greatly. I just do not know what exactly it is I am concerned about. Can you explain this to me. Thank you for your patience and understnding.

caya

chasmo 05-10-2009 08:19 AM

Caya;
Sorry 'bout that!!

What I meant was many of us have difficulty walking and it is hard for us to keep up with a treadmill. This is NOT to say that many of us cannot use one, just be careful when you start using one.

Hope this explains things!

Charlie

Curious 05-10-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caya (Post 508205)
Chasmo:

Please forgive me if I appear a little stupid around the edged but what does it mean where you say "be careful of treadmills, as they tend to spit off us parkies"? What does spitting have to do with a treadmill? Again, I apologize but I think I just do not fully understand the language like I should.I use a treadmill almost daily and your warning concerns me greatly. I just do not know what exactly it is I am concerned about. Can you explain this to me. Thank you for your patience and understnding.

caya

Hi Caya,

My husband and I own a gym. He has clients who have PD, as does my father.

Since a treadmill has a belt that keeps you walking, if you shuffle or have any problem picking your feet up with every step, the belt can catch the bottom of your foot...and spit..throw you off the back.

If you are using a treadmill at a gym, let the staff know you have PD, so they can keep an eye out for any potential accidents.

Using an eliptical, stepper or bike are great alternatives. Not that people with PD can't or shouldn't use a treadmill, just use caution.

Really...everyone should. We had a member the other day who decided to take his sweatshirt off right in the middle of jogging on the treadmill. :eek: Yep..he got spit off. Didn't get hurt thank goodness.

Chris, how old is your dad? Stabilty exercises and building a good core really help. Doing exercises that are more in an occupational manner too.

One of my husbands clients hadn't been able to climb stair in years. Doing step up exercises fixed that. Christmas before last during a party, his wife found him upstairs showing guests the house. He had never been upstairs in that house. :D