NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   What should I do - Flu and air travel (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/85941-flu-air-travel.html)

daisyem 04-30-2009 03:37 PM

What should I do - Flu and air travel

I am still recovering from a really bad cold which has left me with an horrendous cough. I am due to travel from Arizona to England on Tuesday next and am concerned that I will still have the coughs and sniffles. I do not want to cause fellow passengers any concern and wonder if I should use a face mask, does any one have any suggestions and my cough is really bad, in spite of medications.:confused:

Lara 04-30-2009 05:16 PM

Yikes. How awful for you daisyem and what a terrible time to need to travel.

I would suggest contacting your doctor and your airline.

Have you had a cold or do you actually have influenza? I mean, have you been tested for anything more sinister than a cold?

Just watching the morning news here in Australia and they're being really, really strict.

They've even started special thermal testing of all passengers arriving from overseas. People are all wearing masks coming off the planes here. I don't wish to alarm you too much but it's pretty alarming what's happening. I don't know, but I even doubt they'll let you on a plane if you lived in my country (Australia) if you're feverish or have terrible symptoms here at the moment. Anyone with temperature going through the scanners is taken away for testing here by the sound of it. I believe they've even brought in new legislation so that people can be detained for testing. It's pretty darn serious.

Koala77 04-30-2009 07:54 PM

Hi there daisyem.

I moved your post from where you'd put it, because I didn't want it to get lost. That other forum moves really quickly and your thread would soon be on Page Two. :(

Also, I thought more people would see it here in the Social Forum, and that way you'd be more likely to get the answers that you seek.

I hope your symptoms settle soon, so you can have that trip as planned. :hug:

Alffe 05-01-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyem (Post 503761)
I am still recovering from a really bad cold which has left me with an horrendous cough. I am due to travel from Arizona to England on Tuesday next and am concerned that I will still have the coughs and sniffles. I do not want to cause fellow passengers any concern and wonder if I should use a face mask, does any one have any suggestions and my cough is really bad, in spite of medications.:confused:

Can you get your dr. to write a note saying that you have been tested for and do not have the flu? And yes, I'd wear a mask. :hug:

tovaxin_lab_rat 05-02-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyem (Post 503761)

My suggestion to you is to contact the airline you will be flying and see if they have instituted any specific protocol for passengers who have colds and/or allergies that may be of concern to other passengers and/or crew members.

There are no quarantines at this point in time according to my source at Homeland Security. You can check CDC.gov and read the latest assessment/threat level which, as of today, is level 5. However, it is believed that CDC will raise that to level 6 tomorrow if any new cases are confirmed. Unnecessary air travel to and/or from Mexico is not recommended at this time, but I have not read any other restrictions. CDC is also not recommending that anyone who has a fever or who knows they are sick with any kind of flu travel or mingle with the general public.

You can also read this site for the latest briefing for the Department of Homeland Security on the TSA Website:

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1240773850207.shtm

TSA always posts the lastest news and keeps their site updated for travelers. Airlines have to abide by TSA and Homeland Security regulations but may also have their own in house (cabin) protocols for passenger awareness/safety that go above and beyond that of TSA/DHS/CDC.

Have a safe trip.

~~Flygirl~~~

DizzyLizzy 05-03-2009 01:09 AM

I'd wear a mask and wear a shirt with a sign pinned to it that reads.......

"It's just a cold, really" :)

NurseNancy 05-04-2009 03:25 PM

i'm a little late here seeing your post and my advice might be too late.
i once had a nasty bronchitis and couldn't stop coughing. my allergist gave me a cough medicine call Tussionex. it's got some codeine in it and regular use stopped my cough finally. that allowed my airway to heal and the inflammation to decrease.

i hope your dr will try something else to help you.
FG's post suggestions were good.