NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Exercise in a chair (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/86008-exercise-chair.html)

kicker 05-01-2009 07:32 AM

Exercise in a chair

I'm in a chair. Anyone have any advice about toning and stretching? I don't drive, nothing is close, would love yoga, etc. but need to do by self. Any book or resource info?

AfterMyNap 05-01-2009 08:03 AM

"Sit & Be Fit" is a PBS show that runs daily in my neck of the woods. The leader woman is a nurse and it's really geared toward the elderly. But, if you can get past the cheesy, mushy, saccharine sweetness and the really bad muzak, you might benefit from her simple 30-minute workout.

There are also a couple online workouts you can follow, just google wheelchair fitness and some streaming video options will show up.

tkrik 05-01-2009 09:01 AM

When I started Copaxone, Shared Solutions sent me a DVD that has exercises for people with MS. There are 3 different parts to it. When they do the routines they show you how to do them in a chair as well.

azoyizes 05-01-2009 09:44 AM

In December, I began taking an MS Yoga class that I dearly love. We do most of the exercises while sitting on a chair, and some on the floor for those of us who can get down there. There are two women in the class who are strapped into power chairs, but they do get at least something from the class.

The method that my teacher uses comes from this book:

Yoga and Multiple Sclerosis: A Journey to Health and Healing by M.D. Loren Martin Fishman, B. Phil, and Eric Small (Paperback - May 28, 2007)

Amazon carries it, and it's around $20.

I feel so incredibly loose and good and happy after each class.:)

Dejibo 05-01-2009 09:58 AM

There are a tons of yoga DVD/VHS tapes. There are also at home tapes for everything from chair exercises, to belly dancing. Try a search at Amazon.

You can also modify routines to be from a sitting position. Be creative.

Pilates, and yoga are wonderful for stretching, and toning, and Tai Chi is a wonderful slow moving martial arts.

SallyC 05-01-2009 10:54 AM

Thanks Kicker and all for the great suggestions..:grouphug:

The only excercise I do standing is...just standing..:D

azoyizes 05-01-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoyizes (Post 504258)
In December, I began taking an MS Yoga class that I dearly love. We do most of the exercises while sitting on a chair, and some on the floor for those of us who can get down there. There are two women in the class who are strapped into power chairs, but they do get at least something from the class.

The method that my teacher uses comes from this book:

Yoga and Multiple Sclerosis: A Journey to Health and Healing by M.D. Loren Martin Fishman, B. Phil, and Eric Small (Paperback - May 28, 2007)

Amazon carries it, and it's around $20.

I feel so incredibly loose and good and happy after each class.:)

Forgot to mention, the book Yoga and MS can be obtained through the MS lending library first to see if it's something you like and could use before purchasing it.

Friend2U 05-02-2009 02:12 AM

Kicker,

:)I didn't read all the replies, but my sister gave me a dvd on doing CHAIR YOGA. I will try to find it tomorrow to give you the name of it. My dh cleaned out a closet (kudos to him:D), but put my exercise videos away in a box. Guess he thought I hadn't been using them...ha...he was right!:p But I will check. It was much easier than the typical yoga, but was very helpful. Thanks for reminding me. I will have to give it another try!

ACTUALLY, I JUST GOOGLED AND FOUND THIS. I'M SURE IT'S THE ONE I HAVE. THERE MAY BE OTHERS OUT THERE THAT ARE GOOD ALSO!

http://www.target.com/Sitting-Fit-An...A578324&page=1

Friend2U 05-02-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 504203)
"Sit & Be Fit" is a PBS show that runs daily in my neck of the woods. The leader woman is a nurse and it's really geared toward the elderly. But, if you can get past the cheesy, mushy, saccharine sweetness and the really bad muzak, you might benefit from her simple 30-minute workout.

There are also a couple online workouts you can follow, just google wheelchair fitness and some streaming video options will show up.

I wanted to find out more info on SIT & BE FIT. It sounds great. I googled and ran across this website! Thanks!:wink:

http://www.sitandbefit.org/faq

kicker 05-02-2009 05:41 PM

Yesterday, I did some stretching, researched some books and videos, moved my limbs, became very aware of my upper body and I felt better. I didn't go crazy, know I have to build up strength but I have beginnings. Was not tired like I feared I might be. I still want lipo-suction on belly and use those pesky fat cells for good-helping my MS. Have you heard about it? There's even a thread!!