NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Tear Soup,,,from the sos forum (about grieving) (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/8702-tear-soup-sos-forum-grieving.html)

bizi 12-12-2006 12:17 AM

Tear Soup,,,from the sos forum (about grieving)

Tear Soup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grandy's Cooking Tips

- Grief is the process you go through as you adjust to the loss of anything or anyone important in your life.

- The loss of a job, a move, divorce, death of someone you love, or a change in health status are just a few of the situations that can cause grief.

- Grief is both physically and emotionally exhausting. It is also irrational and unpredictable and can shake your very foundation.

- The amount of "work" your grief requires will depend on your life experiences, the type of loss, and whatever else you have on your plate at that time.

- A sudden, unexpected loss is usually more traumatic, more disruptive and requires more time to adjust to.

- If your loss occured through violence, expect that all the normal grief reactions will be exaggerated.

- You may lose trust in your own ability to make decisions and/or to trust others.

- Assumptions about fairness, life order, and religious beliefs are often challenged.

- Smells can bring back memories of a loss and a fresh wave of grief.

- Seasons, with their colors and climate, can also take you back to that moment in time when your world stood still.

- You may sense you have no control in your life.

- Being at work may provide a relief from your grief, but as soon as you get in the car and start driving home you may find your grief come flooding back.

- You may find that you are incapable of functioning in the work environment for a short while.

- Because grief is distracting it also means you are more accident-prone.

- The object of grieving is not to get over the loss or recover from the loss but to get through the loss.

- Over the years you will look back and discover that this grief keeps teaching you new things about life. Your understanding of life will just keep going deeper.

Tear Soup by Pat Schwiebert and Chuck DeKlyen

is an excellent book and a good gift to give to grieving friends.

Nikko 12-13-2006 10:33 AM

Thanks for sharing this, it is so true.:Good-Post:

Starting to have some of the blues:Sinking:

This too shall pass. Have a DV appt today, that's probably a good thing.

May 2007 bring everyone good health, happiness and a better year for all.

Hugs, Nikko

befuddled2 12-13-2006 02:54 PM

Thank you Bizi,

I've read this many years ago but forgot about it.

befuddled2

bizi 12-15-2006 01:02 AM

Bump for meBP?
(((((HUGS)))))
bizi

waves 12-15-2006 07:09 AM

i didn't dare open this thread for a long time.

today i plucked up the courage to peek. looks like a good article from the first bits... but i decided to stop reading... it risked becoming too intense for me, so i chose to close the post.

i just want to say that, despite my own sensitivities especially given current state, and heavy grieving, that it seemed very helpful, and wanted to thank you for posting it.

take care
~ waves ~

BJ 12-15-2006 07:38 AM

Thanks Bizi for bumping this up. :icon_cry:

After spending the last 10 days in the hospital and talking to counselors almost around the clock, I've realized that grieving is a lot of work. I have many emotions and feelings that I need to get out. I can't even begin to describe totally how I feel. I just know that I hurt inside and nothing will ever take away this feeling inside except time.

Mari 12-15-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me BP? (Post 49976)
After spending the last 10 days in the hospital and talking to counselors almost around the clock, I've realized that grieving is a lot of work.

Dear Me BP?
I'm glad that you are home from the hospital.
Did you get some med changes?
Be kind to yourself. It's usually a big transition to come from the hospital back into the real world. (not too sure which is more real?!)
Also, sometimes the pdocs lower the meds again after the hospital...take it easy. You need to recover while you go through these changes.
Mari

BJ 12-15-2006 05:17 PM

Thanks Mari and yes my meds are being adjusted. I was up and down and all over the place before I went in. My depakote was decreased but the Seroquel is gradually being increased. But I can only have 3 days at a time because that's what I OD'd with. It's a lot different being home but it's home and I have my cat who loves me to death. :)

bizi 12-15-2006 06:34 PM

Dear BJ,
I am gald that you are home and with your kitty.
They are a comfort to us...and I am sure she missed you very much.
Hang in there sweetie and know that you have a bunch of people rooting for your being well:I-Agree: .
((((HUGS))))
bizi

bizi 11-23-2007 01:21 AM

Bump for our girlie....
((((HUGS))))
bizi