NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Now trying Adderall (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/87105-trying-adderall.html)

Snoopy 05-16-2009 09:03 AM

Now trying Adderall

Oh, for pete's sake!

Stimulants make me sleepy :hissyfit:

My doctor says that's how the A.D.D. brain works...peachy, just peachy :ranting:

I am using Adderall for it's intended purpose...A.D.D. I know stimulants can have the opposite affect when dealing with A.D.D. but this is just flippin' annoying :Sigh:

Well, it now makes sense why I could go to sleep 30min after taking Provigil :icon_rolleyes:

My doctor was telling me about some of the new A.D.D. meds coming out that are not stimulants and my thought was....:yahoo:

Anyway, I didn't see any difference when I was taking Focalin so now we are trying Adderall.

Hoping Adderall helps and I don't sleep my life away :rolleyes:

Stacer 05-16-2009 09:27 AM

I can also nap after taking provigil. I've always joked that I have a touch of ADD. I get "bored" after applying a few strokes of paint and get easily distracted watching a movie. I wonder if there is really something to it!

SallyC 05-16-2009 10:16 AM

Sheesh, I hope this one works, Snoopers..:hug:

FinLady 05-16-2009 10:33 AM

Hoping this one works out. :hug:

DM 05-16-2009 01:53 PM

Good luck on the new med, LA!!!

Hey, wake up; I'm talkin to ya woman!! (has it been 30 minutes already?) *grin*

take care and let us know how you like the new RX.

Snoopy 05-16-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 511067)
Hey, wake up; I'm talkin to ya woman!! (has it been 30 minutes already?) *grin*

Geez! Do you have to be so loud! I WAS sleeping :mad:

Okay, I'm a little grumpy. I don't do well when some yells to wake me up.:o

kicker 05-16-2009 03:42 PM

I took Provigil and it had the opposite effect. My head just dropped down. Since at school many of my students used Ritalin (another stimulant) as stims have opposite effect on hyper kids aid. on hyper kids, I asked my GCP if I was a little hyper."well, yeah, you are,"she said.
Good hyper kinda, complete tasks, etc., it's kept my weight down, when I walked, I walked fast, etc. Back on Amantadine and doing better.

Maddieg3105@aol.com 08-09-2009 10:16 AM

Just started taking adderall myself...

I am not sure about anyone else... but I have already had problems with the med and I have only had it for two days. My frist problem was actually talking my dr into letting me try it... and then my pharmacy shorting me 20 pills. After I came home to take the medication I was okay during the day.... and in the evening... I felt like I was ran over by a mad truck. I am guessing it just takes time for the body to get used to and to get at the right dose that is good for you.... but so far.... I'm not really sure it's worth it. :eek: I really dont know what to do. I have bipolar and also ADHD as well and the two really dont mix worth a crap. I just want to find something that is going to help me get my life together... actually get my GED and stuff.... but it just seems like nothing helps. HELP!!!!:hug: I need some support of some kind!

SallyC 08-09-2009 11:53 AM

((((((((((((Maddie)))))))))))))

Snoopy 08-09-2009 04:18 PM

Hello, Maddieg and welcome to NeuroTalk :)

The downside to Adderall and some of the other ADD meds is the "crash" that can be experienced by some who use them. There are a couple of choices with Adderall - regular Adderall or Adderall XR.

I am using the regular Adderall. They are 5 mg and right now I can take 3 of them a day. Even though they are short acting (3 to 5 hours) I feel more in control with how much I want to take.

The Adderall XR is longer lasting with a steady release throughout the day. Some will notice when it's leaving the body (crash), some do not.

Talk to your doctor. If you are using the XR you might be able to use a small dose of the regular to possibly avoid the crash towards the end of the day. However, taking Adderall later in the day might keep you up.

If you don't like Adderall there are other ADD meds you could try.