NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   lidocaine (Lidoderm) Patch (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/87253-lidocaine-lidoderm-patch.html)

RSD31 05-18-2009 01:51 PM

lidocaine (Lidoderm) Patch

I just started using the LIDODERM pach last night boy did it work I have RSD in Shoulder-Arms-Hands both sides but 5 hours after taking them off i started hurting really bad like on a pain scale with patch 3 know 10 any one else have the same thing happen to them does your body have to get use too them and it will help after you take them ontil you put the new one, sorry if it confuesing i'm just hurting so bad

AintSoBad 05-18-2009 02:33 PM

I'm really sorry you're hurting so bad.:hug:

Your question is a tad confusing, you don't say what else you're using for the pain?
As far as i've known, the Lidoderm patches are usually an adjunct type of therapy.
I have rsd full body, tos, discs cervical and lumbar. (and tbi).
I use the lidocaine patches for my discs, if they cause breakthrough pain, and on my forearms or wrists. (Ulnar nerve, carpel tunnel).
I cut the patch into thirds, and use that on my neck, or low back.
(I've never used an entire patch), and YOU should be sure to Never use more than the recommended dosage!

If you only use say, a patch on each side, you can re-use them (re wet the sticky side with warm/hot water), when the pain comes back.
Just so you don't go over the max daily dosage.
(I'm not a doctor, just a suggestion).

I think we'd like to know more about what other meds you're using.
Are you seeing a Neurologist?

You have rsd, in the tos area, have you been checked for tos, also?
It seems you should.
How were you injured?
How long ago?

I hope, that you can find some more full time relief!

Pete
asb

Sandel 05-18-2009 06:53 PM

I read back over your previous posts..

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSD31 (Post 511839)
I just started using the LIDODERM pach last night boy did it work I have RSD in Shoulder-Arms-Hands both sides but 5 hours after taking them off i started hurting really bad like on a pain scale with patch 3 know 10 any one else have the same thing happen to them does your body have to get use too them and it will help after you take them ontil you put the new one, sorry if it confuesing i'm just hurting so bad

Hi RSD31

If the Lipoderm patches work for you, and as I see looking back over your previous posts you are having RSD spreading symptoms, perhaps you should look into subcutanious lidocaine infusions. lipoderm = lidocaine I believe?

Sory I realy don't know much about the patches, but I have been getting lidocaine infusions for over a year now and they help alot, I get one every month, they usualy only do these if more than one limb is effected. lidocaine infusions help even if you have had RSD a long time and I see you have had
RSD for three decades, wow I can't imagine..

I am suprised it hasn't spread sooner actualy, makes one wonder about the spreading mechanism.. what sets it off etc. Sory I babble, one of my meds no doubt.
be well,
Sandra

To Aintsobad (hello)
If you click on a name you can look up their prior posts for more information as well.
:)

daniella 05-19-2009 05:53 AM

Hi. For me the lidocaine patch increases my pain but it is from not being able to tolerate them on the rsd areas. I had the lidocaine infusion which also increased my pain but I am an off case if anything usually it does nothing I think. I was told though they are different in there effects. On the PN forum there is a post about these and Mrs D says how important it is to have them placed in a proper way to work. It is not on the actual area but what leads to it. I would check that out. How a non professional would know this I have no idea. Need to go to school to learn how to take meds since docs don't explain.Feel better

AintSoBad 05-19-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandel (Post 511957)
Hi RSD31

<SNIP>

be well,
Sandra

To Aintsobad (hello)
If you click on a name you can look up their prior posts for more information as well.
:)

Thanks for that info Sandra!
Nice to meetcha!

pete
asb