NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Trigeminal Neuralgia (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/)
-   -   Balloon Percutaneous Rhizotomy, Yes or NO (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/87812-balloon-percutaneous-rhizotomy-yes.html)

cwanal1 05-25-2009 04:50 PM

Balloon Percutaneous Rhizotomy, Yes or NO

I have suffered from TN on the left side for about 4 years after adental procedure. About 3 years ago I had the Gamma Knife surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Center. The Gamma Knife was no help either positive or negative. Since then I have been on neurotin, baklophen and now on Lyrica. I used to have a flareup about 1 week every 3-4 months with the TN under control the rest of the time. I am now into the 4th week without break of a flareup and am considering having a Balloon Percutaneous Rhizotomy and would like to hear from others that have had this procedure. What were the after effects and did it work? Would you do it again? Please respond.

JudyM 06-08-2009 02:48 PM

I underwent balloon compression surgery in March 2008. I believe this is what you are referring to.... I had trigeminal neuralgia for many years and was on carbamazapene. The meds were making me dopey and drowsy and it made it difficult to be at work.

I opted for balloon compression and haven't look back yet. It is not too invasive and recuperation is only a matter of days. There is a 40% chance that the pain will return, but - so far, so good. If the pain does return, I will go in and get the operation done again. It was day surgery and I had to take it easy for 5 days at home.

I'm so glad I went through with it. Hope this helps!

Judy

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwanal1 (Post 514883)
I have suffered from TN on the left side for about 4 years after adental procedure. About 3 years ago I had the Gamma Knife surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Center. The Gamma Knife was no help either positive or negative. Since then I have been on neurotin, baklophen and now on Lyrica. I used to have a flareup about 1 week every 3-4 months with the TN under control the rest of the time. I am now into the 4th week without break of a flareup and am considering having a Balloon Percutaneous Rhizotomy and would like to hear from others that have had this procedure. What were the after effects and did it work? Would you do it again? Please respond.

jjlsongbird 10-25-2009 01:23 PM

It's not a difficult procedure to go through. I had one in Jan 08 and although didn't help me much, it obviously does help people. It's worth a try.

Hope it works well for you.

Jean

Buffy1 11-02-2009 07:45 AM

for trigeminal neuropathy?

Does this type of nerve destruction surgery help in trigeminal neurpathy? I have been told that it doesn't and can make matters worse. I take 1200 mg of Neurontin per day and still have terrible pain between lip and nose. Thanks for any and all input

Buffy
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjlsongbird (Post 582336)
It's not a difficult procedure to go through. I had one in Jan 08 and although didn't help me much, it obviously does help people. It's worth a try.

Hope it works well for you.

Jean