NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   Topamax Use for Nerve Pain is Causing Eye Problems (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/8800-topamax-nerve-pain-causing-eye.html)

GJZH 12-13-2006 12:27 AM

Topamax Use for Nerve Pain is Causing Eye Problems

I know many of us use Topamax for nerve pain...I just want to let everyone know that is taking this drug that you really need to get a good exam with an opthamalogist. I had my eyes examined last year...I thought the doctor was good, but knew the exam was lacking. I really just put off seeing another doc and should not have done that.

When I tested positive for RA, my doc put me on PLaquenil and told me I must see an eye doc to make certain my eyes are healthy. Plaquenil can ruin your eyesight as well and the damage is irreversible.

I did not go right away, but have only been on the Plaquenil for about two months. I went yesterday to find that there are serious problems with both eyes, the left being worse than the right. I was given the Amsler Grid Test and the Humphrey's 10-2 fields test. I seemed to have lost a lot of my peripheral vision in the left eye and did not realize it until yesterday. The eye doc said both eyes have lost too much peripheral vision (I think that is what I have lost) for someone my age...so she is thinking it is the Plaquenil....I am sending information on Topamax as well...so she will determine if the Topamax might have had an adverse effect on my eyesight as well....

It is very important to get your eyes checked...and a suggestion might be to go to a good teaching hospital where they have these machines....

fiberowendy2000 12-13-2006 12:51 AM

UGH! I didn't know about the topamax!:eek: I knew about the plaquenil, I was one it once upon a time, but geez tons of people are on topamax around here.
I hope people catch this thread and take notice of their eye health!
Thanks for the heads up!

fiberowendy2000 12-13-2006 12:56 AM

Hi...I was just over at the BiPolar board and ran across this thread....I hope it helps!
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=8722

~KELLWANTSANSWERS~ 12-13-2006 07:29 PM

Thanx for posting this.I just had my eyes examined about 9 months ago.
Another problem with the topamax is that it wrecks havoc on your bones..
I have early onset osteoporosis!
I had no idea when i started taking it.
It also increases your chances of kidney stones...If i take the calcium i am afraid it will add to my chances of getting kidney stones...
Its a real catch 22 with this med.
Are you gonna go off the med{s} now?
Possibly take different one{s}?Or are you like myself,basically between a rock and a hard place!

GJZH 12-18-2006 06:19 PM

I have decided to stop this medication and go on Neurontin....My pcp and pain doc were not crazy about me using the Topamax...I think they feel there are just too many side effects...like this with the eyes...and it can cause many other bad side effects...It is not worth the risk of losing my eyesight...

agnuscrucis 12-20-2006 02:02 PM

compromise

hi there,

one of the side effects of Topamax is glaucoma. Each drugs have its own side effects, every drug is a compromise. i take them because the benefits i get from them are much grater than the side effects i have to endure. You only have to be cautious for the first week you're taking Topamax--- or any drug. My personal strategy: I never started a new drug when I'm out of town, or traveling or having big exams - anything that could prevent me to reach the ER or the hospital.
good luck to you! :)

JD 12-23-2006 07:46 PM

Oh! I had a terrible time with topamax :( the opthalmologist put me back on the regular check ups again, even though I've been off it now quite some time. TC.