NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Optic neuritis advice (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/88435-optic-neuritis-advice.html)

Jodylee 06-02-2009 07:15 AM

Optic neuritis advice

Silly me :). I have never had ON so I don't know what I should do.

I started having nagging to sharp pain behind my right eye about 5 days ago. I kept thinking it was a headache that just won't go away even though i'm not prone to having lingering headaches. My vision is only slightly blurred in that eye. I put that off to be from the uveitis I chronically get.

Yesterday, I was talking to my friend with ms and she says "duh, Jo, you should call the neuro today!". ON never even crossed my mind!

I have an appt with a neuro optho on the 15th. I thought with ON you always had profound vision loss. Has anyone had ON that was similar to what I've described?

AfterMyNap 06-02-2009 09:01 AM

Call the neuro now! ON is nothing to fool with!

yes, it sounds to me like ON also, definitely have it looked at ASAP, J.!

Riverwild 06-02-2009 09:04 AM

Joelle,

Optic neuritis was my first symptom and it was after one incident of ON that I was diagnosed. I didn't have any pain. I knew something was wrong because it never happened before. It started as a nagging feeling that my pupil wasn't dilating correctly and so I went to my opthalmologist immediately.

YOU HAVE PAIN IN YOUR HEAD! The # 1 warning sign for stroke is a headache that doesn't go away. Regardless of what you think it MIGHT be, you need to go to the doctor today and rule out what else it COULD be. You are not a doctor and you need to see one now.

A slow bleed in your brain can cause pain. It doesn't have to be a sudden catastrophic blowout.

Please, please don't wait to get this checked out. I have a friend who did that and she had an aneurysm that was a slow leak until it blew and she ended up blind and with massive brain damage. She didn't die but she will never be the person she was before. What happened to her could have been prevented if she had gone to the doctor instead of waiting.

I hope it's just MS messing with you, but get checked out please. Don't put yourself at risk. I don't want to be an alarmist but it's not always MS as we so often remind each other!

Let us know how it goes! :hug:

Jodylee 06-02-2009 09:19 AM

Holy carp, RW!! All my other usual ms sx are flaring up like crazy too.

I called the neuro already and I'm waiting for a call back to see if he could get the optho to see me sooner. I don't have a pcp right now. I am gonna call the neuro again and get my btch voice ready.

Bearygood 06-02-2009 05:15 PM

Joelle, at first you may not even know what it is that you're NOT seeing. That's what happened to me and it was only later that things started getting blurry and the color loss began. Please get to a neuro-ophthalmologist as soon as you can -- an ophthalmologist if you must, but a neuro-op is really better.

Good luck!

Dejibo 06-03-2009 07:54 AM

Sorry you ended up in the hospital, but at least you got good drugs. Keep us informed. :hug: