NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Alternative treatments for GERD? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/88889-alternative-treatments-gerd.html)

judymoody 06-04-2009 09:03 PM

Alternative treatments for GERD?

i am in the middle of a ferocious reflux battle (anxiety related) right now (which is actually nothing compared to what many of you are fighting) but was wondering if anyone had any successes with something other than prescribed acid blockers, etc.. Am currently taking fish oil, and dietary changes which usually work, but not right now. Should I stop all supplements and rest my GI tract?
Also, questions about herbal treatments- licorice, slippery elm, chamomile, and valerian for sleep. Xanax always works, calms the anxiety and the rest of me, but I don't want to go there again, either. Any suggestions you might have will be deeply appreciated . . . Julie

mrsD 06-05-2009 07:03 AM

See if you have GAS... Chronic gas, either burping or the tooting, increases pressure in the GI tract and pushes stomach contents UP creating reflux.

Beano can help with gaseous veggies, and lactase enzyme for dairy intolerance.

Some people with low acid naturally (achlorhydria)...which can occur in up to a third of older patients, do well when using Betaine HCL supplements. This increases acid, and helps digest protein. Undigested protein ferments in the bowel by the bacteria there and creates alot of GAS.

Gall bladder issues, create gas also. Gluten intolerance.
And for me, fructose was a culprit. A huge problem for me.
If you cannot eat alot of fruit or drink apple juice that would he a big hint for this problem, which often goes unrecognized by doctors and patients alike.

Coffee and chocolate also can make reflux worse. And reflux in a diabetic may signal a neuropathy of the stomach called
gastroparesis.

DGL licorice is very helpful for some stomach problems. It can actually heal ulcers in some people. Make sure you use the DGL type, which does not affect the adrenal glands or blood pressure negatively.

I think diet is a big cause of reflux. I had it terribly when I was in my 40's. I have a huge serious hiatal hernia from my GI congenital defect..malrotation. I only needed meds for 3 mons and started the EFAs back then, and it all healed up.
You might add Flax oil to your fish oil... I think flax oil helps alot too.

judymoody 06-05-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 519526)
See if you have GAS... Chronic gas, either burping or the tooting, increases pressure in the GI tract and pushes stomach contents UP creating reflux.

Beano can help with gaseous veggies, and lactase enzyme for dairy intolerance.

Some people with low acid naturally (achlorhydria)...which can occur in up to a third of older patients, do well when using Betaine HCL supplements. This increases acid, and helps digest protein. Undigested protein ferments in the bowel by the bacteria there and creates alot of GAS.

Gall bladder issues, create gas also. Gluten intolerance.
And for me, fructose was a culprit. A huge problem for me.
If you cannot eat alot of fruit or drink apple juice that would he a big hint for this problem, which often goes unrecognized by doctors and patients alike.

Coffee and chocolate also can make reflux worse. And reflux in a diabetic may signal a neuropathy of the stomach called
gastroparesis.

DGL licorice is very helpful for some stomach problems. It can actually heal ulcers in some people. Make sure you use the DGL type, which does not affect the adrenal glands or blood pressure negatively.

I think diet is a big cause of reflux. I had it terribly when I was in my 40's. I have a huge serious hiatal hernia from my GI congenital defect..malrotation. I only needed meds for 3 mons and started the EFAs back then, and it all healed up.
You might add Flax oil to your fish oil... I think flax oil helps alot too.

Thank you Mrs. D! My gall bladder was removed in 2004, wish I hadn't been so quick to agree to that- but . . . I do use flax as well. My nails are amazing . . . I digress- anyway, I'm going to try the DGL licorice, I have some teas that contain licorice, and I believe they help, so perhaps the DGL will turn the tide on this. Once again, thank you, you are an amazing resource and repository of information! : )