NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   wheelchair opinions (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/89279-wheelchair-opinions.html)

jprinz99 06-08-2009 08:53 AM

wheelchair opinions

Seeking opinions on the various ultra light-weight wheelchairs - both pro and con.

I am thinking a folding one as oppossed to rigid for trunk space (we still need room for the suitcases). I have a fitting/eval Tuesday with an ATP certified person at my DME place, but want users real-life ratings please. Thanks!:wink:

ali12 06-08-2009 09:05 AM

Hi Jane,

I have a lightweight wheelchair that I sometimes use when outdoors and am in too much pain to walk or my balance is unsteady and it has really helped. I HATED the idea of using a wheelchair at first, especially because I am only 14 but I honestly don't know what i'd do without my wheelchair now and figure that without it, I probably wouldn't get out at all sometimes!!

My wheelchair folds up and is really handy for my mum as she can easily fold it when she is on her own without too much trouble. It fits into the car really nicely also and leaves lots of room for suitcases and shopping etc. It also has the big wheels so I can push it on my own if I want to.

My Social Worker gave me an electric wheelchair but we couldn't use it at all as it weighed over 50lb and no one could physically lift it hardly. It was supposed to help me get in and out of the house on my own but I couldn't use it that much so we had to give it back to them.

Here's a picture of the wheelchair that I have:
http://www.fredwalton.co.uk/shop/ite...nda%20blue.jpg

Good Luck with your appointment tomorrow - I hope all goes well and that you find a wheelchair to suit your needs!!:hug:

Dejibo 06-08-2009 09:22 AM

I had a Quickie wheel chair. They make many many styles, shapes, and widths. It was lightweight, and easy to manuever.

I am sorry that you even need to speak the words, let alone shop for one.

:hug:

AfterMyNap 06-08-2009 10:06 AM

I keep my manual chair for the unexpected and it has come in handy many times.

Mine is a Quickie Breezy :vomit: (the names are so lame! pun intended ;)), it's 17lbs. and I can still hurl it into the car when needed. When I could ambulate it under my own power, it was easy to use because it has flip-up armrests that get out of my way for wheeling. I always wore bike gloves as they're great for braking.

The only thing about the light-weights is how delicate the alignment can be. It comes with the tools and I store them inside the zipped cover of my accessory cushion. Which brings me to item #2:

If you expect to be seated for extended periods in the chair, tell them at the fitting so they can help you choose a good cushion to add to it. That will make a serious difference in your comfort level, also the height adjustment between foot paddles and seat. The downside, more junk to manage!

SallyC 06-08-2009 12:44 PM

I don't like them. I find them uncomfortable and unsteady....but then I am an older person and think those ultra lites are built for the young active person.

I had an Invacare ultra lite and had to send it back....I couldn't get in or out of it without help. You need great upper body strength or strong legs that still hold you to transfer.

JMO. Other's stories will be different.

The best of luck of you in your choice..:hug:

Dejibo 06-08-2009 03:53 PM

my gel seat cushion was the best investment I ever made. made sure you look at one of those.

jprinz99 06-09-2009 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the input. I guess I should have been a tad more informative about my current chair (what, you can't all magically see in my living room from out there in cyber space???)

I currently use a Invacare 900SL, elevataing/removable leg rests, gel cushion and flip up desk arms. Originally it worked for my needs but now I have grown to hate it as it is too heavy for me now, plus it is constantly going out of alignment like a bad shopping cart wheel. The cushion is a good one, but we have to move up to a better one as pressure sores and rash are an issue (it gets hot and sweaty fairly quickly).

I can no longer push myself very far as my arms are getting weaker and shoulders are taking a beating due to wrong size chair. I have a 16" Hemi and I prob am closer to 18" reg height (I am 5'8") MHO: would offer that the elevating leg rests add a LOT of weight and are fairly useless to me.

So I have to get a chair that fits me better and is even lighter (ultra light if we can get ins to go for it -tho they said they would, you never know once they see the bill, eh). Original ins lady actually said a standard hospital style chair would work - as I had a husband who could push me around!!! :eek:

I do know I have to "move up" so to speak to a more customized options chair, it is just such a ding to my ego of "I'm not that bad". Heck, at least I ought to choose a cute color?!?! My eval is at 1 today. Wish I could afford a Ti titanium model....

kicker 06-09-2009 10:21 AM

I have a Manual Invacare EX2. Not ultra light, but folds and DH or DD can put in trunk. I use when out, DH pushes as left arm does not work to self-propel. He takes me up curbs and 2-3 steps - backwards, using big wheel . With Manual DH takes me up a few steps into people's houses. I weigh under 110, he is strong but I prefer my electric travel (breaks down into pieces) Go-chair (Pride) as it keeps me in control

At home I have a heavy, smooth riding electric Invacare TDX SP - it tilts, etc. But now I know I wish it elevated) Very quiet, DH calls it my stealth chair. I recommend a well-made chair, you never know where you might end up with MS None of mine has needed alighnment ever in years.

I love my big heavy electric TDX used only at home. Luckily my house big, but I still hit door jambs and things. Had elevated swing away foot rests, hated them. Made them put on single, flip up, as close to chair as possible footrest. Chair very heavy, nobody could lift it, home use only.

jprinz99 06-10-2009 06:10 AM

Eval went well. The lady Amy was very nice and unflappable - especially when it comes to all those ADL personal questions. Plus she totally gets the is it MS or CNS Lupus thing as she has a relatve with lupus and another with MS (finally, someone who really gets it!), plus she is certified by RESNA. This is what she is writing up

Quickie 2 in my sizes. Options are swing in/out legs w/flip up footplates, the removal post style arms, nobby pneumatic airless tires with mag wheels, quick release hub, tension adj back, NaturalFit hand rims for my thumb and hand. She insists on anti-tips, but I will promptly remove them (she laughed and said a lot of folks do) I chose Razzleberry paint:eek:
http://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/p...ie-2-2411.html

I am getting a Jay J2 gel cushion. I can go for a Roho later if it doesn't work, but she warned it hard to get ins to let you "downgrade" to a gel from an air cushion. This is important as the air may be too unstable for me but the gels get hot. 50/50 so I went with a better gel than what I have and can always move up if I have to later.

I am thinking I might want the Quickie 2Lite but am afraid if I ask it might be greedy. I also really want the light up casters...

What do you think??? This feels like picking out a new car:rolleyes:

Opinions please (and be honest, as I know you will). Thanks for all the input so far as it helped.:grouphug:

kicker 06-10-2009 08:01 AM

My twins (17) moaned "MMMOOOMMM! You coulda gotten a used car for me instead of that wheelchair". It was like buying a car and like any new buyer I know now, wish..... Next time I'll do better.