NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Learn from my mistake (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/89526-learn-mistake.html)

knittenkitten 06-11-2009 07:39 AM

Learn from my mistake

I had an MRI done of my brain and cervical and thoracic spine with and without contrast yesterday. Trying to be time efficient I scheduled them all at one time. What a mistake!

I had to lay on that hard table without moving for 2 hours. You know everything itched at one time or another during the test. By the time I was done I was so cramped that I had to sit on the side of the table for 5 minutes before I could move.

In the future I will schedule the ones without the contrast, take a break while they to another person and then go have the contrast done. Learn from my experience. Give yourself a break if you are ever in this situation.

dmplaura 06-11-2009 07:52 AM

Sound advice. I know from laying for 1 hour the other day, my lower back was sore as heck when I got out of there. I can't imagine 2.

SandyC 06-11-2009 09:33 AM

I am actually surprised they allowed that. Jim's MRI appointments are always broke into two if he's having more than a hour of testing.

Desinie 06-11-2009 09:42 AM

I can sympathize with you,kitten. In November I had an MRI of my c-spine, thoracic spine and lumbar spine and was in there for 3 hours. I hurt for a few days after.

FinLady 06-11-2009 09:57 AM

the spine ones take the longest. My neuro did a full spine once, but didn't do contrast.

I'm glad they didn't. Could still see the leisons, but it took forever even without the dye. :(

Snoopy 06-11-2009 11:58 AM

Well, I had full knowledge that my last MRI would be anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

I was given numerous chances to get up and take a break but I chose to stay in the MRI machine for the entire time.

Was I stiff and sore? Yes. Did I know I would be stiff and sore when I made that choice? Yes. Would I do it all over again the exact same way? Yes.

I made the choice to keep going without a break because I simply didn't want to make my MRI stay any longer than I needed too. A 2 1/2 hour MRI would have been even longer had I taken a break.

But, that's just me :rolleyes:

PolarExpress 06-12-2009 11:20 PM

The only marathon MRI I have had was the first one that gave me the MS dx..It was 3 hours, and yes, a potty break was taken..Since then, I think the longest was maybe 1-1/2 hrs..Piece of cake :tongue:..

NurseNancy 06-13-2009 07:08 PM

i did the same thing but i knew it would be long; brain, c-spine and lumbar.
i don't think they will do only non-contrast and another time contrast. they have to do both at the same visit to compare the shots.

however, you can break up the types. say brain & c-spine w&w/o and do the thoracic another time. but, you'll need 2 shots of contrast. at least that's what i think. check with your dr.

braingonebad 06-14-2009 08:16 PM

I'm pretty sure you're right. I had to stay right still after the T spine w/o while they gave me the shot for contrast. That one - T and lumbar - w& w/o was my longest at about 2 hours. Had it been any longer I'd have been asleep. Only reason I didn't fall asleep is they keep asking

*You okay in there?*

Yeah I'm okay, shush up and let me nap already. Sheesh!

:o

I must be TOO still and scare em.

yes, I can sleep through the noise. 2 kids? bunch of dogs, birds? I can sleep through anything.