NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Sensory Neuropathy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/89637-sensory-neuropathy.html)

lynxgal 06-12-2009 09:53 PM

Sensory Neuropathy?

I've had my finger tips go numb before and I have had slight burning sensation to the finger tips and my toes.

The last couple of days the burning sensation on 2 finger tips has gotten worse and now they are bright red and hot to the touch from the first joint in the finger to the finger tip. I had someone touch my hand to see if they noticed the temperature change. They could. The 2 fingers that were bright red and burning were very hot to the touch in the area that was bright red. Funny thing was the rest of them were ice cold.

Anybody experience anything like this?

Raglet 06-13-2009 06:50 AM

hi there

I went through a period of time experiencing this - some of my fingers would be boiling hot, the rest would be freezing cold and usually purple. I used to use my hot fingers to try and warm up my cold fingers. At the same time I met all the requirements for RSD (complex pain syndrome) including an increased rate of bone turn over in my bone scan, but who knows. It lasted about six months, and was during the period of time when I was having very extreme pain (I have always said that on a scale of 1 - 10 the pain was a 22).

But, eventually it just stopped. I have sensory motor axonal neuropathy. These days my motor symptoms predominate, and my sensory symptoms are numbness. My major problems are loosing motor function.

hth
raglet

nide44 06-13-2009 09:47 AM

I have a mixed Dx of CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) & PN.
Between the 2, almost any sx can occur.
Have you had testing for CTS?

lynxgal 06-13-2009 11:02 AM

Hi Bob,

My NCV both sensory and motor nerves show a polyneuropathy going on. Originally they thought CMT but now they are not sure because both my daughter (11 - test results worse then mine:eek:) do not have muscle atropy or clubbing of the toes/feet. I suspect but am not sure about this, the velocity ranges between her and I are so different, that that may be another reason why they don't think it is CMT.

My daughter has drop foot starting in both feet. I have mild drop foot (it has gotten much better since last summer. Almost walking normally again!:) ) only on the right side.

As far as CTS...not sure if they would be able to tell for sure based on my NCV LOL.

Here is the link to my orginial NCV results http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread49714.html
My second NCV was done in April of this year. Results were worse in some areas....originally my ankle reflex was perfect. In April it was absent. On the second test my H-reflex was "Markedly Prolonged".

Kitt 06-13-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynxgal (Post 522890)
Hi Bob,

My NCV both sensory and motor nerves show a polyneuropathy going on. Originally they thought CMT but now they are not sure because both my daughter (11 - test results worse then mine:eek:) do not have muscle atropy or clubbing of the toes/feet. I suspect but am not sure about this, the velocity ranges between her and I are so different, that that may be another reason why they don't think it is CMT.

My daughter has drop foot starting in both feet. I have mild drop foot (it has gotten much better since last summer. Almost walking normally again!:) ) only on the right side.

As far as CTS...not sure if they would be able to tell for sure based on my NCV LOL.

Here is the link to my orginial NCV results http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread49714.html
My second NCV was done in April of this year. Results were worse in some areas....originally my ankle reflex was perfect. In April it was absent. On the second test my H-reflex was "Markedly Prolonged".

Hi lynxgal.

Even if you and your daughter both have CMT, the symptoms could vary greatly. I'm sure you know this.

However, keep us posted on your test results. Take care.

diagnonsense 06-14-2009 09:34 PM

When I was first diagnosed I was told primary sensory motor mixed demylenating with a secondary axonal loss.

Now, they focus more on the demylenating part, and the lack of feeling and motor loss.

I've lost feeling from my calves down at one point and developed foot drop.

My sxs are intermittent, and at times I don't notice at all, and at times are terribly bad to the point I think I may hurt myself. (from falling)

I just told my mother to get an EMG, and she I think is going to get prior auth to get it done.

She has pain in her wrists and from her back down through her legs to her calves.
Hers is more nerve entrapment in her spine though.

Probably a bit more complicated if she has a daughter with neuropathy.

I don't have spinal problems.

Good luck figuring it out.. "ideopathic" is something no one wants to hear.

nide44 06-15-2009 09:14 AM

The details of your testing is Greek to me.
Maybe if Glenntag sees it (you could PM him), he'd be able to decipher it,
The interpretation of 'length dependent sensory motor polyneuropathy'
is exactly the same as mine.... with the addition of 'axonal' in my Dx.
But mine also is flagged with an interpretation of possible CTS,
so I got a referral from my neuro & went to see an orthopedics surgeon-
and he confirmed the CTS Dx. Both hands/wrists - right more severe
than the left (I'm a 'lefty') .
I've been having cortisone shots every 9-12 months
for the past 3 yrs, but I think its gonna be slice & dice
on the right wrist, pretty soon.

Kitt 06-15-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diagnonsense (Post 523363)
When I was first diagnosed I was told primary sensory motor mixed demylenating with a secondary axonal loss.

Now, they focus more on the demylenating part, and the lack of feeling and motor loss.

I've lost feeling from my calves down at one point and developed foot drop.

My sxs are intermittent, and at times I don't notice at all, and at times are terribly bad to the point I think I may hurt myself. (from falling)

I just told my mother to get an EMG, and she I think is going to get prior auth to get it done.

She has pain in her wrists and from her back down through her legs to her calves.
Hers is more nerve entrapment in her spine though.

Probably a bit more complicated if she has a daughter with neuropathy.

I don't have spinal problems.

Good luck figuring it out.. "ideopathic" is something no one wants to hear.

How did you come out with the spinal tap? Or don't they have the results yet? Thanks.

diagnonsense 06-15-2009 10:45 AM

Hey Kitt thanks for asking,
I am not even scheduled for it yet.

They want to get the EMG first (my 4th).. and they couldn't get me in for that until next month.

So I've got some waiting to do until the spinal tap.

I'll have it done next month.. as they said I could get in within 3-5 days.
However, they wanted the EMG first.

Hurrah for repeat procedures??? :mad: