NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arnold Chiari Malformation & Syringomyelia (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/)
-   -   Meds not really working (https://www.neurotalk.org/arnold-chiari-malformation-and-syringomyelia/89853-meds.html)

ryguy 06-15-2009 08:06 PM

Meds not really working

Curious to know what some of you others are taking for syringo pain? Ive been taking vicodin but it isnt seeming to work anymore. Im taking as many as 12 5/500 pills a day. Ive also recently ordered Omiglatex. Any success stories out there. Just found out that the syrinx is from c2-3 all the way down to t8-9. Should i even be working (construction). Also, has anyone experienced an enlarged spleen due to this? Normal is <12cm, mine is 14.3cm. Still waiting to talk to a neurologist, very anxious.

semilesh 07-09-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryguy (Post 523816)
Curious to know what some of you others are taking for syringo pain? Ive been taking vicodin but it isnt seeming to work anymore. Im taking as many as 12 5/500 pills a day. Ive also recently ordered Omiglatex. Any success stories out there. Just found out that the syrinx is from c2-3 all the way down to t8-9. Should i even be working (construction). Also, has anyone experienced an enlarged spleen due to this? Normal is <12cm, mine is 14.3cm. Still waiting to talk to a neurologist, very anxious.

I am taking Ultram for the syringo pain. I was taking 12 a day but I've gotten myself down to 6 and mixing that with naproxen or excedrin seems to do a pretty good job. You should also look into getting a TENS unit. Its does the same thing that pain meds do but instead of chemically blocking the pain, it does it electrically. I hope this helps!!

razzle51 07-11-2009 02:20 PM

I take Trammadol and Keppra

semilesh 07-13-2009 07:09 PM

two for two

Quote:

Originally Posted by razzle51 (Post 536069)
I take Trammadol and Keppra

Looks like tramadol (ultram) works pretty well for pain! Two for two so far! hahah. Hope this helps!

JNINE 03-29-2010 11:58 AM

Syringo pain

I really hate to recommend this because it is so addictive, but if when vicodin wasn't enough for my husband's syringomyelia pain, his doc prescribed methadone and it has worked the best. Long lasting and no stomach problems like with vicodin. And no you should not be working construction because any time you strain to lift something, you can enlarge or aggravate the syrinx.

hdesklady 06-12-2010 11:33 PM

Tramadol worked for me too, for about a year. Now I use Oxicodone and Oxicontin. I am never without pain though. A tens unit did not help me at all. I even did a spinal cord stimulator trial, which did not work either. :( Everyone is different, so you'll have to find the right balance for you. I agree with JNINE...your construction work cannot be good for you and will likely cause your syrinx to grow!