NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   keeping my head above water (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/90070-keeping-head-water.html)

kicker 06-17-2009 03:31 PM

keeping my head above water

I'm in a chair, my left leg and hand are useless but I have a pool. In the pool this weekend I "walked" and put weight on my bad leg and feel better now still, I get cooled, exercised, do a little therapy. It's right off my deck too!!! I'm ordering a Wet Vest - will hold me upright in deep water, head out of water,allow independence in pool. Been using a tube or a boat life-vest - both not right. Wet Vest fairly expensive (looked around on-line, one place wants $22.00 for shipping, found one who ships free.) but pool was expensive, love using it, this will allow me to fully.

Aarcyn 06-17-2009 04:25 PM

my single biggest problem is that DH is never home to "watch" me. I am still in the beginnings of pool aids. I got a couple things.

The pool temperature went down due to "cooler" weather.

Thanks for the wet vest idea. I know who to ask when I am ready!

marion06095 06-17-2009 05:11 PM

Good for you, Kicker. We installed a SwimEx swim spa in our garage two years ago, and I adore it! No matter how bad I am feeling, slipping into that wonderful weightlessness is heaven. I know for sure that it helps me a lot.

PolarExpress 06-17-2009 05:47 PM

Ah, kicker!! That's great news ~ hope you get a lot of use out of that pool this summer!

Judy2 06-17-2009 06:47 PM

Way to go, Kicker!! Any improvement in independence is a blessing! :)

NurseNancy 06-17-2009 07:48 PM

that's great kicker.
i hope the new device is what you need.
keep up the good work.
i've heard that pool exercise is great because it's low impact.

braingonebad 06-18-2009 07:09 AM

Cool beans, Kicker! Glad you're trying the vest. Try whatever might help you make the most of that pool, is my advice. You only get so much summer.

;)

Arcyn - we bought a heater on ebay. It's not as expensive as you think to heat it. I only turn it on for a couple hours before I get in, and it's worth it to get a few extra days of swimming.

Dh installed it so that saved $$$ too.

I love my pool too. When nothing else will unkink everything that's tied in knots, I can go out and get all relaxed. It's only as much exersize as I make it, as much as I'm up to that day. I like to use a pool noodle or two as a head rest and float like that - good for the stiff neck. Then just kick around. My arms don't work much that way.

If I'm really feeling lazy I just stand in front of a jet and listen to the birds.

:D

soxmom 06-18-2009 08:05 AM

I love my pool too.:) Ive tried the water walking as suggested by my doc,
but it is too painful for my feel. Its like walking in sand for me.:(

But I love to straddle a noodle and bob(verb) in the deep end using my
arms....this feels great and is good exercise without really using the legs.:)

Its been so bleepin cold:(:confused:I cant wait for the temp to go up just a little so
I can jump in.:)

enjoy yourself Kick!:hug:

kicker 06-18-2009 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=soxmom;524913]I love my pool too.:) Ive tried the water walking as suggested by my doc,
but it is too painful for my feel. Its like walking in sand for me.:(

But I love to straddle a noodle and bob(verb) in the deep end using my
arms....this feels great and is good exercise without really using the legs.:)

Its been so bleepin cold:(:confused:I cant wait for the temp to go up just a little so
I can jump in.:)

It hurts but hurts more on floor- so
seldom try. No pain, no gain I hear.
I've seen Bob (Noun), I'd never straddle him!!! (LMAO)

Aarcyn 78!!!! Jeez, I Wait for that here!!!

BGB, Summer is just so long. Winter is coming.

soxmom 06-18-2009 09:01 AM

Bob is my dh.:D I was just making sure everyone understood what I meant(verb);)lol