NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Another amazing discovery? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/90621-amazing-discovery.html)

reverett123 06-23-2009 07:01 AM

Another amazing discovery?

Now. I don't know about you guys, but my first hour or so in the morning is spent waiting for the pills to kick in. I'm just about worthless and any wait of less than an hour is considered a good start. I'm stiff and miserable, etc. and just sit at the computer and wait. Don't even feel like typing.

However, the last two mornings I did it a little different. I have a long strap of cloth for stretching exercises that I haven't used much. It is about eight feet long and three inches wide. When I do use it, it is part of what I shamelessly call my "exercise routine." :D

Yesterday, while waiting for bootup of both computer and brain, I threw the strap around my feet on the ottoman in front of me and, pulling on the strap, bent forward stretching everything from my feet to my shoulders. Held it for maybe five minutes.

I was fully on within ten minutes! I repeated it this morning with the same result and my interest has been piqued. I have always thought of stretching as a common sense way of guarding against injury, increasing range of motion, etc.

But this is metabolic. I know that stretching long muscles helps glucose uptake and I think I read somewhere that there are special receptors of some sort that are at the places where muscle meets bone and that they are triggered by stretching them.

Anyone know more than that? I also intend to find out what happens if I skip the meds and start with the stretch tomorrow.

paula_w 06-23-2009 11:32 AM

i am kicking on as i type. I usually kick in in approx half an hour, but i can't sit anywhere due to dystonia, which locks my upper body and there 's toe curling. But i have always done leg lifts and other stretching on the floor. I know i'm almost there when my breathing deepens. If it's taking an hour, have you tried orange juice to get something moving within? sitting at computer weakens my already very weak legs.

i know what u mean by bending forward. rigidity makes my body arch back and stretching forward provides relief...i hang over the edge of my bed to release arms and let things just fall a different direction. if you have dystonia tho, it's a fine line because using muscles before they are ready brings on dystonia.

paula

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverett123 (Post 527250)
Now. I don't know about you guys, but my first hour or so in the morning is spent waiting for the pills to kick in. I'm just about worthless and any wait of less than an hour is considered a good start. I'm stiff and miserable, etc. and just sit at the computer and wait. Don't even feel like typing.

However, the last two mornings I did it a little different. I have a long strap of cloth for stretching exercises that I haven't used much. It is about eight feet long and three inches wide. When I do use it, it is part of what I shamelessly call my "exercise routine." :D

Yesterday, while waiting for bootup of both computer and brain, I threw the strap around my feet on the ottoman in front of me and, pulling on the strap, bent forward stretching everything from my feet to my shoulders. Held it for maybe five minutes.

I was fully on within ten minutes! I repeated it this morning with the same result and my interest has been piqued. I have always thought of stretching as a common sense way of guarding against injury, increasing range of motion, etc.

But this is metabolic. I know that stretching long muscles helps glucose uptake and I think I read somewhere that there are special receptors of some sort that are at the places where muscle meets bone and that they are triggered by stretching them.

Anyone know more than that? I also intend to find out what happens if I skip the meds and start with the stretch tomorrow.

lou_lou 06-23-2009 01:31 PM

brain -body connection..very important

Neuroscientists, educators, nutritionists, psychiatrists, geneticists, and yogis are examining the mind-body link to figure out how we learn.

Brain-based research demonstrates:

•Our ability to generate new brain cells accounts for the brain's plasticity--its ability to continue to learn and update its database.

•Our minds and bodies work together to help us pay attention, solve problems, and remember solutions. Our physiological states support our mental efforts. Movement and exercise can enhance optimal learning states.

•Emotional peace and connectivity help ensure a continued state of mental acuity, not to mention mental longevity.

http://www.trans4mind.com/counterpoi...ss/weiss.shtml