NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Insurance (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/90986-insurance.html)

fishnbuddy 06-25-2009 02:37 PM

Insurance

How come dentistry is not covered by health insurance? I mean real health insurance, not the ones where a cap still cost $300 to the person in the chare. What I mean is have the dental work done and there is a $15 copay just like when I see my nuero.

I asked this of my insurance and they told me because denistry is considered "cosmetic" and not medical. Yet the dentist is called a "doctor" he does pescribe meds, he does tell us if we dont take care of our teeth we will have all kinds of medical problems, so why cant I see a dentist and pay a $15 copay.

I have MS, my neuro's time is worth the same as any dentist, she pescribes meds, she is called a doctor. What's up with that?

Bryanna 06-26-2009 09:13 PM

Hi fishnbuddy,

You are right! Dentistry is indeed a major part of everyones life and should be considered in the same category as medical care. Dentists attend 4 years of dental school after they receive their BA from an accredited college and those who choose to specialize, attend another 2-4+ years after general dental school. So it is very similar to what a physician does.... yet it is not recognized as important or pertinent as medical care.

The insurance rep that told you dentistry is considered "cosmetic" and not medical is correct. As silly as that sounds........it is unfortunate but true. It is only in the last 15+ years that physicians are "slowly" becoming more interested in their patients dental health. And to be fair...... it is only in that same time frame that dentists are "slowly" recognizing the mouth and body connection. Perhaps it would make sense if all dentists had to also be MD's??

I personally feel that health insurance should incorporte all things that apply to ones health and everyone should have the same insurance plan irrelevant of their professional status. What are your thoughts on that??

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnbuddy (Post 528598)
How come dentistry is not covered by health insurance? I mean real health insurance, not the ones where a cap still cost $300 to the person in the chare. What I mean is have the dental work done and there is a $15 copay just like when I see my nuero.

I asked this of my insurance and they told me because denistry is considered "cosmetic" and not medical. Yet the dentist is called a "doctor" he does pescribe meds, he does tell us if we dont take care of our teeth we will have all kinds of medical problems, so why cant I see a dentist and pay a $15 copay.

I have MS, my neuro's time is worth the same as any dentist, she pescribes meds, she is called a doctor. What's up with that?

Kitt 06-27-2009 09:24 AM

You have to carry special health insurance for your teeth. Some people do. It is unfortunate that regular health insurance does not cover it. However, some regular health insurance policies do cover the removal of impacted wisdom teeth.