NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Vomit question (gross) (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/92018-vomit-question-gross.html)

stayathomemom 07-02-2009 07:46 PM

Vomit question (gross)

The past few days I have had a stomach virus. Everyone had it & finally Mommy got it.

A friend of ours told my husband that if I should vomit, he needs to wear gloves to clean it up and to flush the vomit & bleach the toilet bowl, emesis basin and to toss out any linen that may get contaminated by my "chemo vomit"? I've been on Imuran for years and never heard this. But then I haven't vomited in years either.

Anybody know if these precautions are necessary or simply alarmist?

Jenna

Brennan068 07-02-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stayathomemom (Post 532281)
The past few days I have had a stomach virus. Everyone had it & finally Mommy got it.

A friend of ours told my husband that if I should vomit, he needs to wear gloves to clean it up and to flush the vomit & bleach the toilet bowl, emesis basin and to toss out any linen that may get contaminated by my "chemo vomit"? I've been on Imuran for years and never heard this. But then I haven't vomited in years either.

Anybody know if these precautions are necessary or simply alarmist?

Jenna

Wow.... seriously seriously alarmist. Gloves are nice to keep his hands out of the puke, but toss the linen? silly imo. Wash it, it'll be fine.

redtail 07-02-2009 08:25 PM

Yep I agree with Brennan, I mean whooa havnt you got enough to worry about????

rach73 07-03-2009 02:47 PM

This is crazy!

If your Vomit was that dangerous the medication would have a warning on it!!! Does it glow in the dark? I mean the vomit not the medication LOL!

Seriously though, I hope you and your family feel better soon and remember to stay hydrated. Small sips of water!

Love
Rach

AnnieB3 07-03-2009 03:07 PM

Obviously that "friend" doesn't know what they are talking about. Do they really think you are on chemo drugs? Immunosuppressants are not radioactive. If you have MRSA (Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus) or Clostridium Difficile or some other bad bacteria, then precautions should be taken with what people come in contact with.

Sounds like your friend has a really bad case of Ignorance. Now I personally would consider THAT dangerous. ;)

Annie

Joanmarie63 07-03-2009 03:31 PM

I just LOVE annies reply! She hit it out of the park. Sad that your friends think this way but people say dumb things when they don't understand something. I wish a speedy recovery to you and hope it doesn't travel through the family again. :hug:

mrsD 07-03-2009 03:45 PM

In public places, workers have strict rules on how to handle vomit. No one knows if the person vomiting has hepatitis for example. Or AIDs.

But in a closed environment, the risks are much less. Certainly someone may vomit if they ate contaminated food with E Coli for example. That type of vomit might spread the infection.
But regular people? Just normal cleanliness guidelines should be enough.

But a normally healthy person, with vertigo or drug side effects doesn't have to be so strict.

I would wash any linens in hot water with mild bleach if possible.

The Norwalk intestinal viruses could be spread from person to person, and they are very contagious. So are the infant GI viruses very contagious, so handling contaminated things with vomit on them would be prudent. But you don't need a blowtorch or extreme measures.

littlekitten 07-03-2009 04:21 PM

Goodness!!!

Having had the experience of being trough intense chemo in 1999 and 2006....I will say that is DEFINITELY overkill!

Lydia

Ps....I wonder if this friends kids live in glass bubbles?

stayathomemom 07-03-2009 06:36 PM

Thank you all so much for your input.
My friend Stacey has no kids, actually and maybe it's a good thing! LOL:rolleyes:

When I taught at the preschool, I never got any kind of stomach viruses. Even on immunosuppressants.

This is the first stomach virus since MG and I never knew how much strength it takes to vomit. My youngest is still not quite up to par.

Guess dh & older child will be going to the in-laws tomorrow without us. Since MIL doesn't cook, maybe it's a mixed blessing!:p

Have a Happy Independence Day,
Jenna

xmas 25 07-03-2009 09:01 PM

better they rhink everything is "dirty" so they keep them selves and other less exposed to germs of all kinds. better than the person[the unsickies who go to work etc when they are ill! or even worse the people who cough into their hands you should cough on to sleeve or shoulder that way you don't speard more from hand to hand contact