NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Scheduled for CT and Nerve Stim Test (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/92580-scheduled-ct-nerve-stim-test.html)

scarpettafan 07-07-2009 10:52 AM

Scheduled for CT and Nerve Stim Test

Well, I'm scheduled for the CT this Thursday to check the thymus and then I am scheduled for the repetitive nerve stimulation test on the 15th.

How uncomfortable will the RNS be? So not looking foward to that. :(

Thanks,
Shannon

xmas 25 07-07-2009 12:17 PM

it wasn't the worst procedure i've had but i also took 4 ibuprofen before i went on dr advice to take the edge off!

rach73 07-07-2009 01:14 PM

Between RNS and a lumbar puncture Id have the RNS again. Ive had 4 RNS/ SFEMG. Its not the most pleasant experience Ive had and it brought tears to my eyes! But I would have it a thousand times before I had a spinal tap again!

I think taking painkillers before you go might be a good idea!

Good luck
Rach

Joanmarie63 07-07-2009 03:21 PM

Yup take pain pill first..LOL, now it didn't hurt my left side but it did hurt my right side, so I guess it depends on how your body can handle pain. To me it was like bee stings or electric shock.

scarpettafan 07-07-2009 03:34 PM

Thanks for the advice about taking pain meds before hand. I will definitely do that.

Scots Kat 07-07-2009 04:47 PM

I agree with the beesting/shock analogy. The procedure is really uncomfy but only for a second or two. The worst part for me was the incredibly hot doctor who was doing it and all I could imagine was my ridiculous face all screwed up by the shocks and i had tears running down my face at one point. It was a but embarassing but worth it to solidify my diagnosis. Hope it goes all right!
Good luck!
~Kathy

ConnieS 07-09-2009 04:05 AM

hi!

YEs yes yes. Between a spinal tap and the RNS, I'd do the RNS over and over again. Lol. One thing I found extremely helpful was to be as relaxed as possible. Cos if the muscles are all tensed up, its gonna hurt a lot more. I've had 5 RNS/EMGs done so far, and 1 spinal tap, and I still do think the former's a thousand times better. Lol.. The pain is bearable, just like having the iv drips' needle inserted. Though at one point my tears just came out on their own and sort of flooded my face.. Embarassing, but still much better than spinal tap. :p

Pat 110 07-10-2009 12:17 PM

Hi Shannon,

Take the pills, relax as much as possible and if the tears come let them flow! Holding them back will only make you tense up and don't feel the least bit embarrassed. It will be over quickly, so just hang in there. I'll be keeping good thoughts. Let us know how you make out when you feel up to it. Take care.;)

Hugs,
Pat

erinhermes 07-11-2009 02:46 PM

Hi scarpettafan!

Hey hon! How did the test go? Are you feeling OK?

Big hugs!
~Erin:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarpettafan (Post 534025)
Well, I'm scheduled for the CT this Thursday to check the thymus and then I am scheduled for the repetitive nerve stimulation test on the 15th.

How uncomfortable will the RNS be? So not looking foward to that. :(

Thanks,
Shannon

scarpettafan 07-11-2009 07:28 PM

The CT went fine. I don't know anything from it yet. I have the nerve stim on Wednesday. Really not looking foward to that but will make sure to take some ibuprofen or tylenol first.

Got really exhausted today from being outside at a Patriot Tea Party. Oh my gosh, had to lay down for 4 hours. Migraine from the heat, eyes swelling (I think allergy) and just totally wiped out. Had to take benadryl with migraine meds and pretty much slept the day away. I intend to stay inside the rest of the weekend.

Will let everyone know how the nerve stim goes on Wednesday.

Thanks,
Shannon:cool: