NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Differance between R-Lipoic Acid and Alpha Lipoic Acid?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/92640-differance-lipoic-acid-alpha-lipoic-acid.html)

Marty SLC 07-07-2009 10:03 PM

Differance between R-Lipoic Acid and Alpha Lipoic Acid??

Has this been asked a thousand times?

What the differance between R-Lipoic Acid and Alpha Lipoic Acid??

Brian 07-07-2009 11:53 PM

The R- lipoic acid is much more potent than the alpha lipoic acid.

glenntaj 07-08-2009 06:22 AM

Brian is correct--

--and this is due to the fact that naturaly, lipoic acid only occurs in the R-isomer form, but commercial preparations have normally contained both the R and S-isomer forms, and the latter is not is a bodily usable form (having to do, chemically, with the "handedness" of the molecules and their ability to fit into cellular reaction mechanisms).

The Wikipedia article explains this, though rather technically. The Linus Pauling Institute article is a bit less technical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoic_Acid

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/othernuts/la/

The usual efficacy I've seen quoted is that the amount of usable Lipoic acid from R-lipoic is roughly six to ten times that of a racemic mixture, so if one is taking 600mg of alpha lipoic each day, one can get a similar effect from 60-100mg of R-lipoic. Of course, there are individual differences. I went from 600mg of alpha lipoic to 100mg of R-lipoic, and seem to get roughly the same effect. The other advantage is that some people find the supplement, well, acidy, and the smaller amount of R-lipoic needed tends to help with that.

mrsD 07-08-2009 08:11 AM

Given the LONG track record in the research on the benefits of
lipoic acid, it is very worth taking.

It appears in the aging research as a mito support, in addition to the PN papers.

I take 100mg of r-lipoic myself.

There is one paper out there on the alpha form causing some thyroid suppression in rats. It as not been duplicated/verified in rats or humans at this time. It might be "alpha" version has this
tendency. I've been on r-lipoic for over a year now, and my thyroid tests have not changed, and I have not needed any increases in doses.

Marty SLC 07-08-2009 11:06 AM

Another question, sorry

I bought Acetyl L-Carnitine (400mg per does) that has some Alpha Lipoic Acid (200mg per does) in it from walmart. It was inexpensive but I'm wondering once I bump up the Acetyl L-Caritine to 1200mg if I will be getting to much Alpha Liptoic Acid at 600mg per day?

If so I can add Acetyl L-Carnitine to my order from Iherb.com and disontinue to buy the stuff from walmart.

Also since r-lipoic is better I will add 100mg of r-lipoic to my order.

Thanks a bunch! :)

stagger 07-08-2009 01:51 PM

Hello,
Thanks for bringing this up, started the ALA and AcetylL Carnitine this week from IHerb, will change to the R-Lipoic Acid next month. Hope everyone is feeling GOOD.
Lanny

Marty SLC 07-08-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stagger (Post 534580)
Hello,
Thanks for bringing this up, started the ALA and AcetylL Carnitine this week from IHerb, will change to the R-Lipoic Acid next month. Hope everyone is feeling GOOD.
Lanny

Sounds like your in the same boat as me. LOL I've bought the wrong magnesium. LOL Make sure it's not oxcide. Now I'm woundering if Acetyl L-Carnitine (400mg per dose) that has some Alpha Lipoic Acid (200mg per dose) is going to no good once I bump it up to 1200mg of the needed Acetyl L-Carnitine. LOL

Good luck

mrsD 07-08-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty SLC (Post 534644)
Sounds like your in the same boat as me. LOL I've bought the wrong magnesium. LOL Make sure it's not oxcide. Now I'm woundering if Acetyl L-Carnitine (400mg per dose) that has some Alpha Lipoic Acid (200mg per dose) is going to no good once I bump it up to 1200mg of the needed Acetyl L-Carnitine. LOL

Good luck

I should be okay.

Just don't take the high doses all at once. Carnitine has a ceiling on absorption, so dividing it up during the day makes for better results. If you get loose stools, you'll know it is not getting absorbed. (sort of like the magnesium).

skipper53bill 02-07-2014 12:10 PM

stabilized r lipoic acid

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 534648)
I should be okay.

Just don't take the high doses all at once. Carnitine has a ceiling on absorption, so dividing it up during the day makes for better results. If you get loose stools, you'll know it is not getting absorbed. (sort of like the magnesium).

how long does it take for stabilized r lipoic acid to start working, i was taking the regular r lipoic acid but need something to help a whole lot more with the burning and the inflammation, i was using the r lipoic acid at 1800mg for 2 months and i just started using the stabilized r lipoic acid this morning, it is doctors best by the way 200mg, i quit the normal r version last nifht and started the stabilized this morning, please let me know, thank you.

Balanchine 02-07-2014 12:18 PM

All interesting reading and I had no idea of the difference. I've been taking the Alpha Lipoic for maybe 4 months, although only 400 mg a day since it was bothering my stomach. I'll do a search for the R form and order some.

I should note that I haven't felt a bit of difference since going on the Alpha and the rest of the regimen - L-Carnitine (L Tartate) 500 mg, B12 (methylcobalamin) 2500 mcg, B6, D3, Magnesium Malate and CoQ-10. I stopped the fish oil because of the scary stories I've been reading about prostate issues.

Guess all this will take time!