NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Cognitive Dysfunction (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/92714-cognitive-dysfunction.html)

Kitty 07-08-2009 02:48 PM

Cognitive Dysfunction

"Cognitive dysfunction as a symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS) may be the one that makes me the saddest. I can get angry at the “MS hug” and frustrated with trembling hands, but being mad at how my own brain and though patterns are misfiring is a little too complicated. It is also the symptom that is the hardest to talk about with people without MS, as it often comes across as a lame-sounding apology for being “ditzy” or is met with people mentioning how forgetful they have also become since they had children or turned 70."

http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms..._over.htm?nl=1

Friend2U 07-08-2009 03:07 PM

I agree...it's not something that is "seen" by others. It is something that was affecting my life for quite a while before I knew what the reason was. It's not easily understood by me, much less others who I've tried to explain it to.

I remember when still working how hard it was to come up with descriptive words that I was looking for. It was so frustrating. I have one good friend who would help me say the word I was looking for. Bless her heart. She was a good friend. We neither one knew the reason for it. She is the one friend I think who is closest to understanding it all.

Bless your heart Kitty... :hug:... This rotten label we've been given!:(

Blessings2You 07-08-2009 05:15 PM

That nefarious "cog fog" is what sent me to the doctor in the first place. I said to him, "Am I too young to be this tired and this stupid?" He responded, "How tired and stupid are you?"

When described my cognitive dysfunction, he agreed that I was "stupider" than I should be unless something was going on, and the testing began.

When I'm in a resentful mood, I resent that symptom the most. The reason is that the way I walk isn't the essence of who I am. The way I THINK is. And in that sense, I'm not me anymore.

SallyC 07-08-2009 05:39 PM

I have been soooo lucky, so far, not to be plagued by Cognative problems, but then I'm getting close to 70..:)

I haven't checked my MRIs to see what kind of lesions I have, but I guess, by what I read, that the ones that cause CogFog are different.

I'm thinking that the LDN may be helping me with this???

My heart goes out to you suffering from this SX of MS. :hug:

Riverwild 07-08-2009 06:01 PM

The cog fog was my chief symptom at diagnosis, along with ON.

It's terrifying when you start losing your ability to think clearly.

It's even more terrifying when the people you love the most don't understand that the person they purport to love and support is losing their mind suddenly with no warning and they start with the "oh, I have that too"

I just gave up and listened to their stories and thought to myself...

No. You don't.

Friend2U 07-08-2009 07:26 PM

This symptom is not nice, but it IS 'nice' to be able to talk with those of you who understand!:o

Before dx, I was getting to where I would have to pull 'all nighters' to meet dead lines that normally would have just taken me a very few hours. Then when I finally finished I could look at what was done and look at the clock and literally be so confused and dumbfounded as to HOW and WHY this took me so long!!!

...just thinking out loud! I think!!!:p

karousel 07-08-2009 11:03 PM

This is my biggest problem with MS and it is awful. I do have to share with you one good thing that has come out of it though. Always got to find the silver lining. My mother is having major cognitive problems, many of them similar to mine, because of her deteriorating health. I can honestly tell her that I do understand her frustration and anger because I too suffer from the same things and I'm pretty sure it helps her knowing someone understands. Unfortunately she won't remember any of it five minutes later but I still got to help her for a short time.

Friend2U 07-08-2009 11:21 PM

Silver Linings are Good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karousel (Post 534805)
This is my biggest problem with MS and it is awful. I do have to share with you one good thing that has come out of it though. Always got to find the silver lining. My mother is having major cognitive problems, many of them similar to mine, because of her deteriorating health. I can honestly tell her that I do understand her frustration and anger because I too suffer from the same things and I'm pretty sure it helps her knowing someone understands. Unfortunately she won't remember any of it five minutes later but I still got to help her for a short time.

There are a lot of things I have to be thankful for. I think I have been able to touch the lives of some others that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to without the MS experience.

That is a definite silver lining that you are able to understand what your mom goes through. Every 5 minutes count and is special for your mom and you.
Hang in there! :hug:

coletaterbug 07-10-2009 08:00 AM

I have one good friend who would help me say the word I was looking for. Bless her heart. She was a good friend. We neither one knew the reason for it. She is the one friend I think who is closest to understanding it all.

Funny thing is I have 3 kids and I stumble for what I am trying to say. They see that and they help me find the words I am looking for. Sometimes I say stuff totally backwards and they think it is hilarious. Sometimes I laugh at myself because if you have ever said some stuff all wrong it can make for some interesting conversation lol.

Kitty 07-10-2009 09:22 AM

So true!! You have to find the humor in it....otherwise it'll drive you batty! :D