NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Weight Loss & Healthy Living (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/)
-   -   Judy's Inspiration Alley #3 (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/94231-judys-inspiration-alley-3-a.html)

NurseNancy 07-18-2009 04:42 PM

Judy's Inspiration Alley #3

starting a new thread per request to help save the server.

i'm staying in this wk/e. that terrible pain finally broke. i have no idea why it escalated to such a bad state and why it just broke and i'm feeling better.
i did take 2 percoset and an ativan on thurs and stayed in bed. maybe it just broke the pain cycle like my dr thought.

i got referred and got an appt to a pain dr. the appt is aug 12.

other wise i'm just staying cool. doing stuff around the apt and i'm going to cook a noodle kugel. i have a dermatology appt f/u for the cancer on mon. the guy is from Brooklyn and is also Jewish so i promised him i'd make it the next appt.

hope you all are having a good wk/e. how's your weather?

SandyC 07-19-2009 12:26 PM

Hey everyone. We are home from the Smokey Mountains. I updated on mom in both threads and posted a link to some pics in the Insights thread. I didn't get many since mom took a dive and got sick. What a trip. I'm pretty sure I didn't gain weight since I didn't eat thanks to the stress. Ugh.

NurseNancy 07-19-2009 06:21 PM

hi sandy,

it's good to know you guys made it home.
con't prayers to your mom.

i stayed in this wk/e. yesterday i did housecleaning stuff. today i made a noodle kugel and cooked one other ground beef dish for dinner. i made a taco recipe. we'll see how it is.

this wk i'll be out every day and thankfully my massage therapist comes back from vacation. my pain is present but under control. i'm medicating prophylactically to try and avoid last wk's episode.

hope your's wk goes well. :)

weight bad. gained 5lb. but it may come off as easily :D

AfterMyNap 07-20-2009 06:27 AM

Jeez Louise, Judy! I'm not joking, have you thought at all about canibus for the pain? It does work and it doesn't require a lot to get results; if nothing else, just to help you get a decent night's sleep! I'm sorry this is beating you up so badly, few things are as disturbing as constant pain.

Sandy, what an ordeal on your vacation! But, in the long view, it is most excellent that you were right there when it all happened. Your poor mom sure has had a rough run of it.

I've been eating well and moving a lot more than usual, yet, the muffin top remains (??); but I also have the hormone excuse to fall back on for now. :o I can wear the skinny girl clothes but not as comfortably as the fat girl size. I just have to keep pushing the envelope!

I have many points of muscle pain as so many are now waking up again after a 6-year hiatus. I'm anxious for them to come back to function and tend to overdo it most days. Since I'm forced to wear socks in summer by the bot foot, I will go to the mall today to get some more and walk about in their A/C until I'm cooked.

I adore the pain! This is the first time that leg has felt anything in years. I even walked on rough, grassy terrain with cane only at PT on Friday. I was pretty scared, but it was grand!

NurseNancy 07-20-2009 03:50 PM

i'll ask about that at my appt. i see my pcp this wk.
it's legal in CO but still against Federal law, i believe.

i'm tickled that you're doing so well cindy.
have you thought about massage?

my matching bookcase to my desk (chrome, wood & glass) will be put up on Wed. can't wait. i'm going to put my file cabinet on sliders so i can move it.
and the desk and bookcase will be on sliders too. they're the greatest invention.

sandy, hope you're doing ok after your trip.

take care all.

DM 07-20-2009 03:54 PM

Holy Guacamoly!! I tried to follow the bread crumbs to your new thread Judy dear, but AMN kept eating them. Whew, I made it. :p

Wow, so much has gone on w/everyone and I am so out of the loop, as haven't been online much at all.
I will try and read a little more and update, but sure am sorry about all your nasty pain, Judy and of course, your Mother, Sandy. I am aware of all AMN's antics w/the Bot, so don't have to catch up there. She's still as dorky as ever. :D:D:D:D

Since you asked, dear Judy~ my niece had brain/skull surgery to repair Chiari Malformation and is recuping at home now. She is 35 and like another DD to us. It was very risky/serious surgery and we are all so very thankful that is behind her now.

I am still having the eye/neck pain, but see my Dr on Thurs. I'm like you, as long as I try and keep ahead of the pain, it doesn't seem as harsh, but I had a few days that I felt like cutting my head off. blech!!

What's a noodle kugel? It sounds kinky!! (kidding) ha! :D:D:D:D

Take care and I'll have some coffee w/AMN's muffin top.

(ka racking self up for one billionth time)

NurseNancy 07-21-2009 09:02 PM

DM...that is risky. i'm glad she came thru it and is recovering. i wish her well.
i'm sorry about your pain and hope your appt goes well on thurs.

i went to PT this am. my lymphedema is no better so she showed me how to wrap my arm. it almost looks like a cast. stockinette over the entire arm, cotton type wrap over that and ace wrap over that. she included my hand but i need my hand and so i'm starting the wrap at my wrist.

she said i should wear it 24/7 except for showers. i look like the swamp creature's wife! plus, it's hot. and don't ask what i do when i can't wear sleeveless tops. ? i don't know if i can sleep in this but i'll try. i can't duplicate exactly how she wrapped it but i guess it'll do.

a noodle kugel/pudding is made up of this: my mom's recipe is so easy. you mix together the ingredients and put the uncooked noodles in the same bowl. turn it out into a 9 x 13 pan and bake for 1 hr.
some of the ingredients are:

egg noodles, butter, cinnamon, eggs, milk, crushed pineapple, handful of raisins, sugar, vanilla etc. it's a bit on the sweet side but i add less sugar and use skim milk. my family loves it. my niece always requests it when she comes.

if you want the recipe i'll be more specific. we eat it as a substitute for potatoes with a main dish like chicken or brisket.

well, take care. i'll see you tomorrow.

AfterMyNap 07-22-2009 06:58 PM

That bites about your arm, dear Judy. I don't know about you, but I can never replicate what the pros do when it comes to bandaging, no matter how hard I try. Hey, does this make you a lymphomaniac?

Muffin top checking in, not too bad today, no buttons or zippers popped off in the wearing of the skinny garments. Still a tad snug, but I maintain my hormone defense.

I've been a little lower on energy lately, the MSish way, and it's frustrating because my mind wants to keep pushing for the old me. I did manage to walker my way through one of the larger grocery stores today for a few items. It's quite nice to be able to do that again!

NurseNancy 07-22-2009 07:01 PM

got back from the dr, again (umph).
he's going to increase my detrol.
he said to stop the crestor in case it's making my muscle pain worse.
he's going to recheck my iron and if it's still low i'll get it IV. he said that low iron could cause muscle pain but i forgot to ask how.

thankfully my massage is tomorrow. it's been 2 whole wks and my body knows it. then fri, sat, sun will be quiet. i think i'll redo my closet.

i got my bookcase put together today. it's perfect. i'm glad i got it. it looks great with the desk and fits in the space perfectly. my copy machine fits perfectly also.

well, i'm going to go listen to the president's talk.

NurseNancy 07-25-2009 05:10 PM

hi guys. i've stayed in the wk/e. in my AC, ahhhh.
i'm going thru my things and setting aside stuff i don't want to take to FL.
next yr i'll be getting rid of a lot of my clothes. can't take all that warm stuff with me.

so lots of projects to do around here.
i don't have to go out til tues. but, the temps are going to cool into the 80's from 93 so this wk will be easier to get out.

hope you're all having a good wk/e.

sabimax 07-25-2009 05:29 PM

hugsss Judy,

long time... sorry you are having troubles...hugsssssss gentle ones...

I am doing ok, although had to cancel a dinner out with hubby and my dad... we all three were going to eat at the golf course... a dinner for the tournament hubby is in...

but bit ago I was in shower and bam... almost fell from balance hitting so off all of a sudden... and now sitting up has me dizzy.. about to take a cat nap... hoping better for work tomorrow...

I went to Florida last weekend for work, it was awesome, but overdid it the two days, with the work stuff and fun stuff... that last day before flights did the dizzies and puking even uggggg all I needed was sleep... I was sleeping on a bench outside the Orlando Airport a bit while the person I went with was reading her book... she was a bit worried about me... I explained I will be ok....

anyhow, hoping you have a great day and weekend..hugsss,sarah

NurseNancy 07-25-2009 07:44 PM

hi sarah, sorry you're having a rough time and feeling bad make the trip difficult. i hope being home and taking it easy will help.
good luck with work. have your drs ever been able to come up with something? it's so frustrating, isn't it?

well, take care. J

soxmom 07-27-2009 10:32 AM

Hey all!

Back from the Cape...had a lovely time but dont even want to look
at a scale as I ate lots of seafood and some of it was fried:eek::D.

The kids had a blast as it was their first "stay at the beach for a week"
vacation. I grew up on those vacations so it was nice to see my kids
enjoy it too!

The weather was perfect when it was....72 degrees with a nice breeze.:)
Had two really rainy days but we spent it shopping and such.

Sarah and judy...sorry to see you are both feeling carpy:hug:

Nappy...your reports of your botfoot are heartwarming and amazing..you
go girl! YOu have to be shedding pounds with all your moving around!:hug:

NurseNancy 07-27-2009 03:09 PM

hey sox, i'm glad you're back and had a great vacation.
i don't remember...how many kids do you have, and how old are they?

i got out at 0900 and went grocery shopping. so i don't have to worry about food in the house with 2 wks of injections. i'm going to call the office today and find out more about it. i'm not clear now on how it will differ from the last several times.

otherwise i'm good. i got a lot done in the bedroom and closet. still more to do so i'm taking it in stages.

it's only monday and i can't wait for my massage. i had to push it to Sat to give me a couple of days to rest after the injections. don't want to push on that. :eek:

soxmom 07-27-2009 03:43 PM

Hey Judy...glad your pain is under control.:)

My children are 19, 17, 10, and 6.:) Yuppers ,they are spread out but it
works for us.:)

NurseNancy 07-28-2009 08:51 PM

out for haircut and then home.
going for injection tomorrow so i'll let you know how it goes.

still walking and wt stable.

soxmom 07-29-2009 06:28 AM

good luck with your injection today:hug:

NurseNancy 07-29-2009 11:41 PM

whew, i made it thru today.
he did 4 shots. the neurosurgeon wanted him to do the facets, not the nerves.
he explained it all but i can't remember enuf to tell you.

it's more of a diagnostic step. but of course i can't remember it. based on the results (in my pain) they'll know which course of action to take.

i came home and ate. it was 1600 and i hadn't eaten since 0930. they were an hr late taking me in. then i fell into a deep sleep for about 3 hrs and now i'm ready to go to bed for the nite.

my dr upped my detrol and my nitetime incontinence has improved.
thank goodness for those protective mattress pads.

DM 07-30-2009 02:16 PM

Hello Judy dear and all! I haven't been online much, but thought it was time for me to check up on you. Sure hope the inj's work, my friend. Pain stinks!

I have been going round and round w/headaches and neck pain, which appears to be a musculoskeletal problem. I start PT on Mon at a new place that comes highly recommended and I'm praying they can help me. If I can't get the pain under control, then the Spec will probably do some injections. I've about had it, that's for sure.

Other than that, we have been camping every Thurs - Sun and sometimes even go out on Wed's. It's what we love and even w/muscle pain, camping seems to relax a person.

That's the jist on me and I hope everyone has a good wkend.

Good deal on the stable wt, Judy~wudy.

HMHY:hug::hug::hug::hug:

NurseNancy 07-30-2009 05:11 PM

dearest DM...i'm glad you're having a good time camping. what do you do during the day and evg? i've only been camping once or twice and didn't like it. do you guys have a camper? who comes with you? and ps...how's your son doing?

i could hardly believe this but i fell asleep all nite in my chair WITH the tv on:eek: i woke up at 0630, stayed up a while then went back to bed. i feel like i've been hit by a mac truck today. i don't think the injections did a thing. just bending a bit to wash my hands hurts my back. we'll see.

staying close to home today. i might go out tomorrow to run some errands.
nothing but a massage planned for the wk/e. something will come up.

have a good one.

billie 07-31-2009 10:51 PM

So Glad

So glad that your pain is better. Is your ankle area the site of your cancer? I'm trying to be a skinny butt, too. It is not easy, but I can't eat when I'm typing!! billie

NurseNancy 08-01-2009 10:44 PM

hi billie,

i was dx'd with breast CA last yr. i had bilateral lumpectomies and radiation and as of now i'm cured.

had my massage today. it helped and hurt, as usual.
i don't think those shots did a thing. i'm still feeling nerve pain into my butt and into my legs. i'll talk to the office on mon but i'm not inclined to do this again wed as scheduled. they'll have to convince me that there's a really good reason.

i should feel better tomorrow. that's usually what happens.
have a great wk/e everyone.

SandyC 08-02-2009 12:10 PM

Hey everyone! Sorry I have been MIA but things are a tad busy around here. I may have mom talked into coming to stay with us but she's holding out. She said moving, packing and transferring banks is all too much for her. I can understand that!

Jim had botox last week and so far no results from it. The doctor said it could be three weeks before we see any benefits. She shot up the muscles that cause the legs to cross over one another and the lower calves.

I am steady in my weight, no loss, no gain but I have developed some muscle definition from building our pond. Miss Muffin Roll is smaller so that's good.

Hope everyone is having a peaceful weekend. It's our 25th dating anniversary today but nothing is on the agenda. We're being lazy butts and we're OK with that. lol

:grouphug:

NurseNancy 08-02-2009 09:33 PM

sandy...congrats on your anniversary. i hope those shots help jim. this may be a crazy idea but could they cut any nerves? would that help deactivate some muscles?

maybe AMN should build a pond somewhere :D

my housekeeper came today. i love the apt the 1st wk when she comes. i try to keep everything just so to make it last. pain a bit better today.

AfterMyNap 08-03-2009 06:06 AM

Hi, all, lookin' good all around. Hi, Billie! Glad you could make it!

I have had a houseful of people these past few days, we're down to the serious inventory and sorting process of the estate. It's a very tight, emotional time and we've run the gamut from hysterical laughter to bitter tears.

We ended yesterday with a huge feast styled after the one our parents did for us every late summer.

They're still here and there is still plenty of work to be done, but they'll all go back today and I'm kind of looking forward to some quiet and better food choices!

My brother has been making me drink Crown Royal like it's going out of style. I'm the victim here!

NurseNancy 08-03-2009 05:55 PM

glad you're getting things more settled cin. i know how much work it takes. i'm glad you've got help.

i've got some pieces of the puzzle in. i spoke to the injection dr's nurse today. thank goodness that this wed's injection is OFF. i don't think i would have gone ahead anyway. because i've had all this pain for days she says that (duh) this injection into the facets etc didn't work. that means that ablation wouldn't be the answer either.

that leaves us with the x-stop procedure. i printed a big article off of google on this so i need to read up more before 8/24. that's when i have an appt with him to review all this and make plan B. i don't want to rush into anything but even she said this procedure is relatively minor and can be very effective.

so, my friend and i are going out to lunch instead on wed. at least we'll have some fun.

DM 08-04-2009 02:49 PM

Hey all! Hello Judy Dear! Just catching up around here, as haven't been online much. It's Summer and the days are just flying by. We have been camping so much, but that's a good thing.

Sorry about your ongoing pain Judy, but I do think I can relate. I have been suffering for months w/agonizing neck/head pain. I went to a new Physical Therapy place yest and boy oh boy, did the therapist give me a workover. He had me squirming, but in a good way. After looking over all of my reports, etc, believes my neck was injured in my fall from the kitchen chair months ago. He has magic hands, that's for sure. I go back Wed and am excited to be able to have hope that he can relieve some of my pain.

I am not anxious to see Summer slip away. It's humid here today, but I swore I would not complain about it after Winter kicked my tail last yr. I cannot even fathom the thought of cold nasty weather.

AMN is bot footing it all over the place and it gives me a good feeling knowing that medical science is, indeed, working to improve the lives of others. With the injections, Judy~ I had several yrs ago and am under the impression (w/my experience) that sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. My Dr wants to do inj's in my neck if the PT doesn't help, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Sandy~ as usual, Jim is in my thoughts, as I could learn alot from him. Seems like he gets so many lemons in his life, but he continues to make lemon meringue pie. (heck w/the lemondade) Well, have a good one all and I'll check in again.

P.S. AMN has stinky feet.

NurseNancy 08-04-2009 05:23 PM

hey DM. i hope the PT helps. wouldn't that be grand? :D

AMN must have stinky BOT feet. i'm crack'in myself up. :D

went out today for errands. it's very hot here.
pain manageable. but i sure can tell a difference after those injections last wk. i feel the nerve pain stuff in my butt and legs.

well, carry on all.

AfterMyNap 08-06-2009 06:33 AM

Hey, Dingbat! My stinky feet wouldn't bother you if you'd quit kissin' 'em all the time!

:ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

Careful there, Judy, you're getting dangerously close to dingbatism. :eek:

Well, my eating choices have improved tenfold since I got rid of the knuckleheads. They make me eat way too much, way too often, and way too poorly! Okay, we don't eat poorly, but that's part of the problem.

I'm still alternating between fat and skinny girl clothes, I swear my fat is shifting or something. Ugh, muffin top comes and goes like MI weather and I just don't get it.

I need a manicure.

NurseNancy 08-06-2009 05:31 PM

had my massage today and feel loads better. maybe it will last thru the wk/e.
tomorrow i'm taking a friend to the hospital for guess what? back injections.
saturday i'm having brkfst with lenora. i hope she can make it.
and sunday rich might come over. :D

company means i have to start folding my laundry and put it away.

SandyC 08-07-2009 09:01 AM

Hey all. Jim's legs are starting to have some changes. They are not crossing over each other in the morning and they actually feel lighter. The only downside we can see right now is his butt hurts more. We're going into week two so we'll see. He can also set his right foot down better, the Achilles heal is loosening up a bit. The neuro thinks the bone may have fused a bit so he may not get it down completely but hey, we're hopeful.

My weight is stable, no loss, no gain. I go back and forth. :rolleyes:

NurseNancy 08-07-2009 03:45 PM

sandy, that's encouraging news. does his butt hurt from sitting and being in the chair? or is it something else. and hey, stable is good. it's so easy to gain that stable is very good.

i took my friend to the hospital today for HER back injection. i ran some errands and came home. it's like 95 degrees here. too hot. i've got my AC blasting. hope there's no power outage. as soon as i stop sweating i'll turn it down. try to just use what i need.

have a great wk/e all.

SandyC 08-07-2009 05:16 PM

We're not sure Judy. It didn't hurt until he got the Botox. Weird huh?

NurseNancy 08-10-2009 02:50 PM

hi all,

hope you had a good wk/e. lenora & i sat for 3 hrs. we almost could have stayed for lunch too! we always leave an extra tip because we take up the table for longer.

yesterday i stayed in.
today i spent almost $100 on the car. we thought the WW container was leaking but it was actually the pump. so now i think i've fixed every leak there is under the hood.

i got the shingles vaccine today. so far, so good. no reaction.

soxmom 08-10-2009 02:56 PM

dear Judy and all,

been busy here as my mom has been in and out of the hospital the last
couple of weeks....they believe it was a severe allergic reaction to two
antibiotics they put her on to deal with a staph infection.

She has been off both meds since last Tuesday so I was hoping she
would be doing better than she is.

She had some funky numbers on some blood panels and they attributing
that to the drugs...they will draw blood on friday and if there are not
improvements then she will have further testing

So that and the bunch of kids I have at home...I have been darn busy...think
ive lost a few more pounds too.:):o

Thinking of you all. Hugs all around.:hug:.

NurseNancy 08-11-2009 08:09 PM

sox, i'm sorry your mom has been ill. i hope she improves quickly and gets home.

i went to PT this am. she's going to ask the dr for 6 more visits.
she suggests going to a kind of pump at home. it compresses the arm and it should be about 20"/day. i just havn't had luck with the wrapping and the compression garment hurts my arm at the bend. it's also so hot.

then she wants to combine that with some sort of soft tissue work.
my breast still hurts so we hope that will all help. lymphedema is a chronic condition and it won't go away, only be controlled. great! another piece of carp to deal with. i'm so sick of all this. my attitude has taken a dive lately.

i see the "pain dr" tomorrow. i hope he's really into pain mgment. i'll see.

cindy, how's the smelly bot foot working? what adventures have you been on?

i'll report tomorrow on this appt.

AfterMyNap 08-11-2009 08:29 PM

*smack*

The bot foot does NOT stink! It ROCKS!

*smack*

Sox, that doth sucketh, it's really hard to see our parents suffering. Hang in there and tell her AMN is praying for her. I have the unlimited minutes plan with God. ;)

Judy, geez, you need more excitement and doctoring. I'm sorry this is giving you such a sucky time of it! Are you serious, 20" a day? Your arm must weigh a ton on top of the pain. :(

I'm getting along, it's way too hot out there for me, I just melt. Today I chose Target for my indoor walk and they had their bloody AC as good as off! I was furious when I found out it is controlled by the district offices (that are probably cool and comfortable).

My skinny girl clothes are feeling a little better, but STILL! Not as loose as they should be. This is ticking me off in a big way!

It's finally cooling down out there now and I need to go shuffle some stuff in the car before bed.

NurseNancy 08-12-2009 02:29 PM

hi cin, it's 20 minutes a day of the machine compressing. maybe twice.
they have to contact me and bring the machine and do the teaching.

ok, i won't make any more stinky jokes about your rocky bot foot. so there!

will check in later. almost time to leave.

DM 08-12-2009 02:42 PM

Hey all! It's me~ AWOL DM. Gosh, we are only home from Sun to Thurs due to camping, so I just haven't had the time to get online.

Started w/the new P.T and this guy has magical hands. He's been working on my neck/head etc and working to make the muscles looser. I'm still having some headaches, but not as intense every day. I go back to the Dr next wk, so she can evaluate my progress, as she's thinking the next step may be neck/muscle injections. :eek:

Sounds like you all are busy and Summer is slipping away fast. I've heard those nasty loud locusts every night and that's always a downer, knowing that sound is the link to Fall.

Hope you all feel better and that AMN washes her YES, they are ''stinky'' feet!!!! Phew!

Hang in there Judy dear and praying for your Mother, Soxs. I remember seeing the changes in my dear Mother and not knowing what was going on at the time, was so hard. Take care all. :grouphug:

NurseNancy 08-14-2009 09:30 PM

hi guys,

sorry i've been awol on my own thread. pain was the issue. makes it hard to sit at the computer.

i had my visit with the pain dr and yes, finally, he's really a pain dr. he's a DO, has 2 board certifications. one of which i can't remember, the other one in pain. he also does injections and has lots of referral info should i need it. i was there an hr and we talked about a lot. some of which i can't articulate. wish i would have taken a friend. maybe next month.

we didn't want to change too much at one time so just made 2 med changes. he told me to take 300mg of lyrica BID (twice a day) instead of 150mg QID (4 times a day). he actually thought that would increase my blood levels and keep them up longer. it's only been 48 hrs and i do believe the nerve pain in my feet/legs is less. and the stabbing pain in my feet is much less.

then he put me on AMRIX. it's a muscle relaxer. i take it an hr after dinner.
he told me to stop the ambien if i sleep on this and miraculously i have. and, i've forgotten my ambien before and i'm miserable. for 2 straight nites i've slept 5-6 hrs straight. woken up and met DM in the hallway and then slept another 2-3 hrs. i've also taken naps and still slept.

he said i couldn't take the ultram with the amrix because of a risk of seizures. but, he said i could take 1-2 percoset/day. i've done that and my pain is better. i had a long massage yesterday but today i feel better. i even went grocery shopping this am.

he affirmed my muscle pain by physical exam. he could feel all the tight muscles. thank God. someone could feel it besides me! he said that i would be 1 of 5% of his pts that he would ok narcotics for. he could try other things also. but, we'll start here.

he also offered me some muscle and SI joint injections but i'm done with being stuck for awhile. then he said something that had me confused. i have to ask more about it when i see him next month. he said that i WOULD be a candidate for the ablation. he didn't seem to agree with the dr that did my prior injections. but, i tabled that for more discussion.

so maybe i'm on my way to being tx'd for all this pain. better than going to my neuro time after time only to get no plan of care.

i'm laying low this wk/e. stuff to do at home.
well, off to watch the BRONCOS play. yay football season!