NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   broken toe (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/94662-broken-toe.html)

knittenkitten 07-22-2009 08:14 AM

broken toe

I was horsing around with my cat 2 weeks ago, caught my little toe on the door and I'm sure I broke it. Does anyone know how long this awful pain will last? It helps if I take motrin but I still have pain. I want it to stop!

Kitty 07-22-2009 09:30 AM

My Mom broke her little toe years ago (back in the 70's) and I remember her doctor telling her that there's really nothing that they can do for it.....just keep it protected and try not to bump it again. She cut that area out of her Keds so she could wear shoes and there'd be no pressure on the toe. It must have healed because I remember her wearing "normal" shoes again. It was painful for her, though. That much I remember. I hope yours gets better soon. :hug:

lady_express_44 07-22-2009 09:48 AM

Mine took months, and then it was left deformed/so that I can't bend it .... but I had crushed the bone into about 6 pieces.

There was nothing they could do for it then, but that was MANY yrs ago.

The pain wasn't bad for me, but I was a kid, and I've always had a high tolerance to pain. I was walking to school in it within a few days, but had to wear a slipper for a couple of weeks.

Cherie

braingonebad 07-22-2009 11:11 AM

Dh broke a toe (second one) the night before he left for his new job. Which entails climbing a two story ladder plus climbing up that much higher to grease gears and walking a mile or three down the rails.

He was not too happy.

He's pretty tough, even so, that hurt - so he says - for a good week. I can imagine those steel toed boots did not feel any too comfy. And you know guys.... it's not like he'd ice it or take an advil just because that's what you're supposed to do.

;)

SallyC 07-22-2009 11:26 AM

That's all a PwMS needs, is a broken toe..:eek: :mad:

SO sorry, Knit..:hug:

Taffy 07-22-2009 11:48 AM

Ouch! No! Ouch!:hug:

AZjanie 07-22-2009 01:22 PM

Many years ago I broke four toes trying to kick start a motorcycle! :eek:

I went to ER and they said there was nothing they could do but sent me home with an ice pack and said take Tylenol. :(

btw: I sold the motorcycle. :cool:

TwoKidsTwoCats 07-22-2009 01:28 PM

OUchie! been there done that! All you can do is give it time...about 3 weeks for mine. Rest, motrin, ice if you can stand it, and I kept my foot wrapped with that stretchy ACE bandage stuff... it supported the toe and protected it from getting snagged again while it was healing.

hope it feels better soon!

ali12 07-23-2009 05:17 AM

Ouch!

I haven't broken my toe before but have had a few relatives that have and they were always told to strap the toe to the next toe (if possible) to immobilise it and take some anti-inflamitaries to try and help with the pain and swelling.

Have you spoken to your doctor about it to see if he/she could maybe give you some stronger pain meds to help just until it heals, if it is broken? It might be worth visiting your GP also to see what they think you should do.

I hope you start feeling better soon. I have a chronic pain condition and have broken several bones badly before so know how hard it is to have such awful pain!

You're in my thoughts and i'm sending many pain-free hugs your way!

Alison

braingonebad 07-23-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZjanie (Post 541007)
Many years ago I broke four toes trying to kick start a motorcycle! :eek:

I went to ER and they said there was nothing they could do but sent me home with an ice pack and said take Tylenol. :(

btw: I sold the motorcycle. :cool:

...and always have a good story about how you broke your toe (s), like kick starting a motorcycle.

:cool:

Never say *Getting into the bathtub*lol...