NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Nerve & muscle Biopsies (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/94681-nerve-muscle-biopsies.html)

maryec 07-22-2009 02:51 PM

Nerve & muscle Biopsies

Looking for some info on how these biopsies are & how long recovery is. Mine is going to be in the leg. I have heard the nerve biopsy is the worst one, but do not know why. Any help with this stuff would be great !
Thank you, Mary

Ckitty60 07-22-2009 08:25 PM

Hey Maryec,
I have no insight for you but I just wanted you to know I hope this surgery goes well for you and your recovery is really quick. Why are they having to do a muscle and nerve biopsy? Hope you are feeling good today. Take care.

ckitty :)

redtail 07-22-2009 09:07 PM

Hi Mary,

can't help you as I havn't had either, but just letting you know I'm thinking of you as you have these done.
take care
Kate

nemsmom 07-22-2009 10:04 PM

I've only had one

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryec (Post 541040)
Looking for some info on how these biopsies are & how long recovery is. Mine is going to be in the leg. I have heard the nerve biopsy is the worst one, but do not know why. Any help with this stuff would be great !
Thank you, Mary

Sorry I can't be too much help, I've only had the muscle biopsy.

I also had mine on my leg. They had to do mine with only a local. Because they didn't want to put me under. As far as getting to the muscle you only feel a tugging feeling, but then when they take the sample it is a sharp pain that only lasts a few seconds for each sample they take. I think for me they took four pieces of muscle. Then they stitch you up and you have to stay for about 45 minutes (I think that's how long it was) to make sure your blood pressure is good after.

For me it was the tugging feeling that made me nauseous but it wasn't too bad. Make sure you have a couple days that you can just relax and recover because walking will be a little difficult and for the rest of they day you are supposed to try and stay off it as much as you can.

I had to go home and take care of the kids and I think that slowed my healing process way down. Oh and when they offer the pain meds take them. I didn't and wish I would have to help me sleep that first night. Otherwise I was fine with Tylenol.

I don't know about the nerve biopsy though, sorry. I hope yours goes well. Just try and relax, the doctor should talk to you through the whole thing to keep your mind off it, that helps.

Oh and ice it for the rest of the night, that really helps with the pain. I had to keep mine iced for two days I think to keep the pain down, but I was taking care of two kids under five just a couple hours after the biopsy.

Good luck, please let me know how it goes.

Kristie

ConnieS 07-23-2009 12:32 AM

Hi Mary!

Can't really help you much, I've not had either one. Muscle biopsy seems to be ok though, met this elderly man in the hospital who had to do it, and he seemed okay 1-2 days later.

Found this info on nerve biopsy though.

http://healthguide.howstuffworks.com...dictionary.htm

http://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/pip_admi..._biopsy_49.pdf

Hope someone who has done it before will let you know what to expect better!

Btw, why are they asking you to do both?

Do take care and keep us updated!

maryec 07-23-2009 07:52 AM

ckitty
I have an overlap disease, that is acting up, systemic muscles wasting, & malabsorbtion, neuropathy & myopathy, myotonia . I've been having a tougher time than usual these last 2 years. But my fingers started curling in, & stiffness started in my mid 20's, I am 47 now, my myasthenia came on after what ever the overlap is, slow progressive I guess.
So they are going to the root of the problem for my diagnosis.
Thank you all for your support!
Connie
Thank you, I will check your site out.
Of course I am in the " I gotta get things done mode !" Before I have this done, lol..... We can all relate to that right? lol......
Mary

korbi_doc 07-23-2009 08:09 AM

good luck Mary

Gosh Mary, you've been thru it...getting a dx seems to be the toughest mountain to climb.....I wish you the best of luck & hope they can help you a lot.......hang in there, you'll get thru this one.....

Dottie

maryec 07-23-2009 09:57 AM

Dottie
It's the pits, went through it for the myasthenia, now round two for this one. In the end they all seem to get treated with Pred. , immune suppressants, IVIG, Plasma, anyhow ! I can't do the meds for my myotonia because of my MG, so I just live with it.
Thank you, every day is brand new !
Mary

raloree 05-24-2012 01:34 PM

Calf Muscle Biopsy

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemsmom (Post 541158)
Sorry I can't be too much help, I've only had the muscle biopsy.

I also had mine on my leg. They had to do mine with only a local. Because they didn't want to put me under. As far as getting to the muscle you only feel a tugging feeling, but then when they take the sample it is a sharp pain that only lasts a few seconds for each sample they take. I think for me they took four pieces of muscle. Then they stitch you up and you have to stay for about 45 minutes (I think that's how long it was) to make sure your blood pressure is good after.

For me it was the tugging feeling that made me nauseous but it wasn't too bad. Make sure you have a couple days that you can just relax and recover because walking will be a little difficult and for the rest of they day you are supposed to try and stay off it as much as you can.

I had to go home and take care of the kids and I think that slowed my healing process way down. Oh and when they offer the pain meds take them. I didn't and wish I would have to help me sleep that first night. Otherwise I was fine with Tylenol.

I don't know about the nerve biopsy though, sorry. I hope yours goes well. Just try and relax, the doctor should talk to you through the whole thing to keep your mind off it, that helps.

Oh and ice it for the rest of the night, that really helps with the pain. I had to keep mine iced for two days I think to keep the pain down, but I was taking care of two kids under five just a couple hours after the biopsy.

Good luck, please let me know how it goes.

Kristie

Hi, A calf muscle biopsy (4 inch long vertical incision) was performed on my right calf 13 days ago and I remain with severe pain and discomfort and have difficulty in walking. I was recently told to give the healing process 6 weeks. This may seem like doom and gloom but it is what it is. I was also told that this experience occurs in less than 2% of the biopsies. I think that if I had to do it over again I would have immobilized and elevated the leg for the 1st 24 to 48 hours to give it a chance to begin healing. Although the out patient hospital instructions did not emphasize this they did mention it but also said walking and using the leg would be acceptable. I think my early behavier may caused some internal bleeding and now I am payiing the price. I guess I would have a detailed discussion with the Surgeon about the healing process do's and don'ts if I were to ever undergo another biopsy. THe best of luck! Keep your chin up!