NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   overactive gag reflex (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/95164-overactive-gag-reflex.html)

rach73 07-26-2009 05:14 AM

overactive gag reflex

Hi

I was wondering if anyone out there suffers from this?

Over the last few days whilst I have been brushing my teeth when I try and brush my tongue my gag reflex kicks in. Im not shoving the tooth brush down the back of my throat Im just touching a little way past the tip of my tongue.

Ive never suffered with anything like this before, does anyone else suffer from it?

Thanks
Rach:winky:

Joanmarie63 07-26-2009 10:24 AM

Rach,
That is how I found out I was allergic to the meds. Dr. sent me in for a swallowing test/xray and it showed my throat and tongue was actually swollen {and I thought is was the MG making my throat muscle weak} he said the swelling in my throat was triggering the gag reflex. Something to ask your Dr. about.

rach73 07-26-2009 01:50 PM

Thanks for this I see the GP tuesday so I will bring it up with him then.

Just another day in the weird and wacky world that is MG!

Thanks
Rach

maryec 07-26-2009 07:04 PM

Rach,
I do the same thing ! I thought wow, what good reflexes ! lol..... Happens everytime I tough my tongue with the tooth brush, Eyes getting watering , face gets red ! This sensitivity isn't normal?
Mary

erinhermes 07-27-2009 03:55 AM

Hi Rach

Hey there! I was the same way after I had my thymus removed......soooooo, I just gargled for a few weeks and didn't brush @ all - I know TMI - the SMELL of any tooth paste is still too m uch for me sometimes - this has only started AFTER the MG got really bad..........

How are YOU?
Love,
ERin:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rach73 (Post 542540)
Hi

I was wondering if anyone out there suffers from this?

Over the last few days whilst I have been brushing my teeth when I try and brush my tongue my gag reflex kicks in. Im not shoving the tooth brush down the back of my throat Im just touching a little way past the tip of my tongue.

Ive never suffered with anything like this before, does anyone else suffer from it?

Thanks
Rach:winky:

ConnieS 07-27-2009 05:59 AM

Everyday!

Yep, I get them everyday. Lol... Once I brush my tongue, I get that. Everytime the doctor "inspects" my throat, I get that too.

I thought it was normal!! Lol..

Pat 110 07-27-2009 07:14 AM

You can add me to the list. I thought it was normal too! Take care.;)

Hugs,
Pat

rach73 07-27-2009 09:52 AM

Hi Everyone

Thanks for replying to my posts. Im glad to see its not just me who wants to puke everytime they brush their tongue! Its the weirdest thing though. I thought I was becomming a paranoid crazy lady. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Love
Rach

redtail 07-28-2009 03:53 AM

Yep I to have had times when just thinking about brushing my teeth sent my stomach into turmoil, knowing what was comming. Now I don't have too much of a problem, if I do its around that time of the month when I'm feeling atrocious anyway.