NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Sleeping through the pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/9587-sleeping-pain.html)

InHisHands 12-23-2006 01:51 PM

Sleeping through the pain

How do you sleep through the RSD pain? Just wondering, as I have been having trouble sleeping because my arms and shoulders hurt so bad... I am trying melatonin, but as of last night it does not seem to be doing much.:Sigh: Any ideas? Just wondering what anyone else does. TIA!

HeatherAnne 12-23-2006 09:14 PM

I have found no medicine that really works to fall asleep and stay asleep. The biggest thing for me is to get my mind off of it for like a half hour before bed... like watching some tv or reading. I chat to my boyfriend before we go to bed and relax as much as possible... (not saying that is always easy) but it can sometimes work. I will take something like Excerdin PM just to put me sleep if I can't sleep but no matter what I do wake up multiple times a night due to pain. But most of all of my pain mgt resources or now out of medicinal hands. I go without as much medicine as possible except for really bad days or nights...

Key thing is if you can get your pain down or better get your mind off of your pain you will be able to fall asleep :D same thing goes for the day... keeping as busy or as mentally busy as possible the better for me. Keeping my mind off the pain... Hope it helps!

-Heather

allentgamer 12-23-2006 09:37 PM

Biggest complaint

is no SLEEP!!

I know my doctors are TIRED of hearing me say that :D

I hope someday we get some rest!

the insommniac

Allen

artist 12-23-2006 09:58 PM

Hi,

I take zopiclone and find it really good; my main problem is getting to sleep, once I'm asleep I'll usually sleep reasonably OK. Zopiclone goes by several names, US Ambien, UK Immovane, there are others, just look up RX brands. But I need very little of it to bring on the sleepies.

I've also discovered I'm very sensitive to sound and if I have a bad night, wearing soft ear plugs makes a big difference in keeping me asleep. It gives me a sense of being cocooned and for some reason that just does the trick,

all the best!

emilys gramma 12-24-2006 09:52 AM

frank is able to fall asleep

as soon as his head hits the pillow...i get sooo jealous...........he is out within seconds, and i really do mean that........however, he does not stay asleep...the pain wakes him many many times a night, he gets up, takes a pain pill, or goes to the bathroom, gets a drink of water, and then falls right back to sleep........i guess the activity of doing something helps him take his mind off of the pain for a few minutes, then, wham he is out again...............

he has tried many sleep aids, but they only work for a day or two, then ...nothing......

however, when HE gets up, it wakes me up, and i have a terrible time falling asleep.....i lie there for hours before i am able to fall asleep....and this is every night................see why i get so jealous of him??? lafff

neither one of us gets too much sleep.......seems like a vicious circle...........

oh to sleep the whole night long would be heavenly.................ahhhhhhhhh

moonstar 12-24-2006 03:17 PM

meds

for sleeping: i take ambien cr and get at least 2-4 hrs of sleep then wake(due to pain) take more vicoden es and sleep for maybe another hour. if not then i have some xanex and skelaxin...and sit up rocking and crying for awhile till it all kicks in and sleep(sort of in a fog) for maybe another hour if i am lucky...

frogga 12-26-2006 02:11 PM

the worst thing is being stuck in the never never world of no sleep. I seriously feel like a zombie most of the times...

to be able to hit the pillow and sleep would be so awesome!!

I have tried meds but they haven't helped - now have a heated waterbed (at home) and always have the radio/ book on tape as it gives me something to focus on.

the worst thing i find is i can't change position on my own... and cannot get comfortable..

ah well... it just makes me a ratty zombie and people have just got used to it. Oh - with arm and shoulder pain if you can rest your arms on something it can sometimes help - like lying with your arms on pillows etc

take care

Rosie xxxx

InHisHands 01-24-2007 08:00 PM

Wondering if anyone has taken amitriptyline for sleep before? How did it help you?

frogga 01-24-2007 09:42 PM

Took Amytrip

Totally Zombified me.

I will NEVER take it again.

Some people find it helps though.

Rosie xxxxxx

miss irie 01-25-2007 11:47 AM

Hi.

I tried amitriptyline and it really didn't do anything for me. I am now on nortriptyline (25mg x 4) at bedtime. It really does help reduce the pain so that I can sleep through the night. That isn't to say that I don't still have bouts of insomnia, but certainly far fewer than prior to taking this med. You start off slowly and increase the number of 25mg pills until you reach the dosage prescribed by your doctor. I was extremely sleepy in the initial few weeks while my body adjusted to the medication.

Take care,
Miss Irie