NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Diabetes / Insulin Resistance / Metabolic Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/diabetes-insulin-resistance-metabolic-syndrome/)
-   -   Insulin Resistance or diabetic? (https://www.neurotalk.org/diabetes-insulin-resistance-metabolic-syndrome/96901-insulin-resistance-diabetic.html)

Coffeebean 08-08-2009 01:26 PM

Insulin Resistance or diabetic?

I don't know if I have a blood sugar problem or not. I did have gestational diabetes 30 years ago where I had to take an insulin shot during both of my pregnancies. Now, I am in my early 50's and one doctor tells me I am insulin resistant and the other says I have a chronic diabetes problem causing many of my pain issues. I am so confused.

I started seeing a neurologist in January due to some other health problems (RSD, nerve impingements, etc). She requested blood work and when she saw my A1C was 6.4; she said I have diabetic neuropathy issues. However, my internist said I am only insulin resistant. I have been complaining to my neuro doc that my legs, hips and feet hurt and she said it is from diabetes. Can this happen when my A1C is only 6.4? My fasting morning blood sugars will range from 136 to 110, depending on my diet and activity level. I do not check my sugar reading much (I hate the needle and blood stuff) but I found two hours after lunch my BS readings were 264 and 267. I am confused about the numbers. I know when I was pregnant, my blood sugar was over 650, so 267 does not seem high to me.

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Lisa

watsonsh 08-08-2009 08:03 PM

Basedon what you are describing in terms of measure you are certainly insulin resistant and have imparied glucose tolerance. If you arenot diabetic youare likley borderline diabetic.

According to a 2 hour glucose and insulin test the ranges should be...

Glucose
normal - Fasting less than 100; 2 hours after eating less than 140
Diabetes - fasting grater than 126; 2 hours after eating greater than 267

Anywhere bewteen these levels is impaired tolerance.

Have they suggested any meds or changes to your diet?

On the neuropathy front have they tested your B12? I would get that tested before supplemtning to get a baseline and if its low it could be contibuting.

Hope this helps.

Shelley

Dmom3005 08-09-2009 11:14 PM

I am going to say thanks Shelley for the data. I wasn't sure of the numbers.
But knew what she said to be true.

I'm a diabetic, with a AIC of between 6 and 6.5. I'm on metformin think thats how its spelled. And I can sure tell a difference when I take my medicine.

I also wanted to state that I have chronic pain issues, that aren't related to
this. Or they weren't when I started having this new problem. I have fibromyalgia, and some other pain issues.

My pain doctor says the diabetic neuropathy has helped create more pain.
So he has changed one of my pain meds to see if it helps.

Donna

pabb 08-12-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeebean (Post 549229)
I don't know if I have a blood sugar problem or not. I did have gestational diabetes 30 years ago where I had to take an insulin shot during both of my pregnancies. Now, I am in my early 50's and one doctor tells me I am insulin resistant and the other says I have a chronic diabetes problem causing many of my pain issues. I am so confused.

I started seeing a neurologist in January due to some other health problems (RSD, nerve impingements, etc). She requested blood work and when she saw my A1C was 6.4; she said I have diabetic neuropathy issues. However, my internist said I am only insulin resistant. I have been complaining to my neuro doc that my legs, hips and feet hurt and she said it is from diabetes. Can this happen when my A1C is only 6.4? My fasting morning blood sugars will range from 136 to 110, depending on my diet and activity level. I do not check my sugar reading much (I hate the needle and blood stuff) but I found two hours after lunch my BS readings were 264 and 267. I am confused about the numbers. I know when I was pregnant, my blood sugar was over 650, so 267 does not seem high to me.

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Lisa

yup you are diabetic, D/T your insulin resistance.....a A1c of 6.4 is not normal, the range is up to 5.9......and the post prandial of 267 is not even near the ball park.....see a nutritionist and exercise....good luck