NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Occipital Neuralgia and other Cranial Neuralgias (https://www.neurotalk.org/occipital-neuralgia-and-other-cranial-neuralgias/)
-   -   anyone know anything about occipital neuralgia??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/occipital-neuralgia-and-other-cranial-neuralgias/97593-occipital-neuralgia.html)

hayleyk29 08-12-2009 07:31 PM

anyone know anything about occipital neuralgia???

Hi my name is Hayley k, i was wondering if anyone knows about occipital neuralgia? I went to see a neurologist about having a tingling sensation and pain that comes and goes on what feels to be my scalp. She said it was occipital neuralgia and i needed to get an MRI, but i haven't gotten that done yet, my appt is on the 18th. I went to see my primary care doctor today for another reason and mentioned it to her and she said that i should be careful since we don't know if it is serious, so i was wondering how serious can it get? and if it does turn out to be O.N. is there treatment for it? thanks :confused:

charliebubs 08-18-2009 07:17 AM

Hi Hayley

Welcome to the site. :)

Firstly, good luck with the MRI today. They're painless, just very noisy!

I would suggest that you read the posts on here and gather information from other peoples' experiences. We all know about ON and suffer from it daily, but each person is different. We don't all feel pain and symptoms in the same way.

Do you know what caused your tingling sensation/ON?

Mine was caused by a RTA. :(

As for how serious it can get.............it can get bad, but then again, we're all different. For some people it can be completely debilitating, stopping work, sleep and everyday activities. Fortunately I haven't been that bad.

Let us know how you get on after the MRI.

:)

pwgrant 10-14-2009 11:12 AM

ON different treatments

I have been diagnosied with ON in January of this year, I have had 2 different nerve blocks that had limited success, medication that did not help me, and physical therapy that would help for a day at a time.
I have learned that everyone responds to treatment differently,

good luck, keep asking questions,

I am still looking for a solution to my pain.

does any one have other idea's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliebubs (Post 553351)
Hi Hayley

Welcome to the site. :)

Firstly, good luck with the MRI today. They're painless, just very noisy!

I would suggest that you read the posts on here and gather information from other peoples' experiences. We all know about ON and suffer from it daily, but each person is different. We don't all feel pain and symptoms in the same way.

Do you know what caused your tingling sensation/ON?

Mine was caused by a RTA. :(

As for how serious it can get.............it can get bad, but then again, we're all different. For some people it can be completely debilitating, stopping work, sleep and everyday activities. Fortunately I haven't been that bad.

Let us know how you get on after the MRI.

:)

allimcd3 10-22-2009 02:16 PM

PT?

I'm new to this so I've been to the one doctor and that's it. I'm supposed to do PT, accupuncture... I already do massage.

I've been wondering what do they do for it in physical therapy? I can't imagine exercises that would help... and laying down causes me such dizziness and nausea that I can't imagine doing that away from home.

Ice and heat and massage I can take care of from home, what else do they have to offer? The idea of going just makes me a little nervous... I don't trust many people around my neck.

Allison

ewizabeth 10-22-2009 03:13 PM

Welcome to the forum Hayley, PW and Alli! :Wave-Hello:

http://dl8.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...mfgqgzr55s.jpg

Jess78 10-31-2009 01:43 AM

i have occipital neuralgia

i have on that I develpoed after having mvd surgery, it is not fun and if anyone has any suggestions on meds feel free to share!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayleyk29 (Post 551087)
Hi my name is Hayley k, i was wondering if anyone knows about occipital neuralgia? I went to see a neurologist about having a tingling sensation and pain that comes and goes on what feels to be my scalp. She said it was occipital neuralgia and i needed to get an MRI, but i haven't gotten that done yet, my appt is on the 18th. I went to see my primary care doctor today for another reason and mentioned it to her and she said that i should be careful since we don't know if it is serious, so i was wondering how serious can it get? and if it does turn out to be O.N. is there treatment for it? thanks :confused:

Linn 10-31-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allimcd3 (Post 581292)
I'm new to this so I've been to the one doctor and that's it. I'm supposed to do PT, accupuncture... I already do massage.

I've been wondering what do they do for it in physical therapy? I can't imagine exercises that would help... and laying down causes me such dizziness and nausea that I can't imagine doing that away from home.

Ice and heat and massage I can take care of from home, what else do they have to offer? The idea of going just makes me a little nervous... I don't trust many people around my neck.

Allison

Allison,

I had a short bout of ON when I was a teenager, and I have neuro-vascular headaches, etc, now. I went to PT and had biofeedback, and some limited neck traction, and it has all but saved my life! So much of the pain I experienced was the result of my body "guarding" because of the nerve and vascular pain. That actually exacerbates the problem, and causes real damage to your tissues. I had also compressed my spine, from guarding. That's an autonomic/unconscious thing, and biofeedback gave me the ability to learn to control that reaction in my body. It didn't make the pain go away, but it made it MUCH more bearable. :-)

Maybe I was lucky, but the Physical Therapists were very knowledgeable about head and neck and nerve pain, and VERY sensitive, even caring, with their approach. I would suggest letting them know what concerns you, right at the start. Honestly, I think that a good Physical Therapist can know more than a doctor. They notice more, too.

I hope that you find a solution :-).

Linn

draftergirl 02-07-2010 07:04 AM

Has anyone suggested a cervical spinal cord stimulator?