NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Use of contrast in MRI (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/97859-contrast-mri.html)

Freesia38 08-15-2009 07:08 AM

Use of contrast in MRI

Hi,

I asked my neuro if she'll ask for contrast in my next MRI. She gave a long winded explanation as my 4 year old son is whinging at me to leave, so I didn't understand her (and her accent). I think she said "if the tech feels the need to".

so does this mean if they find lesions, they then pull you out of the machine and add the dye to enhance them?
I'm worried I'll be laying there assuming they found lesions and go into panic mode.

Dejibo 08-15-2009 08:22 AM

it means they would add dye even if they find NO lesions. There can be tiny itty bitty lesions that would light up under the dye IF they are in an active phase.

Drink lots of water the day of, and the day after. it can take about 24 hours for your kidneys to excrete what is left of the dye. it will flush out, but can cause a mild headache, or other mild sx. most folks dont notice any change with vs without.

good luck :hug:

NurseNancy 08-15-2009 04:20 PM

i don't about australia but where i live in the states it's the dr that orders with and without dye. it's not up to the tech, it's up to the dr.

you might want to call ahead and ask that question where you will be having your mri. contrast can find some lesions that without it can't. on the other hand, lesions will show up without contrast. if there's active disease contrast can enhance them on the mri.

good luck. let us know how it goes.

Lady 08-15-2009 11:17 PM

Hi,
Is this for the T-Spine? If so, you don't need GAD dye for them to show up. The brain and brainstem-C-Spine, it would be useful.

Lesions show, either way with or without contrast media (GAD). The GAD dye only makes them enhance (show bright) if disease is active in the Brain, brain stem and C-spine.

What is important is that it is a closed MRI machine. Open MRI's don't show the little ones, or sometimes show none when there are some. Also the Tesla of the machine. The strength of the magnets that means. Minimum should be 1.5 T. It says it on the top of the machine the strength, and maker of the machine.

Koala77 08-16-2009 03:01 AM

I'm in Oz and I've had both.... MRI's with and with out the dye. I found it tends to be a state, or specific doctor, or specific hospital practice as to whether they use it or not.
eg.. I didn't get dye in Tas, but I got dye in Brisbane... but I didn't get it in Sydney. And...as far as I know, we don't have open MRI's in Australia.

Freesia38 08-16-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Is this for the T-Spine? If so, you don't need GAD dye for them to show up. The brain and brainstem-C-Spine, it would be useful.
Hi Lady,
Yes, it's for the T-spine.

Judy - thanks -it's not for 2 more weeks, so i'll let you know!

braingonebad 08-16-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesia38 (Post 552403)
Hi Lady,
Yes, it's for the T-spine.

Judy - thanks -it's not for 2 more weeks, so i'll let you know!

My neuro ordered gad for brain and C spine, not for T spine. But the tech called the neuro and asked to add gad. Pulled me out after the no gad shots were done, had me hold still and gave me the dye.

Don't get upset if that does happen. You're there to find out, right? Better to know than go home without answers.

The tech in my case saw something, but it did not show without dye - with, you can see a cyst in my spinal cord. Syringomyelia. I'd rather know.

lady_express_44 08-16-2009 02:11 PM

"MS Spinal cord Protocol

Gadolinium is not necessary when only the spinal cord is examined.
Contrary to the brain there will only rarely be enhancement in the cord.

Only when other diagnoses are considered (e.g. sarcoid) Gd is necessary.

The most diagnostic sequence is the conventional SE PDW, because this is the most sensitive technique.

FLAIR should NOT be used in the spinal cord and will only demonstrate 10% of the lesions."

http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/4556dea65db62

Cherie