NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   This is a new one. Flare or progression? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/97896-flare-progression.html)

poochie 08-15-2009 08:12 PM

This is a new one. Flare or progression?

I haven't had this happen before, I have SPMS, my legs are hurting, my balance is very bad, I have to use the cane more when I walk for a short time, like through Wal-Mart, I just want to sit down and I'm so tired. I have had MS for 13 years and have some paralysis on my R. side.
I always wonder if it is deciding to progress more or is this another attack.
Any answers. I have been taking LDN for 4 years now and it has really helped me. Thanks

SallyC 08-15-2009 09:27 PM

It could be a summer heat flare, Poochie. I've been on LDN almost 7 yrs and I still get those..

Hopefully, it will go away soon..:hug:

braingonebad 08-16-2009 08:25 AM

Do you keep a journal? If you do, you can look back and compare how you were at this time last year. Sally has a good point about the heat. Maybe other things affect you too.

poochie 08-16-2009 09:49 AM

I guess it could be the heat, I'm in Texas, but I try to stay indoors as much as I can. This has been going on about 2 weeks and has gotten slowly worse.

Dejibo 08-16-2009 10:00 AM

I find the increase in heat makes me feel weaker, more off balance, and jelly legs. my brain just says "you need to sit down" and so I dread the summers, but they are short lived here in NH.

A journal is a great idea. After being in the AC all day do you feel better? is it still the same?

A remission is a new or worsening of an old sx that lasts for at least 24 hours with no breaks in sx. if you have periods of feeling better by AC or rest, then its a flair.

hang in there.

poochie 08-16-2009 10:08 AM

I feel better after I rest, like overnight, but the walking isn't better.

lady_express_44 08-16-2009 02:05 PM

They were about to categorize me as SPMS when I first went on LDN, 4+ yrs ago. Since then I have had on attack, which means I am still RRMS. Works for me. :D

Hopefully this is just an attack. Is there ANY possibility you have infection going on; teeth?, UTI?, sinuses? My FIRST indication of an infection is increased MS symptoms, not a typical fever or other infection symptoms ... and if I wait a day or a month, the infection source becomes obvious.

Cherie

Catch 08-16-2009 08:18 PM

PMS, or other hormonal issues going on? PMS wreaks havoc with me. Some months more than others.

notasperfectasyou 08-19-2009 09:11 AM

I thought SPMS meant you didn't get attacks anymore. I don't know anything about LDN, but I do know that Kim got the SPMS change and was put on Copaxone a few years ago and wasn't until she did Novantrone that she saw a reversal of symptoms. Does LDN work like chemotherapy? Ken

SallyC 08-19-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notasperfectasyou (Post 554135)
Does LDN work like chemotherapy? Ken

No, Ken, LowDoseNaltrexone is not a chemo drug, it's a narcotic antagonist. At higher doses ( 50 to 300mg ) it's taken to combat drug and alcohol addiction.

At the low dose ( 1.75 to 5mg ), it is taken to block, only for a short time, the production of endorphines, to then cause an upload of endorphins, in the very early morning, when endorphines are replenishing and increasing themselves.

It has been studied and found that PwMS are very low in endorphins, so, with the increase we get when taking LDN, seems to regulate our IS to not attack our nerve myelin, halt/slow MS progression, give some pain relief, minimise some symptoms eliminate others and genererally, make us feel better.

If you are SPMS, as I am, then, the LDN does not go back and wipe out old permanate nerve damage, but does seem to keep our MS in check, with some symptom improvement and a feeling of well being ( why they call it the feel good drug.:D)