NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Vitamin B12 and dreams (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/97969-vitamin-b12-dreams.html)

Twinkletoes 08-17-2009 12:38 AM

Vitamin B12 and dreams

I bought some of those quick-dissolve sublingual B12 pills to see if they'd increase my energy.

Normally I have vivid dreams due to taking LDN, but the two nights I took the B12's I had very disturbing dreams.

Anyone had anything similar?

pearl girl 08-17-2009 03:52 AM

Hi Rochelle,
Love your kitty and twink name, and sig. You must have a wonderful sense of humor... Well, dreams ... I've been taking large doses of B12 since March and went through a spell of bad dreams ... really dreadful nightmares. But, I must say that I have had bad dreams before so I can't really pin it on sublinguals. For me, hiccups after every meal has become a constant companion since B12 but that's the only thing that I can directly correlate to the supplement.

As for energy, hasn't helped me at all.... Wish it had 'cause I could sure use some !! Good luck. If you find something that really increases your get-up-and-go, please please let me know right away .. I'll buy a truck load... Nancy (pernicious anemia)

stagger 08-17-2009 10:32 AM

Hello,
Along with the B-12 I take the B-Right by Jarrow which is a combination of the B complex vitamins and it does indeed boost my energy levels. I take it in the morning before breakfast.
Lanny

Marty SLC 08-17-2009 02:39 PM

Yes I did but only for a few days and then they went away.

jccgf 08-18-2009 04:07 PM

Vitamin B12 cured my insomnia but I don't remember having extra vivid or disturbing dreams. Well, I take that back. I did start to remember my dreams... which I hadn't in many years. I thought I just didn't dream. While some dreams are entertaining, I guess I actually prefer NOT to remember my dreams.

I suspect I was B6 deficient as well, and I did start supplementing with a B-complex at the same time I started correcting my B12 deficiency.

I know that vitamin B6 deficiency is associated with lack of dream recall, and some suggest increasing your B6 intake until you can remember your dreams.

My daughter's experience seemed to be somewhat opposite. She actually had sleep disturbances, sleep walking (and sleep punching walls.. that might qualify as disturbing.. it was disturbing for ME) when she was B6 deficient... and that all calmed down when we fixed her B6 deficiency.

So.... it seems to me that B vitamins can affect sleep and dreaming... but it seems somewhat variable depending upon the individual.

I have heard not to take B's close to bedtime... because they can keep you from falling asleep. And, I'd recommend doing a B-complex along with mega dose B12, because they need each other in somewhat balanced amounts. I think a B-50ish dose is adequate for B-complex no matter how high you go with B12.

magenta272 08-19-2009 05:56 PM

I have to say, when I started taking the b12, I was having very vivid dreams. Nothing bad... I generally don't have nightmares, haven't since I was a child. But I did have very very vivid dreams. I really do think it was the B12... maybe just the healing process... more activity in the brain? I don't have them anymore... I guess my body got used to it.

alyssa3054 01-27-2010 05:27 PM

I recently started taking b-12 supplements because I was referred to do so to balance my moods. After the first few days of taking this vitamin, I've had terrible nightmares, resulting in waking up in the middle of the night.

Wondering if its from the vitamins?

mrsD 01-27-2010 06:49 PM

People vary in response to B vits.

I found B12 to be very helpful for better sleeping.

I find B6 (or P5P version) to stimulate dreams and dream recall.

I also find folic acid to be quite stimulating for some reason, so I cannot take it every day.

B12 is a cofactor in the manufacture of melatonin. B6 is a cofactor for serotonin synthesis. Folate is involved in minimizing depression. All 3 enter the brain, and work there. How they affect people will vary according to genetics and the situation the person is in.

BlueMajo 01-27-2010 10:38 PM

Yeah, in my case B-complex make me sleep like a baby... I took it in the evenings... and, yeah... I sleep tight and feel just fine during day...

:o

magenta272 05-10-2010 08:25 PM

I actually had the opposite thing happen to me... when my B12 was really low, I had CRAZY dreams. Not nightmares (I haven't had a real nightmare since I was a kid). But my dreams were very vivid, very long. But once I started my treatments, my shots and high doses of sublingle daily, the dreams went back to normal :)