NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Headache (https://www.neurotalk.org/headache/)
-   -   Random scary symptoms (https://www.neurotalk.org/headache/97989-random-scary-symptoms.html)

fragileflower 08-17-2009 10:05 AM

Random scary symptoms

Hello everyone, I found this helpful site today while searching for symptoms I've been having. I really appreciated the concern and help that others have received. Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction.

I get tension headaches about once a week and have all of my adult life. Its normal, I deal with it. I have mild hypoglycemia but not diabetes (I've had this since I was 16 and regulate it very well with diet. Basically, I eat a small snack every 3-4 hours and I'm fine.) I have pretty low blood pressure (110/70 is high for me) and a low basal temp (96.5 F) I drink pleanty of water and take a multivitamin every other day.

But 3.5 weeks ago, I had a migraine. (I've not had migraines since a huge stress episode my sophomore year in college, 7 years ago, I de-stressed by dropping a class and the migraines vanished). I went to my GP who ruled out meningitis and said it's migraines, go home, take some OTC and fill this Rx for Imitrex in case there's another one. I stopped taking my MV b/c I was concerned about drug interactions.

I've had 5 migraines since then (complete with light and sound sensitivity, nausea, and a terrible pain behind my eyes) and have had a low grade throbbing headache behind the eyes between migraines. I have increasingly been experiencing a feeling of lightheadedness in the past 3.5 weeks and have had random bouts of dizziness accompanied by vision constriction in increasing frequency (not associated with sudden movements or standing/sitting up, just random - sometimes while lying down, sitting at my desk, walking down the hall, no pattern).

Any thoughts? Again, not looking for a diagnosis, just looking for some ideas of what it might be and where I should go. I've put a call in to my GP and should be seeing him again in the next few days. Thanks for any guidance anyone can give me.

Peter B 08-19-2009 04:38 AM

Scary symptoms

Off to the doctor ASAP.
Have alook at this, may be helpful-not for me to say, but I'd be worried.

Symptoms of Brain Aneurysms
Ruptured Cerebral Aneurysm Symptoms

Sometimes patients describing "the worst headache in my life" are actually experiencing one of the symptoms of brain aneurysms related to having a rupture. Other ruptured cerebral aneurysm symptoms include:

* Nausea and vomiting
* Stiff neck or neck pain
* Blurred vision or double vision
* Pain above and behind the eye
* Dilated pupils
* Sensitivity to light
* Loss of sensation

Unruptured Cerebral Aneurysm Symptoms

Before an aneurysm ruptures, patients often experience no symptoms of brain aneurysms. In about 40 percent of cases, people with unruptured aneurysms will experience some or all of the following cerebral aneurysm symptoms:

* Peripheral vision deficits
* Thinking or processing problems
* Speech complications
* Perceptual problems
* Sudden changes in behavior
* Loss of balance and coordination
* Decreased concentration
* Short-term memory difficulty
* Fatigue

Because the symptoms of brain aneurysms can also be associated with other medical conditions, diagnostic neuroradiology is regularly used to identify both ruptured and unruptured brain aneurysms.

mrsD 08-24-2009 10:44 AM

It is confusing dealing with headaches like this.

I'd get evaluated by an opthamologist to see if you have any pressures on the optic nerve. There is benign intracranial hypertension(also called pseudotumor cerebri) which affects vision. Also pituitary adenomas are pretty common and in many people don't give many symptoms.
But they can press on the optic nerve, or create pressure within the skull.

A good neurologist who deals with headache alot, may help. There are many forms of headache that people call "migraine" which are really not.

So I agree with Peter... please get some medical help.