NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   having that dreaded sign of a possible flare - is there a way to stop it? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/98220-dreaded-sign-flare-stop.html)

yeahbut 08-18-2009 07:31 AM

having that dreaded sign of a possible flare - is there a way to stop it?

Usually the first sign of me going into a flare is I start "leaking" (sorry guys) and this could be 2 weeks or 2 days before I usually go into a flare. Sunday I rested all day and drank a lot of fluids - did the same thing yesterday and was in bed at 8:15. Today I have to go to class and I would rather stay home. I don't have AC in my car and it is 90+ out there today. YUCK

One more thing - lately I have had a flare about every four months and it is right on track! :mad:

so other than rest and drinking a lot of fluids is there any other way to stop a flare early?

Kitty 08-18-2009 08:27 AM

None that I know of........just try to stay in a cool environment and not get overheated any more than you have to. I just try to sleep my way through them! :o

Hey, the GTG with RW and AMN might just do the trick. Even if it doesn't work 100% it will surely take your mind off of it for a while! :D

Friend2U 08-18-2009 08:31 AM

:hug:Do you have to drive far to your classes? This heat has been a killer for me. The longer I have had this ms, the quicker I give out in heat. It's hard to make it too the car, much less travel someplace too far away.

I have said before, I admire your going to college. I know it is hard under the best of circumstances, much less than doing it with ms.

I hope your flare passes soon.

Dejibo 08-18-2009 08:39 AM

rest and rest and rest and oh yeah, did I mention rest? That can sometimes help you not turn that corner, or recover a bit more quickly.

For the most part, its usually a "hang on" type deal. I have not heard of any tried and true method that is a "one size fits all" fix.

Many of us have little tricks that we use upon ourselves that can be helpful but just like the DMDs we wont know which ones work till we try them.

Hang in there. we are here cheerleading for you! :hug:

tkrik 08-18-2009 09:19 AM

(((YB))) I know that feeling. However, I also get that when I am coming down with something.

I don't know how to stop a flare once it starts. I wish I did. I wonder, since you the beginning of yours are consistent and start the same way, if taking an antiinflammatory would help. Would it help stop the inflammation process before it gets out of hand? My flares don't seem to start the same way. The only consistency would be sleeping more.

Hang in there, rest up, and know that we are here for you.:hug::hug:

ewizabeth 08-18-2009 09:35 AM

Aw Lambchop. :hug: Rest is important, did anyone say that yet? :rolleyes:

I hope it passes quickly. Drink lots of water and get to the potty as soon as you have to go. Sometimes I don't notice when my bladder is full if I'm busy so I try to be more aware. I drove my sister batty on Sunday when we drove home from N. Wisconsin. I stopped exactly every 30 minutes to empty my bladder, lol. :D She can go 8 hours without going. :mad: It just isn't fair.

Anyway, rest and drink lots of water and stay out of the heat. Have fun during the GTG but only rest after that, ok? :hug:

Riverwild 08-18-2009 06:10 PM

I think I told you once that it's been so long I am afraid that when one does start I won't recognize it.

It's always been my opinion that since I was diagnosed, there isn't anything I could do physically to stop a relapse, just to REST and go through it until it was over, communicate with my doctor and follow his advice. I hate steroids, but if I have to take them, I do.

I feel for ya honey. You've had a lot on your plate these last 6 months, and just when you get to the point that things are calming, this comes. Let's pray it's the stupid heat! Come here and jump in the lake and have a huge hug! I'll make you cold drinks, blow up a float and feed you too!

NurseNancy 08-18-2009 06:28 PM

i don't think so char. i'm really sorry.
i hope it isn't. maybe it's just the weather.

call your dr?

AfterMyNap 08-19-2009 08:02 AM

I don't know of anything either, Lambchop... oh, wait, maybe rest?

Also, do your best to keep the stress out of your thoughts, I'd almost swear that when I get upset about signs of an attack, it goes faster and much worse. When I get up there, we'll just take naps and watch the windows. :) :hug:

SandyC 08-19-2009 10:23 AM

I am praying it has a lot to do with the humid weather your having. If Jim is out in that stuff it takes him about a week to start feeling better. It's like once it happens he goes down for the count, it zaps all of his energy. He's tired, sleeps a lot, aches, is weak, etc.

I am sorry you don't have air in your car. I'll send some cool air from this Friday to you and pray it's not a flare. :hug: