Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I made my own Carpet Glider for my Steam Mop

Well, I did it. I made my own carpet glider for my Shark Steam Mop.

Just so you know what the original one from the Shark Steam Mop company looks like, here’s a photo.

Now’s this is what I came up with.. I just took an old Tupperware kind of square plastic thing that I had in my kitchen, I looked online, and saw what the $14.99 one looked like, so I cut this one to fit exactly as the original.

And these two photos show exactly how it looks when you are ready to steam clean your carpet.

So how did I do???

I can fine tune it, but honestly, it does the trick.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-19-2011)

advertisement
Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 PM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

We may have to start calling you Inspector gadget!!!

(he has or makes a gadget for everything!!!)

It looks great and if it does the job... that's even better!!!

Rest in Peace
3/8/90 ~~ 4/2/12
Abbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-19-2011), sugarboo (03-22-2008)
Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Wow! You are a genius! How did it work on the carpet..cleaning wise? (The steamer?)

Taffy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:52 AM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I made a video showing you how it works

Okay, I used it today. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Sorry about the choppy webcam but when I make videos I don't have a camcorder. I use my webcam and I have to hold it, look at the computer screen to make sure I'm recording what I want to record. Sometimes it makes it hard to use. But you can definitely see the product, and I made sure to show you how much steam is releases.

It really does what it's supposed to do. Clean and disinfect the carpet.

Now, does it deep clean, like for example, if you used a Bissel Carpet Cleaner, which sucks all the dirt out into the canister??? No, that's not what this Shark Steam Mop does. The Shark Steam Mop is made for floors. Ceramic Tile, Hardwood, and linoleum. I would not buy this item if you have carpeting throughout your entire house. For that, you would get some deep cleaning carpet thing.

However, when you stick it into the carpet glider, and you use it on the carpet, well your carpet gets re-freshed, it does surface cleaning, and disinfecting. So for me, (I only have the small carpet in the computer room), it is ideal.

So here's the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8HaC3DE7njs

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Melody, What sucks up the steam/wet? I have several rugs.
lor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 PM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Oh, you want to know if the carpet is still wet after I stop using the mop with the glider attachment??

The carpet was not damp, wet or anything. It looked 100% better than before I did it. But as I indicated in my previous post, it does not suck up anything or deep clean anything. My guess is that the steam evaporates, takes out the surface dirt (it was all there on the mop head), and then evaporates it.

Exactly like when I mop the floor and the floor is dried instantly.

I gather that when one uses a deep cleaning Bissell kind of machine that sucks up everything, ....then I gather the carpet would have to take some time to dry.

But that is not what happened today.

I think it just re-freshed my carpet. It really looked a lot better after I steamed it.

I'm doing it again tomorrow. I just want to see what the mop head looks like after I do this a couple of times.

If it's anything like what happens to my ceramic tile floor, well then, LORDY LORDY.

You have no idea what this steam mop does to a ceramic tile floor.

It's like you just installed the floor. That's how clean it gets it.

But it takes some muscle to move this thing around. I'm glad my arthritis didn't kill me the day I used this mop.

I'm right handed, and I HAVE A PRETTY BIG LIVING ROOM KITCHEN AREA, that is all ceramic tile. I thought it was clean before. It gives you a workout. I have to switch hands because I don't want to develop muscles. lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 PM #7
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lor View Post
Melody, What sucks up the steam/wet? I have several rugs.

Wanted to add (and show you), just what happened. Oh by the way, I fine tuned the carpet glider. Now it really looks like the original that is sold on the Shark website.

It's Easter Sunday, and because we have no family, I decided to go over the floors again, and to go into my bedroom (which has wooden floors, and where I have two carpet runners. (I think they are called runners). Long pieces of carpet that I place over the front and sides of my bed, because my bedroom is over the bedroom of two 82 year old people and the floors creak. And when Alan wears the shoe boot thing, well, it sounds like Jack the Giant Killer when he walks on the floor.

So I've been using my Dirt Devil Sweeper on these runners, to pick up any loose stuff (I thought I actually was cleaning it, can you believe that??).

So after yesterdays trial run of cleaning the run in the computer room, I said: "why not see how it cleans the runners in the bedroom".

I did clean the wooden floor underneath also.

I also cleaned my living room floor, but honestly, since I've steamed clean that floor, how dirty can it get right? I mean, we are two people, no animals and no kids running around.

WELL!!!

after I finished steam cleaning the runners in the bedroom, I decided to take a look at the bottom of the mop and see if got any dirt up. I had first gone over them with the Dirt Devil.

I had to take a picture.

Get a load of what this baby picks up off of the runners in my bedroom.

I wouldn't have believed this was possible if I didn't see it for myself.

I heard my neighbors going out into their car, so I ran out with my Shark Mop.

They eyes bugged out of their heads, and they said (this is all in Italian). "Melodia, what is that, oh my god??" and she yells to her son-in-law 'Go and buy me this mop".

I laughed so hard. The funny thing is that this gadget still steams after you pull the plug. Maybe for about a minute or so.

So there I was out in front of my house, on the sidewalk, pumping this mop and showing my neighbors. Oohing and Aahing, they were getting out of their cars and coming over to see.

I bet every italian on my block buys one of these things.

And they didn't even see the carpet thing I made. They just were amazed at what it picked up off of the floor.

These are the people who get down on their hands and knees and using rags, they clean their floors by hand. The OLD FASHIONED WAY.

I told the lady downstairs. Sometimes this week, I'll come down and I'll show you what this thing can do on YOUR floor."

You never saw someone 82 years old, laugh their heads off and chatter away in italian "Francesco, you are getting me this mop".

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 03-19-2011, 03:24 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks

I see that these postings are from years ago, but I just had to say thank you! I wasn't sure about getting one but after such great reviews it's hard to pass up. I have wood laminate floors in my house, tile in the kitchen and bath, and the bedroom is carpeted. I also have three dogs and two rabbits and a messy boyfriend. My biggest problem now is which one to buy!

Tempest7777 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 AM #9

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Any chance you can give the dimensions of the Carpet Glider you created? Be interested in the outer dimensions of the plastic and then the rough dimensions of the cutout portion. thanks.
mboettc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote