advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 AM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Red face For the Women - Bras & MS

This is kind of embarrassing to post this but I know many of you suffer from the Hug like I do. It is a daily thing for me now. I decided to post it in the MS Forum as opposed to the Women's Forum as it really is MS specific. So here goes . . .

As many of you know I am preparing for DD17's HS graduation. This not only entails having to get new or new to me clothes to wear to all the upcoming events but a new bra as well. A good bra can make any shirt look fantastic.

I am was wondering if you found any type (band) that works better for you and/or any brand that works better for you or even if you found a great work around. Quite honestly, I hate wearing a bra as there are days when it irritates the hug so much I have to take it off. (I am this way with pants as well. You should see my bed after I try to get dressed. LOL).

Any advice or tips would be great.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-30-2009, 11:41 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I know what you mean about the hug and a bra irritating it. It drives me insane some days. Luckily, I am home alone most of the day and can lounge around without one.....but I have to wear one if I go out. There's no getting around that!

I have found that a good support or posture bra helps. It does take some getting used to because it is a little constricting but after I get used to it I find it actually helps. I guess it forces me into sitting up straighter. I've found that I can breathe a little better....or at least get a good deep breath.....when I wear one.

Playtex has some really good ones. Here's a website that has some awesome deals and they're really reliable. I order from them quite a bit. Their online address is www.juliasbrashop.com.

Good luck!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (01-22-2010), tkrik (04-30-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Heck, this isn't embarrassing at all!

I don't know if I can help you, but I've been going through the same problem. Clothing has been irritating me. I can't stand anything with a collar, can't wear anything when I sleep, and I absolutely hate bras!

The only type of bra I've been able to stand for short periods is an exercise bra with no hooks and with straps that don't constantly slip down. However, they don't look so hot when you're trying to get dressed up. Maybe you can find something with a built-in bra.

Let us know what you come up with.

azoyizes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tkrik (04-30-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Since I very rarely go out, never wear the dang things. I am barefoot and braless in Ohio..

I wear a comfy bra and slippers, when going out somewhere.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KarenMarie (05-06-2009), tkrik (04-30-2009), Twinkletoes (05-01-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

How about one of those convertible type bras (converts to halter, strapless, backless) that don't have a band around the chest, rather a band around the waist?

( i truly don't have any experience in going braless since I was a kid and one of these wouldn't do anything for me, but my cup runneth over. You may have a different body type and it might work for you. )

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tkrik (04-30-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Kelly - I'll check out that site and see what they have. It is so funny because some days I am fine and have no problem and other days just a slight touch on my ribcage will cause that squeezing can't breath stuff from the hug.

AZ - Isn't that the weirdest feeling? If I didn't know I had MS and sensory issues I would think I was insane. LOL Nothing like putting on some as simple as flip flops and having spasms go from the foot up to the butt. LOL Crazy.

Sally - I am barefoot and braless in AZ. LOL I only wear a bra when I have to go out in public and/or I know someone is coming over. Lord help the person who decides to just drop by unannounced. They sure would be getting a surprise.

RW - Great idea. I'll have to check some out this weekend. I did consider pasties but I am not sure they would work. I have put on weight and my girls finally went through puberty at 43. I now, for the 1st time in my life, have girls that are more "prominent" and don't like it. Back in my thinner days, I didn't need a bra. Band-aids worked just fine.

I have considered getting a bathing suit top as they don't seem to bind as much. But I also have to keep in mind it is going to be HOT, possibly 90's during the graduation (which is at night). Most of the other stuff we have coming up is indoors.
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (04-30-2009), Twinkletoes (05-01-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 PM #7
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

It's not embarrassing at all, it sucks! It's torture! It's all men's fault!

Major rule #1, get fitted. It's the one thing women ignore that is the one thing they NEED to do.

I love the Bali imitation Victoria's Secret underwire. It doesn't have those ultra-padded, bullet-proof cups and the band does not make me feel like I can't breathe. The hug stays with me most of the time and these allow me to move my arms over my head without readjusting the girls every ten minutes.

Do yourself a favor, Trish, and get a few of the same, right ones. Hand wash and hang them after EVERY wear, it will support their support much longer which supports your boob budget.

"Only cheap girls wear cheap bras."
—Mom

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (01-16-2010), Leanz (05-01-2009), SallyC (04-30-2009), tkrik (04-30-2009), Twinkletoes (05-01-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 PM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Great suggestion, AMN! I was thinking of going to VS for a bra and to get fitted. Since my "size" has changed as well as age, it is time to get fitted. I was waiting until I dropped these last 10 lbs but so far over the last year that has not happened.

And to add to you're mom's quote, my mom always said to get the best quality you can afford when it comes to classic styles (clothes, furniture, etc.). This holds true for bras and I did just that up until I stopped working.
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (04-30-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 PM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I wear FRONT closing bras, and if I get too huggy, I unhook the bottom two or three of the hooks. it still holds the girls in place, and allows me a bit of breathing room.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (01-15-2010), tkrik (04-30-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 12:57 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

All you barefoot and braless people, stop bragging!

Where's a jealousy emoticon when you need one?
Bearygood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (04-30-2009)