Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > >

Don't start your claim unprepared!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
Mycah
Junior Member
 
Mycah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Migraine View Post
When you left your message did you also leave your claim number? Claim numbers are what identifies you to the claims examiner....

...Each level I had different claim examiners.

...The reason is that when you are represented by an attorney, the claims examiner will not discuss your case PER YOUR ATTORNEY's INSTRUCTIONS.
No, I did not leave my claim number as he never requested that information during our conversations, just my name. I had only one claim examiner.

I am not represented by an attorney.
Mycah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #32
Rickey
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 125
My Mood: Don't start your claim unprepared!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimking View Post
I think, at least I was told when my wife applied for SSDI, when you apply for SSDI you also apply for SSI at the same time. My understanding is this is the procedure. My wife did not qualify for SSI because of too many assets etc. The payback part is SSI comes from the general fund not the SS fund, so that is why they're moneys to be paid back. I guess the logic is if you qualify for SSI, which I guess is similar to welfare because one does not have much in assets, you will when you receive SSDI.
They never even mentioned it to me at all, whether I qualified or not. I still don't understand it. I was denied on my initial claim for SSDI but I have appealed. I hope they don't surprise me with SSI cause even though I could definitely use the money, I just don't understand it well enough to go along with it.
__________________

Best of luck
Don't let life’s ups and downs get you down.
Get on one of the ups and hang on like a big dog!!!!
Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #33
Jimking
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj1959 View Post
They never even mentioned it to me at all, whether I qualified or not. I still don't understand it. I was denied on my initial claim for SSDI but I have appealed. I hope they don't surprise me with SSI cause even though I could definitely use the money, I just don't understand it well enough to go along with it.
I can almost swear when you apply for SSDI you also apply for SSI at the same. SSDI takes work and patients to receive but SSI qualifications are pretty quick to receive or not (not qualified). SSI is federal aid SSDI is credit you earned and paid for. I would think it would be a federal issue not a State issue. If I were you I would call SS and ask them about SSI and check to see if you applied for SSI back when you did the paperwork for SSDI. As far as rejections for SSDI that shouldn't effect SSI or the other way around because they are on two different tracks.
Jimking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #34
echoes long ago
Senior Member
 
echoes long ago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 1,443
My Mood: Don't start your claim unprepared!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj1959 View Post
They never even mentioned it to me at all, whether I qualified or not. I still don't understand it. I was denied on my initial claim for SSDI but I have appealed. I hope they don't surprise me with SSI cause even though I could definitely use the money, I just don't understand it well enough to go along with it.
They usually have you file for both ssdi and ssi when you first file. i wont say always because there are people here that are waiting to jump on anything you say and as im sure you have learned in life nothing is absolute. The reason to get the SSI money and then have to pay it back is because you may not qualify for ssdi after they check the non medical qualifications, but they is usually done very early. Also many people as you know are losing their homes, cant afford medicine etc so even if you have to pay back that money at least you have it if you are qualified for it.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #35
Rickey
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 125
My Mood: Don't start your claim unprepared!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
They usually have you file for both ssdi and ssi when you first file. i wont say always because there are people here that are waiting to jump on anything you say and as im sure you have learned in life nothing is absolute. The reason to get the SSI money and then have to pay it back is because you may not qualify for ssdi after they check the non medical qualifications, but they is usually done very early. Also many people as you know are losing their homes, cant afford medicine etc so even if you have to pay back that money at least you have it if you are qualified for it.
I guess I didn't qualify so they didn't ask me. Don't get me wrong, I could definitely use the money. Just got another light bill with the "final disconnect notice" on it. I'm hoping I can talk them in to giving me the six or seven days left in this month until my VA check comes in. I think there is 31 days in January.
__________________

Best of luck
Don't let life’s ups and downs get you down.
Get on one of the ups and hang on like a big dog!!!!
Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #36
gramE
Member
 
gramE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NorthCentral Indiana
Posts: 262
Confused

We didn't qualify for ssi because my husband receives a small stipend from his union and has a part time job. I not fed that on my app but they considered and rejected it. I got a call from my examiner but was having a serious head under the covers day. I don't remember a lot about my answers. Probably the reason I have to have an evaluation from the psychologist... I just hope I'm not required to walk a long distance to get to the exam room.

Thanks
Pat
gramE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #37
gramE
Member
 
gramE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NorthCentral Indiana
Posts: 262
Default

What is a mental examine?y
gramE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #38
Rickey
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 125
My Mood: Don't start your claim unprepared!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramE View Post
What is a mental examine?y
I'm no expert, but I would think it would be a psychological evaluation.
I could be wrong.
__________________

Best of luck
Don't let life’s ups and downs get you down.
Get on one of the ups and hang on like a big dog!!!!
Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #39
rbwalton
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 57
Default

Agreed, this is extremely important. That was something my claim reviewing doctor stressed to me in my exam. One of his key questions was like this; ' Forget about all the doctor opinions you have heard about your case so far. I don't care about those right now. How does your disability impact you in your every day life?'


Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
My biggest tip is describing your 'average' day to them......not your best functioning day but don't overdramatize saying you can't do anything if sometimes you can.
rbwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #40
lawtcrav
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Lightbulb Bipola, osteo arthritis AND DLA

I have osteo arthritis (OA) in my hips, knees, ankles, lower cack and cervical spine. I have been offered a full knee replacement but refused. I am in constant pain and on most days I walk very awkwardly. However, when I manic I can overcome the pain or should I say disregard it. Unfortunately I pay the price when I get down. Usually it warrants a week in the house with a very low mood and aching body.
Has anyone else experienced this which one could say it mimics "mind over matter"
lawtcrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD and new W/C claim DiMarie Social Security Disability 5 01-21-2012 12:05 AM
First claim at Appeals Council and won second claim at initial stage mj1958 Social Security Disability 6 04-16-2011 03:47 PM
Don't start your claim unprepared!!! Rickey Social Security Disability 38 02-21-2011 07:04 PM
I've been told i cant claim against employers..... TraceyW Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 10 06-05-2008 04:15 PM
claim denied of course momzpeachy Layoffs, Unemployment and Worker's Compensation 5 03-21-2007 05:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych CentralMental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors • Community GuidelinesTerms of UsePrivacy Policy