Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > >

When applying online-take note

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
ewizabeth
Elder
 
ewizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: northern Illinois
Posts: 5,234
My Mood: When applying online-take note
Exclamation When applying online-take note

I started my SSDI application in December 2016 but finished it in February before submitting it. I kept going back in and it said "processing". Today I decided to call my local SS office. The person I spoke to said it had been approved (!) but she wasn't sure why there had not been any payments yet. So she put me on hold a couple of times, said she was emailing the person who worked on it and said I should get a letter in 7-10 business days. It was approved effective Dec. 2016. So if you are waiting, and checking online, CALL THEM! I have been worrying about this for months, and running low on money in my checking account. I won't be making that much but it will certainly help, and it will only be 6-7 months of back pay. I feel like a weight is off my chest today.
__________________
Wiz

Turn Left at the next election.
.


RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09

.


.

Video presentation of Rocky & Daisy
.
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
davOD (06-07-2017), echoes long ago (06-06-2017), Jo*mar (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
echoes long ago
Senior Member
 
echoes long ago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 1,422
My Mood: When applying online-take note
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
I started my SSDI application in December 2016 but finished it in February before submitting it. I kept going back in and it said "processing". Today I decided to call my local SS office. The person I spoke to said it had been approved (!) but she wasn't sure why there had not been any payments yet. So she put me on hold a couple of times, said she was emailing the person who worked on it and said I should get a letter in 7-10 business days. It was approved effective Dec. 2016. So if you are waiting, and checking online, CALL THEM! I have been worrying about this for months, and running low on money in my checking account. I won't be making that much but it will certainly help, and it will only be 6-7 months of back pay. I feel like a weight is off my chest today.

congratulations!
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (06-06-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
ewizabeth
Elder
 
ewizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: northern Illinois
Posts: 5,234
My Mood: When applying online-take note
Default

I'm cautiously optimistic but still a bit nervous until I get that letter in the mail.
__________________
Wiz

Turn Left at the next election.
.


RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09

.


.

Video presentation of Rocky & Daisy
.
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
davOD
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: AZ.
Posts: 196
My Mood: When applying online-take note
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic but still a bit nervous until I get that letter in the mail.
Any of us who have gone through this totally understand your feelings...

Lets hope you hear something very, very soon!
davOD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
echoes long ago
Senior Member
 
echoes long ago's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Posts: 1,422
My Mood: When applying online-take note
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davOD View Post
Any of us who have gone through this totally understand your feelings...

Lets hope you hear something very, very soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic but still a bit nervous until I get that letter in the mail.
totally understandable and i dont blame you!
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (06-13-2017)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
ewizabeth
Elder
 
ewizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: northern Illinois
Posts: 5,234
My Mood: When applying online-take note
Default

I was finally approved in January and received my backpay about a week afterward. My benefits started as of April 2017 even though my date of disability was October 2016.

They automatically sent my disability attorney the 25% of the backpay. That was a pleasant surprise because I assumed I would have to pay them out of the amount deposited in my account.

They gave me to cost of living adjustment on the back pay.

I'm trying to figure out when I'll be eligible for medicare, on the start of benefits date anniversary or the date of disability? I'm thinking it will be April 2019 according to the pamphlet they sent me.
__________________
Wiz

Turn Left at the next election.
.


RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09

.


.

Video presentation of Rocky & Daisy
.
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (02-19-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
LIT LOVE
Magnate
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
I was finally approved in January and received my backpay about a week afterward. My benefits started as of April 2017 even though my date of disability was October 2016.

They automatically sent my disability attorney the 25% of the backpay. That was a pleasant surprise because I assumed I would have to pay them out of the amount deposited in my account.

They gave me to cost of living adjustment on the back pay.

I'm trying to figure out when I'll be eligible for medicare, on the start of benefits date anniversary or the date of disability? I'm thinking it will be April 2019 according to the pamphlet they sent me.
Medicare eligibility begins 24 months after SSDI benefits begin. Although your Established Onset Date was 10/16, there is a 5 month waiting period and then benefits are paid the following month, therefore your first month of SSDI payment was 4/17. I believe your Medicare benefit eligibility should begin in 3/19.

If you can afford a Medigap policy and Part D policy that is often preferred, but some states have good Advantage plans and they tend to be more economical. You may also qualify for extra help. The "Find someone to talk to" link option on this link will direct you a free SHIP counselor:
Supplements & other insurance | Medicare.gov
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (02-20-2018)
Reply

Tags
approved, call, checking, months, person

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applying for SSI-Any tips? JBuckl Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome 11 05-25-2016 08:01 AM
Applying for SSDI Catch Multiple Sclerosis 3 09-24-2011 01:50 AM
Hi everyone, applying for SSDI Joegoog23 New Member Introductions 2 08-12-2010 01:02 AM
applying Motors Mommy Social Security Disability 6 08-19-2008 07:35 PM
found this note online from a freelance journalist? lou_lou Parkinson's Disease 3 09-29-2006 02:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.


Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy