Go Back   NeuroTalk Support Groups > >

Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

Spinal stenosis..... What does my MRI mean?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
swy05
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4
Default Spinal stenosis..... What does my MRI mean?

Had an MRI done on my cervical area. Haven't been to the doctor yet but was wondering what my MRI report means?

I've been contemplating getting surgery due to the pain, numbness and burning I'm getting in my arms and foot.

Results:

No cord signal abnormality is appreciated. The cervical vertebrae are normally aligned. The normal cervical lordosis is straightened. The intervetebral disks are midly desiccated. The disk heights are preserved. Marrow signal is unremarkable. There is mild left facet joint hypertrophy at all cervical levels.

Impression:

1. Small disk protrusions/herniations at c4-5, c6-7, and t2-3 without spinal stenosis or cord impingement.
2. Left paracentral disk protrusion/herniation causing mild spinal stenosis and cord impingement at c5-6.
3. Moderate narrowing of the left neural foramina at c5-6 and c6-7.
4. Mild left facet arthropathy at c7-t1.
5. Straightening of the normal cervical lordosis, which may be related to positioning or muscle spasm.

Really wondering if my results are severe enough to warrant surgery.
swy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
cath1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swy05 View Post
Had an MRI done on my cervical area. Haven't been to the doctor yet but was wondering what my MRI report means?

I've been contemplating getting surgery due to the pain, numbness and burning I'm getting in my arms and foot.

Results:

No cord signal abnormality is appreciated. The cervical vertebrae are normally aligned. The normal cervical lordosis is straightened. The intervetebral disks are midly desiccated. The disk heights are preserved. Marrow signal is unremarkable. There is mild left facet joint hypertrophy at all cervical levels.

Impression:

1. Small disk protrusions/herniations at c4-5, c6-7, and t2-3 without spinal stenosis or cord impingement.
2. Left paracentral disk protrusion/herniation causing mild spinal stenosis and cord impingement at c5-6.
3. Moderate narrowing of the left neural foramina at c5-6 and c6-7.
4. Mild left facet arthropathy at c7-t1.
5. Straightening of the normal cervical lordosis, which may be related to positioning or muscle spasm.

Really wondering if my results are severe enough to warrant surgery.
Hi there,

I read your other post and then this one, and although I'm by no means an expert on reading your MRI, I do have first hand experience to how you are feeling, how frustrating it is to understand it all, and how tiring and depressing the chronic pain is to handle. Please hang in there, try to stay as positive as you can, a good attitude really helps you feel better.

I have DDD which was complicated by repetive strain injury, and had 5 disc herniations in my C spine before having an ACDF on C5, C6 & C7 on March 2 of this year. I have a titanium plate and 6 screws w/ cadaver bone. My surgery went well, no complications really, but it did NOT solve my pain or issues with nerve damage. I still have a lot of pain in my cervical spine, I still have numbness in my fingers, I still have a lot of pain in my traps, shoulders and down my arms. The surgery did help with my neck, I was to the point that I couldn't move very much without being in complete agony, and my range of motion is a bit better now. I'm glad I had the surgery. But surgery will not cure you of your pain. I also made sure I exhausted ALL options before I had the surgery, and you should too.

Your MRI only shows "mild" narrowing and "small" disc protrusions, so in my opinion you should wait as long as possible before having surgery. Get many opinions and learn everything you can. The surgery is rough, the recovery is very long (I'm still off work and it's been 5 months) and once they go into your neck they disrupt nerves and muscles and really aggravate everything in your neck. Don't rush into anything.

Be careful with the pushups, find a good physiotherapist that can help you with posture and make sure you don't overdo it with free weights if you are going to the gym a lot. Take care of your body, be kind to your neck.

Try ice packs and heating pads, I alternate them, also, biofreeze can offer a bit of relief when trying to get comfortable to sleep at night. I have a hard time with the pain in my hands also when sleeping, and biofreeze helps a bit. Light massages help a bit, and if you really want to work out try doing it in a pool, much kinder on your neck and it relieves some of the pressure off the nerves.

I hope you find some answers you are looking for. This is a great forum, there are lots of others who can offer great tips, words of wisdom and support.

Take care and keep us posted on what the dr says.
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
swy05
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath1 View Post
Hi there,

I read your other post and then this one, and although I'm by no means an expert on reading your MRI, I do have first hand experience to how you are feeling, how frustrating it is to understand it all, and how tiring and depressing the chronic pain is to handle. Please hang in there, try to stay as positive as you can, a good attitude really helps you feel better.

I have DDD which was complicated by repetive strain injury, and had 5 disc herniations in my C spine before having an ACDF on C5, C6 & C7 on March 2 of this year. I have a titanium plate and 6 screws w/ cadaver bone. My surgery went well, no complications really, but it did NOT solve my pain or issues with nerve damage. I still have a lot of pain in my cervical spine, I still have numbness in my fingers, I still have a lot of pain in my traps, shoulders and down my arms. The surgery did help with my neck, I was to the point that I couldn't move very much without being in complete agony, and my range of motion is a bit better now. I'm glad I had the surgery. But surgery will not cure you of your pain. I also made sure I exhausted ALL options before I had the surgery, and you should too.

Your MRI only shows "mild" narrowing and "small" disc protrusions, so in my opinion you should wait as long as possible before having surgery. Get many opinions and learn everything you can. The surgery is rough, the recovery is very long (I'm still off work and it's been 5 months) and once they go into your neck they disrupt nerves and muscles and really aggravate everything in your neck. Don't rush into anything.

Be careful with the pushups, find a good physiotherapist that can help you with posture and make sure you don't overdo it with free weights if you are going to the gym a lot. Take care of your body, be kind to your neck.

Try ice packs and heating pads, I alternate them, also, biofreeze can offer a bit of relief when trying to get comfortable to sleep at night. I have a hard time with the pain in my hands also when sleeping, and biofreeze helps a bit. Light massages help a bit, and if you really want to work out try doing it in a pool, much kinder on your neck and it relieves some of the pressure off the nerves.

I hope you find some answers you are looking for. This is a great forum, there are lots of others who can offer great tips, words of wisdom and support.

Take care and keep us posted on what the dr says.
Cathie
Thx for your reply.

People keep telling me to consider surgery as an absolute last choice.

I'm considering giving physical therapy and an epidural injection again.

I've stopped doing pushups. Just feel the risks outweigh the benefits.
swy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
talk0neuros
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 13
My Mood: Spinal stenosis..... What does my MRI mean?
Default How are you doing now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swy05 View Post
Thx for your reply.

People keep telling me to consider surgery as an absolute last choice.

I'm considering giving physical therapy and an epidural injection again.

I've stopped doing pushups. Just feel the risks outweigh the benefits.
Love to hear an update.
talk0neuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #5
caroline2
Magnate
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,127
Default

Surgery is so so so risky, and one knows what they deal with NOW, but after it could be lots worse. And surgery can't be undone. Live with as best one can, do other protocols, stretch, look into Prolotherapy and PRP/Stem Cells...there is a lot to consider.
__________________
OA onset at 18, now 79. Fibro onset at 61, Hip Replacement "mess" 72 (nerve damage, IT band damage, shorter leg). Otherwise, pretty good health.

Most important supplement: grape seed extract
caroline2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi - Looking for info on spinal stenosis catchfish New Member Introductions 4 02-25-2008 09:33 AM
cervical spinal stenosis ermine New Member Introductions 5 02-20-2008 02:13 PM
Spinal Stenosis Question.... Megan Peripheral Neuropathy 11 11-25-2007 01:50 AM
Spinal stenosis and also myelomalacia carousel Spinal Disorders & Back Pain 3 08-14-2007 03:37 PM
new spinal stenosis option--esp'ly Jakatak LizaJane Peripheral Neuropathy 7 06-14-2007 02:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.
Brought to you by the fine folks who publish mental health and psychology information at Psych Central Mental Health Forums

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Home - Top

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

All posts copyright their original authors Community Guidelines Terms of Use Privacy Policy