Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).


advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM #1
goale48 goale48 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
10 yr Member
goale48 goale48 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
10 yr Member
Confused Neuro Psychologist??

Hi there its been a while since I posted - but out of the blue I have a Neuro psychologist - independant examination - in the next week --just wondered if anyone could shed lite on what goes on in this appt - the ins. co. tells me it will last 2 -3 hrs -- thanks so much
and regards
goale48 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 AM #2
roadrunner63 roadrunner63 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 241
10 yr Member
roadrunner63 roadrunner63 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 241
10 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goale48 View Post
Hi there its been a while since I posted - but out of the blue I have a Neuro psychologist - independant examination - in the next week --just wondered if anyone could shed lite on what goes on in this appt - the ins. co. tells me it will last 2 -3 hrs -- thanks so much
and regards
A series of tests. Sit down, answer questions, follow instructions. Tests memory, cognitive functions, verbal functions, visual functions, attention/concentration, and more.

Mine, in October, was 5 hours. I am scheduled for another in April which will only be 2-3 hours. (Covering the areas in which I was deficient.)

My boyfriend drove. I was so mentally exhausted after the test it would not have been safe for me to drive. In fact I was down (very tired) for 2 days after.
roadrunner63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 AM #3
Mark in Idaho Mark in Idaho is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere near here
Posts: 11,045
10 yr Member
Mark in Idaho Mark in Idaho is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere near here
Posts: 11,045
My Mood: Neuro Psychologist??
10 yr Member
Default

roadrunner's experience is common. The Neuro Psychological Assessment is designed to push your functioning to its limits. There is no way to prepare for it. Just show up and try your best. Do no try to beat the tests. The best result will be if you just respond as your brain will let you.

Been there, done that three times.

Not a big deal to worry about.

My best to you.
__________________
Mark in Idaho

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM #4
goale48 goale48 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
10 yr Member
goale48 goale48 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
10 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
roadrunner's experience is common. The Neuro Psychological Assessment is designed to push your functioning to its limits. There is no way to prepare for it. Just show up and try your best. Do no try to beat the tests. The best result will be if you just respond as your brain will let you.

Been there, done that three times.

Not a big deal to worry about.

My best to you.
I just had my exam and it was quite different than described there were two quizzes on pain management and maybe 15 direct questions by the assessor and it was suggested that i go to a pain management clinic and that will be in the report to the ins co. - no more chiropractors - so I dont know what to think now - any ideas???

Thanks a million
goale48 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM #5
Mark in Idaho Mark in Idaho is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere near here
Posts: 11,045
10 yr Member
Mark in Idaho Mark in Idaho is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere near here
Posts: 11,045
My Mood: Neuro Psychologist??
10 yr Member
Default

Sounds like you got mislead. You did not have a neuro-psych assessment.

Sounds like a review to determine how much the insurance company is going to push you to settle. Do you have legal representation? With an insurance company like that, you need an attorney.

Sounds like when the insurance company sent me to be examined by a neurologist. The neuro didn't even do a MMSE (Mini Mental State Exam). The minimal neurological exam he did was more about ambulatory function. He did nothing to assess my PCS symptoms and ability to return to work without restriction. My complaint had been about my cognitive struggles, etc.
__________________
Mark in Idaho

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:14 AM #6
goale48 goale48 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
10 yr Member
goale48 goale48 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
10 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Sounds like you got mislead. You did not have a neuro-psych assessment.

Sounds like a review to determine how much the insurance company is going to push you to settle. Do you have legal representation? With an insurance company like that, you need an attorney.

Sounds like when the insurance company sent me to be examined by a neurologist. The neuro didn't even do a MMSE (Mini Mental State Exam). The minimal neurological exam he did was more about ambulatory function. He did nothing to assess my PCS symptoms and ability to return to work without restriction. My complaint had been about my cognitive struggles, etc.
Thanks Mark - I do feel mis lead - like them telling me my rehab is no good and that I need better care --- what type of pressures will they put on me ??
goale48 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Neuro in MA heidih210 Multiple Sclerosis 1 08-11-2009 08:22 AM
Going to new Neuro should I mention the old neuro???? whirlwind123 Myasthenia Gravis 5 08-05-2009 06:33 PM
World-Class Neuro Center Opens: Georgia Neuro Center Stitcher Parkinson's Disease 0 05-16-2007 08:01 PM
HELP what should i ask my neuro sanfordsg ALS 0 01-14-2007 06:32 PM
Difference between neuro psychologist and newbie General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders 26 10-17-2006 08:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

NeuroTalk Forums

Helping support those with neurological and related conditions.

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only,
and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider.


Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.