Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).


advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 10:35 PM #1
SilenceIsSacred SilenceIsSacred is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
3 yr Member
SilenceIsSacred SilenceIsSacred is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
3 yr Member
Confused Does This Look Like A Normal (Negative) MRI Result?

I was told that my MRI was negative, but I am starting to wonder if there is some mix up. Are there any people with any of this sort of expertise on here?

First off, I am wondering about the big white dot in the middle of the interhemispheric fissure. Alien implant? There is a smaller one right next to it. It looks like a ball of metal.

There is also one white dot in the middle of the brain, one below that on the left, and two on the right. They look irregular, like white matter lesions.

Next off it looks like the spaces between the two gyri of the brain is huge. Does this indicate degeneration? I have read a recent study that says a LOT of degeneration can occur here and people can lose 10-20% of their gray matter. The article title is: (can't post links yet)

Brain MRI shows lingering effects of concussion
By Wayne Forrest

This is the one that is scaring the crap out of me. But I don't know how to interpret these scans.

I have included my MRI image along with the image from the study showing reduced blood flow and corresponding gray matter loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Does This Look Like A Normal (Negative) MRI Result?-klemp-brain-scan-jpg   Does This Look Like A Normal (Negative) MRI Result?-2016_07_21_15_21_46_372_2016_07_22_mri_brain_concussion-jpg  

Last edited by SilenceIsSacred; 07-27-2017 at 10:52 PM.
SilenceIsSacred is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 AM #2
Mark in Idaho Mark in Idaho is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere near here
Posts: 11,179
10 yr Member
Mark in Idaho Mark in Idaho is offline
Legendary
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somewhere near here
Posts: 11,179
My Mood: Does This Look Like A Normal (Negative) MRI Result?
10 yr Member
Default

SIS,

What makes you think you can interpret these scans ? Radiologists train for years to understand them. Many imaging clinics send the images to special MRI reading centers where specialists read them because the local radiologists do not have the skills.

If the report says Negative, that is what the scan means.

MRIs are know to cause anxiety as the images can show unidentifiable differences. Nobody's MRIs look the same. That is why they do large cohort studies to look for trends.

Why does the MRI scare you ?
__________________
Mark in Idaho

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:54 AM #3
brandnewconcussion brandnewconcussion is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
3 yr Member
brandnewconcussion brandnewconcussion is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
3 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceIsSacred View Post
I was told that my MRI was negative, but I am starting to wonder if there is some mix up. Are there any people with any of this sort of expertise on here?

First off, I am wondering about the big white dot in the middle of the interhemispheric fissure. Alien implant? There is a smaller one right next to it. It looks like a ball of metal.

There is also one white dot in the middle of the brain, one below that on the left, and two on the right. They look irregular, like white matter lesions.

Next off it looks like the spaces between the two gyri of the brain is huge. Does this indicate degeneration? I have read a recent study that says a LOT of degeneration can occur here and people can lose 10-20% of their gray matter. The article title is: (can't post links yet)

Brain MRI shows lingering effects of concussion
By Wayne Forrest

This is the one that is scaring the crap out of me. But I don't know how to interpret these scans.

I have included my MRI image along with the image from the study showing reduced blood flow and corresponding gray matter loss.
I have something to tell you that might scare you more.

Even if your MRI completely normal (as most of us are), you can still suffer for debilitating symptoms for a very long time.
brandnewconcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 AM #4
SilenceIsSacred SilenceIsSacred is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
3 yr Member
SilenceIsSacred SilenceIsSacred is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
3 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
SIS,

What makes you think you can interpret these scans ? Radiologists train for years to understand them. Many imaging clinics send the images to special MRI reading centers where specialists read them because the local radiologists do not have the skills.

If the report says Negative, that is what the scan means.

MRIs are know to cause anxiety as the images can show unidentifiable differences. Nobody's MRIs look the same. That is why they do large cohort studies to look for trends.

Why does the MRI scare you ?
I just said: the fissure between the two lobes of the brain looks like it is showing gray matter atrophy similar to that in the study image I included as an attachment. The other dots I just don't know what they are. But the lack of mass between the two lobes seems apparent, even though it could be a natural variation.
SilenceIsSacred is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:15 AM #5
brandnewconcussion brandnewconcussion is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
3 yr Member
brandnewconcussion brandnewconcussion is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
3 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceIsSacred View Post
I just said: the fissure between the two lobes of the brain looks like it is showing gray matter atrophy similar to that in the study image I included as an attachment. The other dots I just don't know what they are. But the lack of mass between the two lobes seems apparent, even though it could be a natural variation.
But the question is, why are you fixated on the MRI? If you feel symptoms, you are damaged. If you don't you are not. So why bother?
brandnewconcussion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brain, degeneration, middle, mri, negative

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Negative EMG, Negative AChR, but mestinon works winic1 Myasthenia Gravis 0 01-13-2017 05:28 PM
Result of Skin Biopsy is Negative Idiopathic PN Peripheral Neuropathy 37 02-13-2013 08:01 AM
Normal-negative EEG, yet having seizures? untilthebell Epilepsy 2 09-10-2011 08:46 AM
Normal EMG and Normal Skin Biopsy means... filipe Peripheral Neuropathy 17 12-13-2009 10:45 AM
MRI result kening Spinal Disorders & Back Pain 3 06-02-2008 05:42 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

NeuroTalk Forums

Helping support those with neurological and related conditions.

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only,
and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
provided by a qualified health care provider.


Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.