Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Surgery went well

Hello all. I had my ACDF C4/5 & C5/6 on Monday. All went well. Now it's just a matter of learning how to sleep in this Miami J collar again. ugh. I have to say I am impressed with my Surgeon. He explained every step along the way and I feel I am going to have a great outcome. He did remove the previous plates I had at C3/4 and C6/7 and then put bone grafts and plates C4 through C6. Swallowing is already getting better and Pain is controlled with Percocet and Valium for muscle spasms. I'll post more as I go along. Just wanted to let you all know it went well. Take care. Tim

__________________________________________________ ______
Removal of plates at C3/4 and C6/7 and new ACDF C4 - C6 with bone graphs and plates. 3/22/10. ACDF C3/4 w/graph/hardware (2000), ACDF C6/7 w/graph/hardware (2004)

advertisement
Old 03-27-2010, 10:55 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Day 5 Post Op ACDF Revision Surgery. All is still going well. Swallowing is normal, back on normal diet. Baby Powder under Miami-J collar works wonders. Walking more and more, it's just good to get outside in the Sunshine. Tried to ease up on the Pain meds, BIG MISTAKE, back to taking them every 4 hours even if I think I don't need them. Keeps from having to catch up to control the pain. Not taking the Valium as much. Mainly for sleeping and the occasional spasms. No Arm Pain just post surgery pain which I can tell is getting better. Still have 5 weeks to go in Collar, and I am really looking forward to getting this thing off. Now I know how those poor dogs feel with lamp shades on thier heads Hope you all are doing well. I will post more as I go along. Feel free to ask any questions if you have a upcoming surgery or just want to share your experiences. Take care, Tim
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 AM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

So happy for you that your surgery went well and that you are recovering nicely.

Now you know how the poor doggies feel with those "lampshades on their heads", hehehe!

Please keep us posted as you continue to recover.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Day 10 Post of ACDF revision surgery

Day 10 everything is still going well. Off the Morphine completely and starting to cut back the Percocet and only take the valium for muscle spasms which is happening less freq. No arm/shoulder pain/numbness. Neck still sore from surgery, but other than that everything is going well. Sleeping in recliner for Miami-J collar and have to say it is bothering me more than my neck. lol. Thanks for all your support and hope everyone is doing well. Take care.

Tim
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Crazy s/p ACDF C4-7

ACDF with ischial bone graft C5-6 1997, ACDF with hardware and ischial bone graft C6-7 2006, removal of hardware C6-7, ACDF C4-5 with synthetic BMP, new hardware C4-C7 4/1/2010.
6 days post op and my neck swelling has increased. I have tried, and failed, cutting back on narcotics. Diphenhydramine seems to help with swelling. I can swallow, but with great difficulty, and I need to whisper to talk.
This surgery was more involved than the last two, but the healing process seems to be out of proportion. By one week post op, I was already back down to regular hydrocodone/APAP 5/500 every 4-6 hrs. I am currently taking hydrocodone 10/325 X 1-2 every 4 hrs. Plus zanaflex and xanax. I don't eat much because of the swallowing issue, and I haven't been able to obtain liquid vitamins yet (didn't know it would be an issue). Water, water, water and sleep, sleep , sleep has been my recovery schedule thus far.
My surgeon does not want me to wear a neck brace. Anyone else have the same issues? How much longer to turn the corner?
Any thoughts on how I can speed this up? I am a nurse. My first f/u appt is in a week.
RockyMountainRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Tim ~ It's so good to hear that your surgery went so well!! Gosh I like to hear news like this! How much longer will you have to use the Miami J collar? And how long do you think you'll have to sleep in the recliner?

Thanks for updating us periodically. It's undoubtedly helpful for others to see your progress. I know I appreciate it, just in case I have to eventually go thru this. ick.

Thanks again, and hope you continue to make great progress. Peace, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote