advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My experience with ssd

I have been in the disability process for 2 1/2 yrs. I did my application online in Nov. 07. Waited a few months or so and was denied. That is when I contacted Allsup to represent me. They filed my appeal. That was denied as well. Then, came the wait to appear before the administrative law judge, which did finally happen on Nov. 19, 2009.

My rep from Allsup was there to represent me before the ALJ of course. At the hearing, SSA had a vocational rehab rep there, that I had to be questioned by as well. The vocational rehab rep questioned me about each one of my former jobs. Mainly, about how much I lifted on each job. I handled anything from 30 to 40 lbs. on some jobs and handled some things from 70 lbs. to 100 lbs. I was a warehouse worker. I was pretty nervous during this hearing I will admit. Vocational rep and the judge then went through my testimony on these jobs. It got rather confusing for me really. Once the hearing was over, I was relieved when me and the Allsup rep left the room. After the hearing, the Allsup rep told me I had won my case. This rep approached my husband in the waiting area and told my husband that I had won my case as well. The judge though did not render any such verdict at that time. Infact, the judge ordered that I have a psychiatric evaluation, before he could make a decision. I took the psych test on Jan. 25, 2010. It was approx. 3 hours of testing. In all my 53 yrs. I had never been put through anything like this psych test. Several weeks later I get a letter from the ALJ, that he had the results of my psych exam. He did not let me know the results of this test. Only that I had 20 days to present any further evidence in my case. I had no other evidence to submit, so me and Allsup let my case stand as was.

So, I have been waiting since Nov. 19, 2009, to receive my award letter or denial letter. Allsup has tracked down where my case currently is. Judge has rendered a verdict. It is now at SSA waiting to be wrote up. Then it will be sent back to the judge for his review. The wording has to be precise or the judge will edit it. And it will be sent back to SSA, to be wrote up once again. This process can go on for some while, until the wording suits the judge.

My disabilites are bipolar, OCD, PTSD, extreme anxiety and COPD-Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. You would think with all these type problems, that it would make my battle some easier with SSA. It though has been an awful long stressful fight. The Allsup rep stated to me, that during my hearing before the ALJ, that the vocational rehab rep, did sign me off on my former jobs. Meaning I could no longer perform the jobs. My doctor also sent in a statement etc. stating that I could no longer work. So, basically I can no longer physically perform these jobs. As far as my mental capacity, the pysch exam had to be done, before any decision could be made. I have had mental illness for most of my life. I hung in there for many years, trying to function as best as I could working. I could have probably tried 10 yrs. ago on the mental illness for disability. But, I wanted to continue working. Then, with the diagnosis of lung disease, it all just became too much for me.

Allsup keeps sending me updates by letter, that it could take approximately 3-5 mths. before I receive the decision from the judge on my claim. As of April 22, it passed the 5 mth. mark. I truly do feel for anyone trying to battle SSA for their disability. My best advice is DO NOT give up on your disability claim. I have deeply researched disability and SSA. I kept coming across so many times, that SSA will deny claims, in hopes that claimants will just give up the fight. I would much rather be working. But, my health no longer allows that. I paid into the very money, that I feel I am having to beg for. Just hang in there and fight. Usually at the stage I am currently, waiting on the judge's decision, most claims are won. It has been a long hard road, but so praying I am approved for my disability. While waiting for disability it gets terribly tough financially, too. Awful tough.

Hopefully this will help someone that is in the process. Plus above all else, give them some hope. I will let you all know what my outcome is on my disability. It is causing my anxiety to be very high. But, I made it this far. I can do it. If I am denied for some reason, I will continue the fight. God Bless
kaybritches100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I wish you luck with this Kay. For so many of us it is a long and frustrating struggle.

It does not make sense to me that the Allsup lawyer would tell you that you had won before the psych eval had even been done. I hope he really has condfdence in this judge and wasn't just trying to temporarily lift your spirits.

My fingers are crossed for you !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I too am bipolar, and have post traumatic stress disorder and extreme anxiety. I'm young and I don't know what to do. I don't really believe in medications because the ones I've tried made me worse. I've always had a really hard time working. My disorders make it very hard to learn, and cope with the easiest stuff, as some people would say. It also makes it very hard to be in public, while having to be productive, or when having to eat dinner with family or friends. The extreme anxiety is the road that nobody should be traveling down, and I refuse to sell tickets.

I have yet to file for SSDI, but I guess based upon your time with it, I should file like yesterday. My only concern with filing is I don't have enough doctor evidence. My doctor here only diagnosed me bipolar, and I've only seen him probably six times. In which, I doubt that will be enough evidence.

I just don't like it how social security makes it so hard on the ones that really are disabled.
JayWhite1983 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM #4
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWhite1983 View Post
I too am bipolar, and have post traumatic stress disorder and extreme anxiety. I'm young and I don't know what to do. I don't really believe in medications because the ones I've tried made me worse. I've always had a really hard time working. My disorders make it very hard to learn, and cope with the easiest stuff, as some people would say. It also makes it very hard to be in public, while having to be productive, or when having to eat dinner with family or friends. The extreme anxiety is the road that nobody should be traveling down, and I refuse to sell tickets.

I have yet to file for SSDI, but I guess based upon your time with it, I should file like yesterday. My only concern with filing is I don't have enough doctor evidence. My doctor here only diagnosed me bipolar, and I've only seen him probably six times. In which, I doubt that will be enough evidence.

I just don't like it how social security makes it so hard on the ones that really are disabled.
You might want to start a new thread, since you have some complicated issues going on. I believe refusing to take prescribed meds can be held against you???
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:31 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Finz, thank you for replying to my post. The Allsup lawyer did say that the judge I got was a fair judge. So, I am crossing my fingers, too. I am holding my breath or what little I got of it...lol on the decision. I am going to have to see the judge's decision in writing, before I will believe it myself. So it is wait and see. Thank you again for commenting on my post. Have a wonderful day, Finz.
kaybritches100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote