Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 11:47 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Post Stress Management & Medical Hypnosis

I am exploring anything and everything that can help with my MG.

Vitamins, more sunshine, excercise and diet changes have helped me some. These things only make a small difference, but have a definite positive effect on my MG.

I really need to work on stress management in my life and I am exploring possibilities. I truly cannot deal with stress - within minutes after I experience stress, my voice goes nasal and I can't talk, my legs get weak, my mind goes into a fog and I have to find a place to sit or lay down quickly. It makes me angry that I can't even listen to someone raise their voice without me getting physical symptoms. It is ridiculous. I want to raise my tolerance of stress somehow.

Yesterday I remembered past experiences with some sort of self hypnosis or relaxation technique that I initially learned on my own as a kid. I researched and found some hope in medical hypnosis for helping with MG as well as stress. I picked up a CD from my local library called "Heal Yourself with Medical Hypnosis" by Andrew Weil and Steven Gurgevich. I am impressed with the information and this idea of the "mind of the body" that we might be able to communicate with. This CD suggests that the immune system is accessable through hypnosis, that we may be able to direct our immune system somewhat.

Medical Hypnosis sounds interesting to explore, is not expensive and doesn't have any side effects like drugs have, and if it doesn't work at least it could prove to be fun.

So, since I already have a method of self hypnosis, I want to try imagining my body making less antibodies, but I can't figure out what to imagine. This seems silly since I am a very visual person, but I can't figure out how to "see" the creation of antibodies so that I can visualize making less of them.

Today I am studying the creation of antibodies and I am coming up with a plan to "talk" to my immune system.

I feel a bit embarrassed to share this idea, since it seems like a crazy thing to do, but I am going to do it. After listening to this CD I feel very positive about the possibilities. I don't expect any miracles, but even if it helps a little it is worth the time.

Has anyone else tried Medical Hypnosis? Or anything else like it.

Any other ideas to try to manage stress? I really have a stress problem and it triggers my MG more than any other thing. I can't remove the triggers for my stress as much as I want to, so I need to deal with the stress. I don't have the time or money right now to go see a therapist, although I will keep that in mind for the future, so I am looking for things I can try on my own.

Also, I thought I would share the information, just in case someone else wants to give it a try.

I hope everyone is doing well.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
juliejayne (06-12-2014)

advertisement
Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Susan, I don't know why people have a hard time talking about hyponosis, alternative medicine or the mind/body connection. New ideas often have a sound scientific basis for them. The world used to be flat, electricity wasn't even a thought and computers weren't even an idea yet just a century or so ago.

Guided imagery has been proven to work for those with cancer, in combination with other traditional and nontraditional treatments. It's more than positive thinking - it's retraining the mind. The mind is so powerful. Just look at our dreams. I have created things in dreams that I hadn't even thought to while I'm awake. And maybe it's as simple as "If you believe it, it will be." If you believe someone is a horrid person and they're not, you will continue to believe that no matter what evidence there is to the contrary (well, not YOU but a person!). If you begin the day thinking it will be a great day, chances are it will be.

The kind of stress you and I have experienced is horrid for the immune system. Short of having a lobotomy, changing your perception through hypnosis or other PTSD therapies is a GREAT idea. And you never know what other positive effects it will have on you.

You already do such good things for yourself. You eat well, you take walks in that wonderful area you live in (well, it sounds wonderful since I haven't seen it). You look at things like this to help yourself. You are extraordinarily kind to everyone here, making sure you put a "thank you" on other posts. I have no doubt that you will find a way to get rid of the stress or at least find great ways to cope with it.

I didn't do hypnosis but I did guided meditation. It literally felt like my body was floating. Now, I can do it on my own, which you can once you've been shown how to do it enough. I have to say that it still doesn't cut the PTSD completely. I think trauma and addictions may be the hardest things to conquer.

I hope you can find a reputable hypnotist in your area to try this. Make sure you check and recheck credentials!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (04-30-2010)
Old 04-30-2010, 05:50 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Thank you Annie for the kind words and encouragement.

I agree with you that the mind is powerful, I have used my subconscious mind in the form of dreaming to solve all sorts of problems in the past. It is new for me to try to guide my subconscious mind to do things for the health of my body. I actually think this is going to be fun! I like new experiences.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:49 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Me too, Susan. Life is really pretty darn interesting and if I can learn something new or do ANYTHING to keep my mind off my MG, I'm much happier.

Let us know how it's going!

Annie
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (05-02-2010)
Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 PM #5

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread. But I tried this and it worked for me.

The way it helped me was I never stopped even when I was feeling the affects of the MG in my daily life, this helped me realise when I was getting there and take a break before I really felt the affects of being run down. It also helped me feel less tired as a result, as I was able to back off doing things I consciously didn't know were taking up a lot of effort and making my Myasthenia worse. Its really changed my mind set.

If you want more details let me know.
ElenaG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:26 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Elena, yes I would love more details. I am not a great one for hypnosis and such, I have never been able to find a way to relax, but I am interested to hear what you have tried and how it has worked or not.
juliejayne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:36 AM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

JJ (sorry if that offends you!), There are a couple of meditation exercises that you can try.

Sit comfortably in a recliner, chaise, or chair with a footstool.

1. Visualize a blue light, slowly making it's way into your head, neck, shoulders, down your arms, down your chest, and down your legs. And by slowly, I mean really slowly. Only focus on that light.

2. Imagine a setting that you love, such as a garden. Pretend that you are a leaf, slowly floating to the ground. Count slowly backwards in your mind from 20. Concentrate on the peaceful nature of the floating. Know that you are safe. Once you reach the ground, you should actually feel like your body is light and floating.

If you do meditation correctly, and practice it, you can get to a point where you can put yourself in a state of calm instantly. It's quite amazing. Or find someone experienced to teach meditation techniques to you.

Good luck!

Annie

PS, I wish Desert Flower were still here. I hope you're doing okay, Susan.
"Thanks for this!" says:
juliejayne (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 04:28 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Annie, I will give them a try.

Julie (JJ)
Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Tried and failed totally.

1. Visualized a light, but I cannot concentrate on it because of the constant prickling from muscles and the hum from my tinnitus..... FAIL.

2. Pretty much the same result.... FAIL.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:24 AM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

It takes practice. Even with a fever, head trauma, neuropathy, back pain, headache, and many other conditions (not necessarily all at once!), I can get to a "floating" phase almost immediately. I had a great trainer, though.

If you can't focus on only that one "exercise" and can't ignore the physical issues, you'll have a tough time. It's not impossible.

Try to seek out a licensed hypnotist or psychiatrist to help.

Annie

Tags
hypnosis, stress