Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 05:28 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default BBB dysfunction

This first paper proposes a link between inflammation and BBB damage, leading to degeneration of dopamine neurons.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20423606
"Additionally, several groups have proposed that dysfunction of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) combined with infiltration of peripheral immune cells play important roles in the degeneration of DA neurons. "

http://boquetespa.com/2010/05/alzhei...%99t-remember/
"Between our brain and the rest of our body is the blood brain barrier (BBB) it is there to protect the brain from whatever is circulating around in our blood. If the body is in a state of chronic inflammation, it eventually compromises our blood brain barrier" ......research has revealed a relationship between inflammation and oxidative stress causing brain cell damage or death, leading to dementia and many other problems like Alzheimer’s disease and even Parkinson’s disease.

Ron

advertisement
Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM #2
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Inhalents do bypass the blood brain barrier, do they not?

When a Cocaine addict sniffs up cocaine, he obviously does it to feel pleasure. It is also addictive. Many children in schools put nail polish remover on a cloth or Kleenex and hide it up their sleeves to take a whiff of when they want to get that "high" feelling. Stress and environmental chemicals are causes of weakening of the immune system, but the brain can be directly attacked in other ways too.

I only ask because you have made this point several times in the past and was wondering if this post was made because of a response I made on another thread. This disease makes me paranoid and I apoligize if I misunderstood your reason for posting.
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ron - this is on the trail!

Ron
In my case, there is definitely something to this inflammation theory. Due to the broken foot this past winter, I have to take Amoxicillin before having dental work or cleaning. When I take the four capsules, within hours and for the next 3-4 days, I am almost asymptomatic!

I feel that my PD would be totally under control if I took antibiotics regularly. The problem with this is what would happen to me if I had a severe infection after taking these antibiotics? I know there are more powerful ones, but then I would build up an immunity to those. So what do you suggest? What kind of testing is needed?

Peg
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (05-10-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 04:16 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

peggy-

Talk to your GP about your concern. Antibiotics come in families and if you restrict yourself to a single one you should be OK. Among the antibiotics for which anecdotal evidence exists are amoxicillin. penicillin VK. minocycline. teramycin. I think these are from a single family but I may be wrong. If he goes along with this, please keep us informed.

-rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
Ron
In my case, there is definitely something to this inflammation theory. Due to the broken foot this past winter, I have to take Amoxicillin before having dental work or cleaning. When I take the four capsules, within hours and for the next 3-4 days, I am almost asymptomatic!

I feel that my PD would be totally under control if I took antibiotics regularly. The problem with this is what would happen to me if I had a severe infection after taking these antibiotics? I know there are more powerful ones, but then I would build up an immunity to those. So what do you suggest? What kind of testing is needed?

Peg
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:22 PM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default If you are going to try this approach

You are going to have to convince your doc to assist. That means convincing him that there may be something to the neuroinflammatory model.

At my I have a rather detailed explanation with citations and entirely from peer reviewed sources. Print it out, collate, staple, and present it to him.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:15 AM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Vicky,
Don't worry, no connection with your post. I just came across these papers and posted them for interest.

Peg,
I can't really answer your question, I am not a medical Doc. Rick's advice is best to see your GP.
Ron

PS I will be on holiday for next 2 weeks, with no computer access.
"Thanks for this!" says:
vlhperry (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Oops! Stereotyping, Rick.

Just thought I'd poke you for telling me to talk to my General Practitioner (him/he), who happens to be a woman (ahem). She is from India and really prefers the holistic approach, but with all of my ailments, she just might give this a try.

Ron, go ahhead and rub it in - you're off to one of your wonderful travels again. I envy you - and be safe. I had an early Mother's Day treat and had a short cruise to Jamica - loved it, but it was far too short.

I trust you guys with your advice, and I would NEVER try anything without first running it by my GP, my neuro, my urologist, my rheumatologist, my GYN doc, and my orthopedist (lol).

Sometime, Rick, you just have to light the candle -- we know our own bodies and when something like falling backwards, or freezing,hehsitation in doorways, and all that stuff is GONE and the only change you made is you took 4 capsules of amoxicillin . well, duh!

Thanks guys - I hope somebody out there is working hard on the inflammation theory. I know several that are, so let's support them on this one..

Peg

PS - Ron, while in Chicago at the BIO Conference, I rode the bus back with a gentlemann from the UK. He was ever so interesting. Guess what he did for a living? He was a patent lawyer - he sounded exactly like you - must be from the same area. I keep looking for his card he gave me.
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default peg

If you don't mind, would you be more specific as to dose and time for the amoxicillin? And at what point did you notice improvement? When did it revert? If your GP is game, get its help to document your condition just before you start and again when you are most improved.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:53 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello,
Rick, even doctors admit that inflammation could play an important role in the pathophysiology of PD.
You must explain to me how Peggy could be asymptomatic after some days on antibiotics. I am sure your observation is true, Peggy. I just cannot see how the damage of an inflammatory process that has been going for years could be restored in a few days. There must be more than one explanation to your “recovery”.

Aleks
Aleks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Elementary, my dear Aleks

Actually, it is simple only in retrospect.
In the case of both immune and endocrine involvement, cytokines and hormones serve their respective systems as messengers. They are also neuroactive - they act as neurotransmitters and affect our normal abilities. This is in addition to the damage to the SN. The latter is a chronic situation while the former is an acute.

About two years ago, Ron Hutton gave us a demonstration of this when an infected tooth made him near helpless for two weeks. His immune system's cytokines laid him low.

I myself have just performed a similar demonstration of the ability of the endocrine system to do the same thing via hormones in response to extreme stress.

In both cases it was the body's reaction that did the deed, not the outside force.

If an antibiotic has an antiinflammatory effect, it can block further production of the cytokines. Anecdotal reports of such action exist for amoxicillin and penicillin VK. Minocycline has also been used.

Given how absurdly simple it would be to determine if it warranted further study, what possible reason could justify not doing so?