advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default T.o.s.

I have had 2 surgeries on my right arm and I now have permanet nerve damage and only 25 to 30% use of the right arm. I have tried getting SSD but they say i havent worked long enough. does anyone know how to go around this to receive ssd. ty
whitesshewolf50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Do you have other symptoms, high pain?

Is only the arm affected by your TOS?
Any neck, upper back or shoulder pain?

We also have a TOS forum where you might find help & information.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum24.html

How many more hours or quarters do you need to have , did the paper work say?

What kind of work did you do? Was it a work related injury?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesshewolf50 View Post
I have had 2 surgeries on my right arm and I now have permanet nerve damage and only 25 to 30% use of the right arm. I have tried getting SSD but they say i havent worked long enough. does anyone know how to go around this to receive ssd. ty
If you do not have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI, the severity of your medical condition will not matter. If you have limited income and resources you may qualify for SSI. If you do not meet the criteria to be eligible for either program then your case will not even be sent to the DDS for a medical review. There is no way to "get around" the law.
steve3d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Nope. You have to pay enough into the SSDI system to get anything out. You could apply for the SSI (Supplemental Security Income) program which is a welfare type program for the disabled.

But you would still have to prove that you were unable to perform any kind of work with your limitations. I have an elderly uncle who was born at home and had a deformed arm that wasn't much use to him, but worked until age 65 and even played tennis. And there was a minor league baseball player with one arm. Obviously they learned to compensate at an early age and it is more difficult as you get older. Have you looked into getting some rehabilitation and learning how to work activities with less use of your arm?

I'd suggest trying to find a way to work and work as long as you can, especially if your condition may get progressively worse over time.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I would have to agree. I am sorry for your situation. I think you'll have to go back to work and maybe try and earn enough quarters. If your condition becomes impossible to work, then you could reapply. I wish you the very best!!!!!
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 PM #6
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
I don't know how old you are whitesshewolf, but this could help: Also if you are a widow or widower you could be eligible as early as 50 if you are found disabled.

If you have not worked or do not
have enough Social Security credits

If you have not worked or do not have enough Social Security credits and you are married, you may be eligible for Social Security benefits as a result of your husband’s work. You and your children (younger than age 18 or younger than age 19 if still in secondary school or disabled before age 22) have Social Security protection through your husband’s work. When he retires, or if he becomes disabled, you could be eligible for benefits as early as age 62. If you are caring for your child who is younger than age 16 or disabled and entitled to benefits, you could receive benefits at any age.

If you choose to begin receiving wife’s benefits before you reach full retirement age, your benefit amount will be reduced and will not be increased once you reach full retirement age. If you wait until you reach full retirement age, you will receive the maximum benefit, which is up to half of the amount your husband is entitled to receive at his full retirement age.
You and your husband will be eligible for Medicare at age 65

NOTE: If your husband is full retirement age, he can apply for retirement benefits and then request to have payments suspended. That way, you can receive a spouse’s benefits and he can continue to earn delayed retirement credits until age 70.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote