Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 07:06 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Leg pain

Anyone else get bad pain in their shins while they are sleeping? It is different from cramps. With cramps I can put pressure on it, stand up, and it helps the pain go away. I do get those kind more frequently, a couple of times a week.

These other leg pains are a burning pain in my shins that wake me up. It hurts worse to put pressure on it. If I move the wrong way they tighten up and hurt extremely bad. They make me want to scream they hurt so bad as I tense up it gets worse. This usually lasts for 15 to 30 minutes.

Would taking a Mestinon tablet help? I thought about putting ice on them, but it hurts to walk on it and the ice is downstairs.

Any other ideas for immediate pain relief? Right now I only get these about once a month.
Tbarney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I use to get these every once in a while. Now I am getting them like every night they are horrible. They are def like u said different then cramps but that's what it feels like. I don't know what it is or how to make em stop. I told my neuro and he said that it could be the mestinon but I did some experimenting and I don't think it is. I need my mestinon or I can walk but now with this I can barely walk... ivig has been the only miracle for me andim waiting for the lovely insurance who is taking. Their sweet time { they don't haveta live my life }
Newbie87 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Have you told your doctor about it? Leg pain like that should always be investigated. Peripheral artery disease is a common cause. Yes, it could be from MG but it could also be from lots of other things like clots or an imbalance in electrolytes, etc. Maybe your doc could have standing orders for a blood chemistry for when it happens again.

Does it happen any other time? After walking a while? Maybe keep a journal too, like what you had for dinner the night before they happen (i.e., high potassium meal, like with tomatoes, etc.).

It's definitely worth a trip to your internist.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:49 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't see my neuro until Nov. Last time I was there I was doing so well that I didn't have to come back for 6 months. If it continues I will see him or my family Dr.

I had shown him a red rash I get on my calves when it is really hot out and I have been standing on my feet. He had no idea what it was. I told my dermatologist about it and she said it was due to poor circulation. I should wear support socks when standing

I get bloodwork done every month since I take CellCept, would something show up there?

It only happens when I am lying in bed.

Last edited by Tbarney; 08-09-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, that and the rash should prompt a visit to your primary doctor soon.

A lack of circulation is not a small issue. A cardiologist is the one who would assess that for you.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:59 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Annie. I researched Peripheral Artery Disease and many symptoms sound similar to what I have. My heels hurt a lot too, I wonder if that may be related. UUGGHHHH

Wouldn't you know it, I am a teacher and start back next week. I have been off since June 4th, but haven't needed to go to the Dr. during that time.

I'll call tomorrow to get into my family dr. and go from there.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's possible that your symptoms might be due to something as simple as Plantar Fascitis. As we get older, the muscles in the bottom of the foot can lose their elasticity - when that happens, the "arch" in the foot starts to "sink", which causes extra strain on the muscles in the foot, heel, and leg. That can cause them to hurt like an SOB - you would definitely feel it in your shins and heels - and most people report feeling more pain at night (even to the point of being woken up ). The pain tends to get better throughout the day as the muscles get stretched out during walking.

Fortunately, Plantar Fascitis is almost always able to be fixed with custom-made shoe inserts that are worn every day (and if you don't wear them, you WILL start to feel pain again.....). Sometimes when we wear sandals in the summer, that can make things worse as well, as they don't tend to have as much support as "closed" shoes. It takes about a week or two to get used to wearing the inserts, but after that you forget they're there. And the relief is nothing short of AMAZING.

If the inserts by themselves don't help completely, some people wear corrective "boots" at night - they basically look like the covers you see on leg casts. These keep the feet at a 90-degree angle to the legs, which keeps the leg muscles stretched out while you are sleeping. Most people don't need to use these (the inserts usually do the trick); however, it's another aid that is available if need be.
As far as your rash goes, have you checked to see if one or more of the medications that you are taking has a warning about being in the sun while taking it? I never cease to be amazed at how many medications and/or supplements now carry that warning. If you are taking more than one medication that is "sun-sensitive", it increases the possibility that you will have a reaction.

Does your rash itch? Is it primarily under the skin, does it consist of raised bumps, or is it a combination of the two? It's a silly question, but have you started using a different brand of sunscreen? It's possible that you may be sensitive to one or more of the ingredients and/or there may be an interaction between the sunscreen ingredients and one of your other medications.
All of the things that you mentioned are probably due to something simple, but you should definitely visit your doctor, just to rule out anything serious. A doctor/podiatrist will have to diagnose Plantar Fascitis if you want your insurance to help with the cost of inserts and/or other aids.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by teresakoch; 08-10-2010 at 10:34 AM.
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Years ago my GP thought I had Plantar Fascitis. It hurt on the bottom of my feet. It got better when I stretched it out with resistance against it. What I have now allows me to put no pressure on it.

I noticed today that even flexing to put my foot on the gas when driving made me ach a little, I just was praying it didn't tighten up on me while driving.

The red rash does not itch at all. My dermatologist thinks it is circulation related. I did take pictures of it show I can show the dr. I take CellCept which does make you more sensitive to the sun. On Friday nights from Jan to July I work at a job where I stand on a cement floor from about 7 pm to 4 am after teaching all day. It only showed up the last 2 years in July when it was really hot outside, which made it hot inside the building also.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My feet did the same thing before I started wearing inserts. It's certainly worth looking into, just to be sure. The inserts help keep that muscle stretched out - if you look at pictures of those muscles at the bottom of your foot and just how many other muscles are attached to them, it's easy to see how if one of them isn't operating at peak capacity it can affect so many others.

It's an "age" thing, unfortunately. The funny thing is that when I went on a gluten-free diet 2 years ago, my muscles all got stronger - I guess because my body started to absorb all of the nutrients necessary to get to my muscles. I found that I didn't need to wear my inserts any more; my feet stopped hurting. I could actually feel the arch lift up after a couple of months.

I'm sure it will come back as time goes on, but at least then I'll know what I'm dealing with. As I recall, though, the pain was quite intense. But it did go away after I started wearing the inserts - within a couple of weeks, if I remember correctly.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to find some relief soon!
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:26 PM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I disagree that plantar fasciitis is an inevitable part of growing old. Sorry, Teresa, but I'm "old" with MG and have never had it. Not even back when I was young and wore heels to work.

The fact that you have it in both legs and that you also have a rash, even if it is a side effect of a medication, is concerning.

Only a doctor can tell you for sure if it's something you can shrug off or if it's something more serious. I hope you will write down all of your symptoms, when they occur, exactly where they are on your leg/ankle/foot and what they feel like.

There are diseases, like Ankylosing Spondylitis, which can have more frequent aches and pains like that. I'm not saying that is what you have but using it as an example of the many things that can make your muscles feel that way.

Sure, just having MG is enough to make muscles weak and become strained but what you are describing does not sound like simple muscle strain. Also, inflammation can increase after being in the sun. The sun's rays are toxins to our bodies. People with lupus are more sensitive to its effects.

I hope you do get to the bottom of whatever is going on.

Annie