Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 12:46 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Rtb?

Has anyone tried RTB? Or Brain State....
My symptoms these days are easy to deal with but im always open to try new things. Ive heard some great things about this and was wondering if anyone knew anyone who has tried it?

http://www.brainstatetech.com/
http://www.brainwaveharmony.ca/
Mikeyy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-17-2010, 01:41 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hey Mikeyy,

Long time no see.

How are you doing?

RTB Brain training is just one of many protocols that claim to be like neurofeedback. Instead of using Light (ROSHI) or electro-magnetic pulses (LENS), it uses sound. It likely has an FDA exemption as long as it is not marketed for the diagnosis and/or treatment of an medical condition.

Notice that the claims alludes to improvements or benefits by people with specific medical conditions. Note that the main web page says

Meditation has been shown to help with the following:

Then lists many medical conditions.

It does not make straight forward claims to treat these conditions. But, the thought is there. Slick marketing. This is a unproven method of therapy sold as a relaxation aid. This is a limitation from the FDA. FDA exempt status just means that it has been shown to not produce danger to patients.

Most programs like this suggest caution for those who have a history of seizure. This site does not make such a caution. This troubles me.

Auditory stimuli can trigger seizure activity just like light stimuli can.

Does it work????

Maybe. The placebo effect is not ruled out. Ninety minutes of relaxation will help everybody. The placebo effect has been shown to help 60% or more of people with some of the listed conditions.

There needs to be double blind studies done with a more complete pre and post treatment assessment. But, that would get in the way of the short term profit motive.

I see commercialization written all over this product. The slick marketing give me great pause. The lack of medical credentials for its use is also a concern. They do train practitioners to a basic level of EEG technician.

I am not saying to not try it. Just try it with your eyes open and your wallet protected. Be very cautious how a bill for this is presented to your health insurance company. It could come back to bite you.

FYI,

I have found certain auditory sounds, i.e. specially selected music, that helps to harmonize my brain. My brain will go from extreme anxiety/chaos to calm and relaxed within the 45 minutes of a CD playing. Usually the first 10 to 15 minutes is all it takes. It only cost me $14.00 US.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Mark im doing good!

I know you're very good at posting about your experiences and you have a great deal of research in concussion topics but Ive found with almost everything Ive tried thus far Ive helped myself out a LOT

From my "Chiropractor" to the neuroscience test I can really say that ive found the $ Ive invested has helped me. I literally have days where im 100% symptom free and others where I feel some irregularities but NOTHING in comparison to my first 2 years of PCS.

Im going to give this an "assessment test" on wed to see what they have to say. I was hoping people on here had tried it but I dont mind being the guinea pig. I had 1 person close to me who has had a very serious brain injury try it. Himself he said he didnt notice a difference, but both his mother and brother said it really seemed to help his mood.

Ill keep you updated with my progress and im going to get my wife to help give me some feedback on how she feels im doing

Best wishes everyone
Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I agree that it may help improve mood, etc. The concept of sustained relaxation will be beneficial.

Just like with NeuroScience, I did not say it does not help. Just that the company is far to profit driven versus patient oriented. It also has a strange presentation of Pharmasan Labs as 'independent' and well recognized. Between the placebo value of these therapies and the true improvement due to them, they may be beneficial to many people.

My point is to go into the process with eyes open and wallet closed, or at least protected.

I am not a an advocate for our FDA but they do have some decent regulations that help expose unfounded technologies.

There are many Brain Training companies forming with venture capital and future IPO's. Brain Training is considered to be a growth market due to the many aging Baby Boomers and their great financial resources.

As in all such situations, your mileage may vary.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:25 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hey Mark
I see what you mean about it really being a relaxing session.. and I can see your analysis. I just finished my 10th session. I will say during the first couple of sessions I DEFINITELY felt a change in my head.. at one point I felt my face being tweaked left, it was very strange to say the least.

Im going to see what happens over the next 2 weeks and update everyone.... Im very optimistic so I hope im not proven wrong, but at the end of the day im willing to try anything that could help